Solar Steve

DI Resin Wizard Needed...
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:06:46 pm »
Does anyone know how long 20L of DI resin will last with an inflowing TDS reading of 330ppm, with a flow rate of 7L/m please?

Stoots

Re: DI Resin Wizard Needed...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »
not very long

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:32:56 pm »
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

alanwilson

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:19 pm »
Depends what you mean by how long? What is the point at which you feel the resin is exhausted? 5ppm, 10ppm, 20ppm?

Basically 1ltr of resin should remove about 20,000ppm, so:
20,000/330=60ltrs x 20ltrs of resin = 1200ltrs of pure

However you may find the FDA creeping up before that due to flow rate as resin needs time to remove impurities. If you have a large vessel that will hold the 20ltrs you could possibly get away with 1000ltrs of pure before the resin is spent.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:43 pm »
Why not just set one up on a test bed to get the answer?

jk999

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:35 pm »
Depends what you mean by how long? What is the point at which you feel the resin is exhausted? 5ppm, 10ppm, 20ppm?

Basically 1ltr of resin should remove about 20,000ppm, so:
20,000/330=60ltrs x 20ltrs of resin = 1200ltrs of pure

However you may find the FDA creeping up before that due to flow rate as resin needs time to remove impurities. If you have a large vessel that will hold the 20ltrs you could possibly get away with 1000ltrs of pure before the resin is spent.
a 1000 litres before resin spent omg .I use two seperate di s 4.6 ltrs  and 6.9 ltrs and I get a he'll off a lot more than a 1000 ltrs and my tds is over 300

alanwilson

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:10:59 pm »
Yes but you are running 2 vessels in tandem. I don't know what setup the op has
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Solar Steve

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:04:09 am »
The vessels will be in tandem and water need some of be less than10ppm.

jk999

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:01 pm »
I get better result s from two than one large one .When I changed to two I got at least another two week of use out of resin

C & S

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28:17 pm »
Harvest rain water in a few water puts from house guttering, although its getting into spring.

Not sure about your setup at home,flat etc however get a cheap 300gpd system of fleabay. And produce. Its slow but good for a start before you upgrade system.

In all honesty
Di is not cost effective for you, take resin costs, leaflets, fuel etc you may as well get another job.
If you do use it for now as we all been their, tap should be very low pressure, it will be slow however prolong resisn life, get another vessel (cheap 2nd hand fleabay) makes it last longer.

When your tds starts to creep, shake the vessels.

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 01:35:23 pm »
Harvest rain water in a few water puts from house guttering, although its getting into spring.

Not sure about your setup at home,flat etc however get a cheap 300gpd system of fleabay. And produce. Its slow but good for a start before you upgrade system.

In all honesty
Di is not cost effective for you, take resin costs, leaflets, fuel etc you may as well get another job.
If you do use it for now as we all been their, tap should be very low pressure, it will be slow however prolong resisn life, get another vessel (cheap 2nd hand fleabay) makes it last longer.

When your tds starts to creep, shake the vessels.

I think solar Steve is past the start up stage in his career.... he's a global megastar cleaning solar panels all over the world 🌎

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
The vessels will be in tandem and water need some of be less than10ppm.

Stop messing about and just start importing the stuff in bulk. I'm sure you can afford to then it don't matter how long it's going to last now does it.

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
Why just D.I. whats not good about R.O.?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

robert mitchell

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
Why just D.I. whats not good about R.O.?

Im guessing its for purifying on site as you go maybe?
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »
Use an R.O. then. Buy a PRF from Gardiners. Very compact, we made pure last year on a long term job in London on site.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 07:37:19 pm »
Use an R.O. then. Buy a PRF from Gardiners. Very compact, we made pure last year on a long term job in London on site.

I'm sure steve is well aware of portable ro/di systems available as have been in this game a long time.
He is looking for a flow rate of 7 lpm from di tanks only. Hmmm...robots springs to mind. lol

Solar Steve

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 04:20:37 am »
Thank you all for your responses. I was hoping maybe Alex Gardiner or Doug Daqua may have picked this up too and provided an accurate figure.

Thanks again.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:56 am »
Thank you all for your responses. I was hoping maybe Alex Gardiner or Doug Daqua may have picked this up too and provided an accurate figure.

Thanks again.

There can be no accurate formula for a multi-DI set up as the input TDS from the first vessel is not static. I would suggest you just try it.
Comfortably Numb!

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:54 am »
Going by gardiners calc  for argument sake to get an idea I put in the following info

cost of resin £79
size of di 20 ltr
input tds 330
monthly usage 10,000 ltr
cost per month = £475
change every 0.6 weeks
That works out at 47p per ltr to produce.
To put it another way using 7 lpm would cost just in water alone £3.29 per min to run so I do  hope that robot works quick. lol

That is not taking the flow rate  into consideration either as the higher the flow the sooner it will kill the resin. Having a double di will incure further costs and messing about surely?  Changing spent resin in large 20 ltr di tanks must be a real pain in the arse to do too.

As mentioned before best setup the configuration  you want on a test bench to find out the real cost.

Good luck.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:50 am »
Going by gardiners calc  for argument sake to get an idea I put in the following info

cost of resin £79
size of di 20 ltr
input tds 330
monthly usage 10,000 ltr
cost per month = £475
change every 0.6 weeks
To put it another way using 7 lpm would cost just in water alone £3.29 per min to run so I do  hope that robot works quick. lol

That is not taking the flow rate  into consideration either as the higher the flow the sooner it will kill the resin. Having a double di will incure further costs and messing about surely?  Changing spent resin in large 20 ltr di tanks must be a real pain in the arse to do too.

As mentioned before best setup the configuration  you want on a test bench to find out the real cost.

Good luck.

Way out Smurf. Forget the resin calculator and you need to understand how sequenced vessels work.
Comfortably Numb!

Smurf

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
I do understand how  sequenced di vessels work as use them myself after a ro. However wanting to use DI only on such a high tds input of 330 and a high flow rate required it will hardly make any difference at all surely?

That is why I keep harping on about setting up what he wants on a test bed to work out the true cost. Hence why my comment it would be cheaper for Steve  to import the resin in bulk himself as it's not going to work out cheap. lol

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 07:16:16 pm »
If it's for solar panels then surely a ppm way above zero (maybe even 30plus) would be perfectly adequate?
It's a game of three halves!

Solar Steve

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »

cost of resin £79
size of di 20 ltr
input tds 330
monthly usage 10,000 ltr
cost per month = £475
change every 0.6 weeks

Good luck.
Hi Smurf.

Using your cost of £3.29 per minute figure, are you saying it will cost £1,184.40 per day in resin, based on a six-hour working day? You sure that's right?  :-\ ???

Solar Steve

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 11:17:15 pm »
If it's for solar panels then surely a ppm way above zero (maybe even 30plus) would be perfectly adequate?
What makes you think that?

Smurf

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:57 am »

cost of resin £79
size of di 20 ltr
input tds 330
monthly usage 10,000 ltr
cost per month = £475
change every 0.6 weeks

Good luck.
Hi Smurf.

Using your cost of £3.29 per minute figure, are you saying it will cost £1,184.40 per day in resin, based on a six-hour working day? You sure that's right?  :-\ ???

15 bags or resin does sound a wee bit high don't it.