General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Body scum on glass shower doors
Posted by dave (dave), 26 December 2003
Hi all,

Went to do a rental clean the other day. looked in the en-suite and thought the glass doors on the shower were frosted but  when I got closer it was body scum!!

I had to use Astonish paste in the blue tub which is the only thing I had got that would attempt to shift it but it took a lot of elbow grease just to clean to panels, also the tiles were in a bad state as well.

Is there a product that I can use that will solve this problem, preferably in spray, as this will reach into the awkward areas of glass door panels where my fingers can't reach.

Regards Dave
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 26 December 2003
I do rentals also. On shower glass doors i use a limescale remover with a scourer, works excellent.

you can use the limescale remover neat, wipe on with a cloth, leave for 5 mins and use the scourer and then rinse, scourers are excellent for the tiles also.

On a different note...

TO4 oven cleaner, the mutts nutts!

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by petra (petra), 27 December 2003
Yes I use a similar product and it works every time.
Petra
Posted by nick_warrenevans (nick_warrenevans), 28 December 2003
I to do rentals.

I always used limscale remover for the shower doors then tried cream cleaner with a scourer. It works really well with minimum effort, followed up with a good glass cleaner.

hope this helps you.

Am intersted in the oven cleaner is it toxic? does it give off any odours like mony products.

Nick

Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 29 December 2003
Hi!

the TO4 oven cleaner is excellent.

You do not get any chocking odour, it even get rid of burnt on carbon.

I take the racks out, spray inside of oven and close (warm oven 1st) spray the racks. 20mins later get to work on both of them.

either get from mike at Express cleaning supplies (site sponsor) or look for local pro supplier.

get the small one 1st at about £2.90 so you can see if you like it.

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by nick_warrenevans (nick_warrenevans), 29 December 2003
Thaks Martin for info on oven cleaner

will definately give it a try Kiss

Nick
Posted by dave (dave), 30 December 2003
Hi Martin,

Iff I use T04 on the glass shower doors and bath tiles will it do any harm to the soft rubber surrounds on the doors or mastik or grout surrounding the tiles ?

Cheers Dave
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 1 January 2004
Hi dave

personally I wouldn't.

I prefer to use the tool for the job specified, that way there shouldn't be to many problems and I won't be causing myself extra work if i mess it up.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by petra (petra), 1 January 2004
totaly agree mate, oven cleaner is designed for oven, and if this product was used in a shower the cleaner would be liable for all damage and would cost more then the jobs worth. A good descaler will do the job many companies sell good products,so use them. (Its a bit like saying use engine oil instead of vegtable oil).
Petra
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 January 2004
Martin,

Ashbys have a very good bathroom mouse - spray on, leave 5 min., rinse off. This will also tackle mild limescale but for heavy build-up you may need to follow up with a limecale treatment.

Regarding the oven cleaner, I think you are right to be cautious. Appart from the risk of consequential damage, I would also point out that limescale requires an acid to disolve, whereas most oven cleaners are strongly alkaline.

( Just the thoughts of a mere carpet cleaner)

John.
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 2 January 2004
You are of course quite correct!

With the TO4, I find that it seems to liquidise the grease and fat (heat oven 1st) and it is just a case of wiping it off and with burnt on grease and carbon deposits the scourer works a treat.  

As a side note it is very soapy when wiping off so a couple of wipes with a wet clean cloth is needed and then i heat the oven on full to evaporate any residue.

Oven cleaning just became a damn sight easier Cheesy

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by petra (petra), 2 January 2004
Yes but surly you do not use to4 on showers and screens?  the implications could be a real disaster.
Petra
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 3 January 2004
I never did say I didHuhHuhHuhHuh?

I use the product for it's intended use as previously stated

Where did that comment come from?

Limescale for the bathroom, oven cleaner for erm..um..eh.. lets see, an oven, anti bacterial for the kitchen worksurfaces, degreaser for inside of the cupboards (food deposits) toilet descaler for the bog, etc ,etc,etc

Oh and just to be sure folks TO4 for OVEN use ONLY..

Cuts through grease like 'hot butter on breakfast toast'

Hope my stance is clear on this now.

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by petra (petra), 3 January 2004
yes ok im at fault missed the bit in the post where he asked about oven cleaner....sorry Tongue
petra
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 4 January 2004
Hi Petra

Not a problem.

Was shattered when I answered that post.

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by pal (pal), 6 January 2004
Just found this forum and it great, I work for a cleaning management company and we encountered the same issues with body fat removal from showers ,swimming pools and wet areas. We finally sourced a great product specially designed for this problem.The product comes from a company call Bona Systems in StAlbans and is called bona main plus. Give it a try,Belive me it works. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 8 January 2004
Hi all
I cleaned a plumbers windows today and I asked them what they used to clean the shower glass with and she said Oz from yr local super market. She said wipe on and wipe off nearly always perfect 1st go.
She also mention that she has tryed a lot of differenty stuff from different suppliers and this beats them all.
Worth a go. At only 4-5 pound a bottle
Good luck
Alan
Posted by tam (tam), 30 January 2004
How sad you lot are. What the F--- is "body scum." When i have a shower the only thing that hits the doors is the soap and water that splashes off me not "body scum."  
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 30 January 2004
Yes , but I think most of us know what it is Grin
Posted by petra (petra), 30 January 2004
Grin GrinI think Tam must be in denial.... Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.