Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Got me a pole system...
Posted by Ken (Ken), 7 December 2003
Put my wfp together last week. 280 litre with ro and di, 18' and 34' OTT poles and all the trimmings, about £1300. Ran the tds meter on Friday and got a 0 reading, thought it had packed up. Tested the waste ro water and got reading of 97ppm. The meter does work and my water has 0ppm contamination. I'm quite chuffed. Also did manor house, normally 3+ hours including some hairy 30' stuff, in about 1.5. Nice!
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 7 December 2003
How hard is it to put all the pieces together? Did u fix it into the back of your van? I wanna do this next year myself. Not paying large sums of money though. Around £1500 sounds just right to me.
Posted by jonesy5 (jonesy5), 7 December 2003
Congratulations Ken Grin Grin Grin Grin    cant wait to join you !!  Oh the joy of not humping them ladders about i cant wait  Cheesy
Posted by peterf (peterf), 7 December 2003
on 12/07/03 at 19:23:09, Ken wrote:
Put my wfp together last week. 280 litre with ro and di, 18' and 34' OTT poles and all the trimmings, about £1300. Ran the tds meter on Friday and got a 0 reading, thought it had packed up. Tested the waste ro water and got reading of 97ppm. The meter does work and my water has 0ppm contamination. I'm quite chuffed. Also did manor house, normally 3+ hours including some hairy 30' stuff, in about 1.5. Nice!

Ken you must live in a very soft water area, do you?

If your wastewater coming from your RO is 97ppm, then your tap water must only be about 40 something ppm.  If you are in a hard water area then something must be wrong, unless you mean 970ppm?

Peter

Posted by Ken (Ken), 9 December 2003
Sham: I did it last Monday in  the pouring rain. It took a day. Basically there are no moving parts, just a million jubilee clips. It is pretty straight forward.
Peter: I have a little digital tds meter. Either it knocks the first or last digit off if you get a 4 digit reading. Our tap water was 160, after Brita filter 120. A friend has bore hole water which read 499. So either my waste was 1097 or 970.Jonesy: No ladders, hurrah. 50m+ of hose, parp! Having said that it is much better than ladders!
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 9 December 2003
What were the results like?

I hear a lot about the first clean with a wfp making the windows look terrible?

Did you go back and look when they dried?
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 10 December 2003
there is no such thing as first time bad cleaning only if you dont clean the frames,sills and glass right and also if you dont rinse properlly and your resin or filters are over the tdi.Weve done numerous cleans including building cleans which are filthy but if you do it right they are perfect every time in 12 months not had one customer sya or complain that the machine hasnt done the job its supposed to we work at 80 feet and they still come up good

Posted by pure_genius (pure_genius), 10 December 2003
I thought i would look into making these pure water systems and start marketing them as a low cost alternative to the main players. I spoke to a friend who was a lawyer about my idea and soon learnt that to make something to use for yourself is ok as an owner user, but you are liable to all sorts of things if you supply equipment and things go wrong.

I had a demonstration from OTT The Reach & Wash System they showed me the crash testing they had undertaken, i didnt think much about it until i saw they had crash tested a competitors system where the tank had let loose. The results were horrific i dont know which system it was they didnt tell me. It put me off building my own system and i wouldnt want to be sued by a grieving family to make a quick buck by making them to sell.

I still have not taken the plunge and got a full system yet.
I see that there are two crash tested systems on the market has anyone seen the pure 20 system, looks ok on their web site.
pure 20 claim they can beat any price with a crash tested system it sounds to good to be true.   Shocked  

Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 10 December 2003
Steve,

I am pleased to hear this as I am looking to buy a wfp after xmas and was quite worried as to how to explain to customers about the drop in quality.

Just one thing though, how can you be sure you haven't left any bird mess on the window at such a height, and is the pole and brush enough to get it off or do you have to put a scraper on a pole?
Posted by Ken (Ken), 10 December 2003
I did go back and check the quality once the windows had dried off. Very few problems. The worst were on a house that in parts dated back to the middle ages. The system seemed  to have washed some crud out from very old frames which I hadn't completely rinsed off. Gave it another going over which sorted the problem. No complaints yet from anybody else. Not come across super resistant bird cack yet, a lot of spots do show from ground level.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.