RPCCS

pump/controller issue
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:14 pm »
I have a 100 psi pump connected to a varistream digital controller. For years I have run it with the flow rate at 2 ,and the pressure at 3, without any problems, but recently it has been fluctuating, ie the water flows fine for about 20m seconds , then drops to a trickle, for about 5-10, then starts again, this is constant. Also, when trying to increase both flow and pressure ,to do a conservatory roof, it gets worse.  I couldn't say up the flow and pressure to 6, it would run for about 5 seconds up to pressure , then cut out for bout the same, and so on. The only way to overcome this, is to run both flow and pressure at full ,9.  Why is this happening and how can it be overcome?
Cheers Rich

paul alan

Re: pump/controller issue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:20 pm »
Sounds more controller than pump, lm sure if spruce is around he'll know the answer.

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:50:20 pm »
have you tried running the flow at 2 and just putting the pressure up (depending on the varistream the low pressure setting is numbered but the higher pressure settings are lettered a,b,c etc so are you sure you're increasing the pressure enough?). Also you may need to up the cut out pressure/dead end on the varistream as this time of year the water will not flow as easy due to it getting colder so requires a bit more pressure to keep the same flow. Watch the controller while its running when the water stops if its flashing with a "P" then you're reaching your cut off pressure to early.
This may help http://www.williamsonpumps.com/ekmps/shops/wpltd/resources/Other/varistream-vsd6-quick-start-guide-aug-2011.pdf

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:40 pm »
have you tried running the flow at 2 and just putting the pressure up (depending on the varistream the low pressure setting is numbered but the higher pressure settings are lettered a,b,c etc so are you sure you're increasing the pressure enough?). Also you may need to up the cut out pressure/dead end on the varistream as this time of year the water will not flow as easy due to it getting colder so requires a bit more pressure to keep the same flow. Watch the controller while its running when the water stops if its flashing with a "P" then you're reaching your cut off pressure to early.
This may help http://www.williamsonpumps.com/ekmps/shops/wpltd/resources/Other/varistream-vsd6-quick-start-guide-aug-2011.pdf
Yes it is, to set the flow, you just press the up arrow to the required number, to set the pressure, you hold up and down until number flashes, then press up or down to the selected number again, then switch controller off, and on again, to use with the new setting. As per diagram, so you suggest ramping the pressure up, but leaving the flow the same? I'll give that a go, is there a way to reset the controller to factory settings and start again?
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:14 pm »
Sounds more controller than pump, lm sure if spruce is around he'll know the answer.
Sent him a pm on Aquatec forum
Cheers Rich

Don Kee

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:07 pm »
Leave the flow the same and put the pressure up.

Just stick it up by 2 more than you have it on when it was stuttering and see if that helps. If not keep ramping it up by 1 until it kicks in
(also make sure you save the pressure setting, mate of mine swore he'd done all this only to find out that when he was switching it off he wasn't saving the setting and it just kept going back to the original "problem setting")

p1w1

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »
Yes it is, to set the flow, you just press the up arrow to the required number, to set the pressure, you hold up and down until number flashes, then press up or down to the selected number again, then switch controller off, and on again, to use with the new setting. As per diagram, so you suggest ramping the pressure up, but leaving the flow the same? I'll give that a go, is there a way to reset the controller to factory settings and start again?
Yes

RPCCS

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »
Thanks,  what about the last question ,re re setting?
Cheers Rich

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:39:19 am »

Don't know about this one, have you tried disconnecting the controller from the battery to see if that works?

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:18 am »
When you buy a Varistream, deadend is set up at "C".  So your cutoff pressure is far too low.

However, over the years we have had to reduce that cutoff pressure from "C" to 8 or 9 depending on the viscosity of the water. The fastest flow I use is 5 as that gives me a good rinse rate. But at 5 I use more water overall so I compromise at 4.

My controller will just manage a flow of 6 with minibore hose. If i push the flow to 7 then my controller starts to pulse as the flow I'm asking for is too high for the pressure needed to drive the water at that flow.

Our controllers are still the original digital units released after the analogue ones, so electronic components aren't as good as they were. Apparently they wear out like everything else does, me especially.

Of course, the other thing to consider is what has changed recently and has this change resulted in your problems?

If not, then is there a blockage somewhere? It could be in the form of a kinked hose somewhere in the bowels of your hose reel. You will need to pull the hose all the way out and check, then recoil it layering it nicely.

We also had an issue with one of those Hozelok stop connectors. It worked fine for 6 months and then it only opened partially half way through a job. It took me ages to find that - even drove home to get my multimeter to test the leisure battery.  Now none of the Hozelok connectors are the stop type.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

RPCCS

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:57 am »

Don't know about this one, have you tried disconnecting the controller from the battery to see if that works?
yeah , no ,difference, will look at the hose, as Spruce has suggested.
Cheers Rich

johnwillan

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 09:53:34 am »
Check for blockage working back from the brush head and checking ALL connections, had a similar issue the other day turned out to be a tiny piece of swarf in the hose reel barb.

HTH

John

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
Check your pump strainer, if this is blocked it can give the same symptoms as you describe as the pump can't draw the water fast enough.
Comfortably Numb!

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 05:23:05 pm »
No one has asked about the battery.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

koopmaster

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »
a battery with a dead cell would do that

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:43 pm »
Well,  did you find the fault? :)
Comfortably Numb!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:32 pm »
your post sounds similar to one of my recent problems that i posted i had so much good help so in turn i must try to help too!

for me it was the connections check the connections to the battery heres what i did
Pull the battery out and clean up the connectors using appropriate cleaning material
cut the wires which lead to the battery (they should be dark as the years rolled on and make sure the new copper look is showing) clean up the battery connectors that part was really important and re connect it all up again make sure the contacts are properly touching. when you re connect it all up you may notice a stronger spark as the connectors touch compared to last time thats a good sign!

one other thing i hate those controllers... i had one new refused to work just showed a silly letter of the alphabet the supplier tested it and gave me half my money back as it was new but i didn't use it for around a year and he took it back , he first plugged in a different one and it was also temperamental he said he has had issues with them being a little to sensitive particularity when you have a (slight) voltage problem unlike the controllers with 3 digits (my favorite) these tend to show the battery sign and i heard something about them not liking 6m hose so he swapped it out and charged me half price for the 3 digit kind.. dont know i guess you have problems with everything if its worked for you im sure its worked for many but personally id do away with those controllers don't like them

RPCCS

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:55 pm »
I un coiled the reel, no  kinks, battery is reading fully charged, connections were renewed earlier this year, strainer is clear.
I tried what a couple of you suggested, ramped the pressure up, to 6, and left the flow at 2, did a couple of jobs today, and all seems well. One thing I did notice, I'm using 8mm on the reel, and  there is one join, where it cot a split,,on  the inner end of the join, the hose seems thicker than the outer, there is another section much further towards the inner end of the hose, that is the same, seems much thicker one place, the normal elsewhere??
I swapped ends a couple of years back, (reversed the hose, put the pole end to the reel, and vice versa)
Cheers Rich

slap bash

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »
Controllers are a crap idea find a flow rate they you want to work at and save money by through the controller in the bin. I have a second pump on the same line if I need a higher flow rate. Two switches and not maintenance cost. I cannot stand a very simple process made complicated by too many items in the system.  It`s all invented to make us feel like big deal window cleaners which we are not. It's all a con.  Take a good look at your window cleaning results. They are no better than a chap with all these complicated systems. Take a good reality check. All the brushes and all the extra poles etc.  All it does is stop us getting bored. Dig a hole in your garden through ego in, cover up and enjoy your hard earned cash.