Tosh

Gutter vac accessories.
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:22:10 pm »
Any idea what this piece of kit can be fixed to, to be able to use it at height in helping to flush through down-pipes and swan-necks.

I know I could cable tie it to a regular pole and then fix hozelock fittings to it that are connected to an outside tap, but is there anything on the market that is suitable?

Thanks TIA.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Dave Willis

Re: Gutter vac accessories.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:14:50 am »
A pressure washing lance?

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:23:05 pm »
They’re not that long are they. Im hoping for one to use to reach 2 storey gutters.

Ive sussed it actually. Ive got a spare six 27, I’ll use that. Thanks though.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »
Just been on the phone to Spinaclean, they sell these as well to go with it.

http://gutter-cleaning-tools.co.uk/product/spinaclean-24ft-telescopic-lance/

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:26:23 pm »
Will you get the necessary pressure from an outside tap?

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 02:28:20 pm »
Its intended just to help flush through swan-necks. Which’ll be adequate hopefully.

Id not a small restrictor on it should build u some pressure to help flush it out.

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:00:18 pm »
A simple solution is to use a hoselock cone nozzle attached to the end of a wfp connected to an outside tap. Preferably using a 1/2 inch garden hose for the higher flow. That has worked well for me in the past for clearing blockages in swan necks and water testing gutter runs. However after saying that it will not obviously remove what has caused the blockage in the swan neck in the first place like broken bits of tile, mortar, twigs, etc.

I sometimes use this method as a last resort when I can't set up ladders safely on 2 storey properties. Mind after saying that it's now very rare I would need to use ladders or have to go clambering around the likes of pitched ground floor roofs to unblock swan necks by hand.

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:14:40 pm »

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 03:16:57 pm »
Never tried one myself so can't comment.

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
I think I'll get one on my next order, can't go wrong at that price.

Nick Day

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »
I tried every method I could to sort out the downpipe/swanneck problem. It has to be remembered that the blockage has normally occurred through weed growth or a large bunch of leaves causing the original block.  As water seeps through the grains of muck are pulled together so you end up with a complete blockage and a substantial lump of material, usually weed roots and a compacted root ball. The amount of pressure required to clear that would probably cause a cascade over the gutters (and you) and  as the water has elsewhere to go and would have little effect. I think you would find the force of the water would act as a jet and would constantly push the lance back.
We constructed a swanneck on a board, filled it with muck, weeds and leaves etc. you would be amazed at what it took to penetrate and clear it. We used UK pipe clearers for our first downpipe cleaner, but they just twisted and knotted up without any penetration.   We finally sourced one from Germany that we use with a battery powered screwdriver mounted on our  poles and the result is incredible. We have never been defeated yet.
You will probably find that a water fed pole will just be to whippy to be any use.
Good luck with your efforts though.

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:16:49 pm »
You're probably right but it could be handy for checking the S bend is reasonably clear. I often lay the brush in the gutter and press my ear to the downpipe. If I can see or hear the water coming down then sometimes that's good enough. If you don't get the brush head in the right place then the water can simply head off back the other way. The flush tool could be useful just to squirt the water down the right place.

Nick Day

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 07:42:10 pm »
We have always worked to develop tools that work and are simple. The downpipe clearer is simply a standard pipe clearer that has been use for years, and adapted it for downpipe clearing.
Our mantra is if something is successful simply copy.
That is what we did with the downpipe cleaner.
We let it work until it "bites" then churns through the blockage. We pull it back still spinning and let it turn down three or four times and that is it.
We have cleared hundreds, and never been called back.
We don't charge a lot, but if you are "having it off" financially you can always push a hose pipe up
 and round the head to rinse.
It is a relief to leave every job, knowing that you will not be called back.
You should see the faces of customers watching it. The response is always the same, "have you patented that?" unfortunately it is not original to pipe clearing.