Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

quick basic question
Posted by magpie (magpie), 26 February 2004
Hello all,

I am considering giving up my job and I would like to try and start my own window cleaning business. Can someone answer this quick question please.

Do I need to obtain a licence to be a self employed window cleaner?

Thanks

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 26 February 2004
Hi Magpie, and welcome to the window cleaning boards.

If you're in Scotland, you'll need to be licenced, but I don't think the rest of GB has caught up with us yet Wink

If you ARE in Scotland, contact the Licencing Section of your local council for application forms.  You'll need to supply the fee, a copy of your unbought Public Liability insurance (say you'll buy that once you're licenced!) and depending on where you are, a couple of passport sized photos. Some whizz-bang licencing sections have their own digital cameras so you'll need to go to the offices in person.

If you have an unblemished background, you'll hear nothing until you get the licence through the door. If you have a police record, it depends - charges of theft and violence are strictly rejected - you might get a visit from a friendly sergeant to vet you.

If you're of the English/Welsh persuasion, contact the council anyway just to see what the local picture is.

A good thread to check (if you haven't already done so) is http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Startingwindowcleaning;action=display;num=1064338611 a lot of reading, but worth it.

All the best - have fun - and let us know how you get on

Davie
PS

Fill in your profile/signature/personal text so we know a bit more about you?
Posted by magpie (magpie), 26 February 2004
Thanks Davie,

Read the posts on the link and It all sounded very positive and may just be the kick up the backside I need.

I am a fellow scot but have lived in England for about 15 years now. My neighbour in Scotland was a window cleaner during all my childhood years and he seemed to have everything I wanted and I have always fancied giving it a go, but never had the guts to give up work.

I will contact my local council ASAP to see what the situation is here regarding having a licence.

Thanks again.
It all sounded very positive and may just be the kick up the backside I need.

Go for it mate, and remember - Wherever you are in life, that's where you deserve to be! Get out there and do it!

All the best

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.