Simon_Gallagher

Cleaning Stained Glass Windows
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:29 pm »
Hi can anyone recommend the best ways to clean and really "bring up" stained glass windows, that have lead surrounds on them, quite a lot of it.  Should i just use regular fairy liquid or could this damage the coloured glass??? Any information would be gratefully accepted.  email is deviantart@hotmail.co.uk.

Again thanks, hope everyone is well.... ;D

Simon Gallagher

steve brophy

Re: Cleaning Stained Glass Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:52:15 pm »
if your trad you can clean them with a damp scrim.

if you WFP just WFP them

take it slow

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:56:55 am »
I have a very fussy customer who goes round and inspects every window after i have cleaned it, (all eighteen of them) . The whole house is stained glass. The first time I cleaned the house i used an applicator and plenty of soapy water and cleaned off with a scrim. She said the windows were streaky. The second time I used a damp cloth and scrim, this time she said there were smear marks, (which had come from the lead). Ive now found the answer for this customer. For the last four visits I havnt used any water at all, just wipe the dust off, and give it a quick polish. The job now takes a fraction of the time and she seems very happy with the end result.

Tony   

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:24:51 am »
Microfibre and some window cleaning spray, very lightly mist it, then buff it up. No need for scrim.

I have a very fussy customer who goes round and inspects every window after i have cleaned it, (all eighteen of them) . The whole house is stained glass. The first time I cleaned the house i used an applicator and plenty of soapy water and cleaned off with a scrim. She said the windows were streaky. The second time I used a damp cloth and scrim, this time she said there were smear marks, (which had come from the lead). Ive now found the answer for this customer. For the last four visits I havnt used any water at all, just wipe the dust off, and give it a quick polish. The job now takes a fraction of the time and she seems very happy with the end result.

Tony   

No wonder you left smears and streaks.  :-\