Iain_P

Access to water
« on: January 22, 2004, 04:25:01 pm »
i am starting a cleaning round and am unsure about where to get the water from once i am several miles from my house, i would think that with a van you would just have a water tank but i will be using my car. do you just ask a customer once the bucket is empty?

fez

Re: Access to water
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 04:40:01 pm »
I use a car at the moment and I fill up every morning with hot water in a large plastic drum. The kind of thing that you buy from a camping shop for about £8 and it lasts me most, if not all of the day. If you put it in the boot with your bags of scrims and towels around it, it stays warm all day. ;D

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 12:36:25 am »
fit 1 of those bottle inside a box in your boot, line the box with 2 inch polystrene (get it from a builder suppler, or even a DIY store, B&Q) only cheap, a few quid, it stays warm all day

i have 2 X 1 Gallon comfort softener containers, 1 for the morning and 1 for the afternoon, works a treat

taffy_2

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 09:48:44 pm »
go to your nearest ambulance station or fire station and ask for their old 25 ltr containers they use for keeping traffic lane cleaner they use to wash their veichles I dont have any problems having these

denzle

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 10:29:16 pm »
We use the Pulex oblong bucket which is half filled with water each morning with a dash of dish soap added. These buckets have lids which when attached stops the water sloshing out.
This bucket is kept purely for swilling out the stip washers every few houses. On our work belts we have holsters with 1lt sports type bottles on, these have the gg4 / water mix in which is applied directly to the strip washer as needed. There is no need to carry a bucket around with you with this set up. 1lt of gg4 mixture will do at least 6 houses which is about when the stip washer needs a freshen up in the bucket.
It works brilliantly for us.
Hope this helps
Denzle

crystal

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 10:35:51 pm »
on the subject of gg4 can you mix a large amount up & keep it for as & when its needed probably over months in my case without the mix weakening or is the shelf life indefinite :-[ :-[ ???

simonb

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 10:36:51 pm »
By 'stip washer' do you mean applicator?

denzle

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 10:42:39 pm »
Yes, sorry we just call them strip washers.
I mix up GG4 in large quantities, usually in 5lt
" Comfort " bottles which are kept in the vans. I usually make up about 20 bottles at a time and it doesn't seem to loose any of its cleaning properties.
Just beware that if it freezes really hard you are likely to have 20 comfort bottle shaped lollies in the morning though.
Denzle

crystal

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 10:56:26 pm »
go to your nearest ambulance station or fire station and ask for their old 25 ltr containers they use for keeping traffic lane cleaner they use to wash their veichles I dont have any problems having these

also  another free supplier is the local garage/petrol station i picked one up yesterday ;D used for the shampoo for car wash, make sure you rinse it out well tho :D

crystal

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 11:01:42 pm »
thanks denzle, ive just got a sample of gg3 it says 3ml to a bucket mix does this sound ok is this what you do or is it each to his own to see what suits me best ???

matt

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 11:54:51 pm »
it depends on your location and type of water

we use 15ml per gal

fez

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 11:57:28 pm »
Try it with 3ml and you'll struggle a little with squeegeeing, I find that 10ml is about the optimum amount; any more and it starts to foam too much and any less and it becomes harder to squeegee.

Just experiment a little. Have you got a measurer? ???

crystal

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 01:02:48 am »
Try it with 3ml and you'll struggle a little with squeegeeing, I find that 10ml is about the optimum amount; any more and it starts to foam too much and any less and it becomes harder to squeegee.

Just experiment a little. Have you got a measurer? ???

nope , no measure just sample bottle is 30ml so guess ill mix different measures & see which suits best got a plastic spoon the type given with medicine its 3ml use that im in a soft water area by the way ;D ;D

denzle

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 03:08:51 pm »
Its very much a trial and error process, we live in a fairly hard water area so i add about 10-15 mls of GG4. just experiment until you get the formula that works well for you.
Denzle

STEVE71163

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 03:27:02 pm »
thanks denzle, ive just got a sample of gg3 it says 3ml to a bucket mix does this sound ok is this what you do or is it each to his own to see what suits me best ???

Hi Crystal
              I quarter fill a contractor bucket and then add 10ml of GG4 but i think its a bit of trial and error until you get it to suit you.

Steve

crystal

Re: Access to water New
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004, 06:44:50 pm »
thanks to all for tips 8) looks like im about to have cleaner windows than ever before until i get it right at least  :-X