Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

GG4 in soft water areas?
Posted by fez (fez), 8 January 2004
Anyone on here use GG4 in a soft water area?

I'm using GG3 in a soft water area but GG4 is now a lot cheaper (around a fiver less) so I'd like to swap over.

Anyone noticed a difference between the two? Huh
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 8 January 2004
Hi fez
How much are the 2
Alan
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 8 January 2004
Fez,
    I bought gg4 thinking I was in a hard water area but since found its soft. After months of problems I find it works great now (rubber needed changing  Roll Eyes. So I do think you could use it. I would be interested if anyone knows different and that I`d be better off with gg3.

Shinny,
    At ScimCity gg3 28.06
                      gg4 24.53 both incl. VAT and there`s a delivery charge. There was an offer on a bit ago but it seems to have ended.

Gerry.

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 8 January 2004
Hi Gerry
cheaked out the window clean centre and they are selling GG4 25.56 and GG3 28.96 all in Deli and vat.
Cheers mate
Alan

Tel: 0800413512

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 8 January 2004
Thanks Alan,

They seem good don`t they? Rubber looks cheap as well. I`ll give them a ring.

Cheers,

Gerry.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 9 January 2004
GG4 was formulated for hard water areas, thats why I think its more expensive. I quote:-
"Glass Gleam-4 has polymeric water softeners especially desirable for use in hard water".
Don't see why you can't use it in soft, GG3 is for soft water.
Check the faq:-
http://www.titanlabs.net/gg4.htm
Posted by fez (fez), 9 January 2004
on 01/09/04 at 00:04:13, karlosdaze wrote:
GG4 was formulated for hard water areas, thats why I think its more expensive.

That's the strange thing karlosdaze - GG3 is more expensive for some reason, it's probably because more GG4 is sold so the pricing is more competitive.

I think I'll try swapping over to GG4 and save a few quid.
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 9 January 2004
Fez,

Done another day with gg4 in soft water area and had no problems. I`ve used it for a few weeks now and everything ok. I keep expecting the old problems to resurface but changing my rubber regularly does the trick.
    I don`t know if it would work the other way round -gg3 in hard water area.Don`t suppose you`d but it though when gg4 is cheaper  Tongue.

Gerry
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 9 January 2004
hi chaps,

I did a day with a window cleaner who used fairy liquid and half a cup of vinegar in his water whats your views on this formula and what would the difference be if GG4 was used.

Regards

Craig
I used Fairy for ages (no vinegar) and it was ok but wiping the sills after was a chore. I also used to end up soaked because its so thick.
GG4 seems to thin the water so your water lasts longer,there`s a lot less detailing and you just give the sills a quick wipe. The windows are gleaming after as well. Oh and its excellent on leaded windows.
 Having said all that it took me ages to get used to it (it`s all down to your rubber ).

Gerry.
Gerry,

Thanks for that I have heard it takes some time to adapt to - Tell me if my rubber is changed regular will I have problems getting used to GG4

Regards

Craig
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 9 January 2004
Hi Craig
          As Gerry says above it takes a bit of getting used to but its worth persevering because it gives excellent results. Smiley I do change my rubber each day which makes it a lot easier though Wink

Steve
Craig,

I think biggest problem with gg4 is lack of squeegee glide, that is why I change my rubber daily. When the rubber has been used a while and starts to dull the squeegee sticks. I use a new piece a day and turn it round half way through. You may be able to use it straight away but might need to persevere,it is worth it.

Have a look at Titans website (Karlos has put adress above) and theres a section on squeegee drag.

Gerry.
Thanks chaps I find this site very helpful and friendly.

Its a privilige really - Thanks

Craig
Posted by fez (fez), 10 January 2004
To be honest, I really hated GG3 when I first used it and it was only because of other window cleaner's comments on this forum that made me buy a large bottle full and persevere.

I'm really glad I did as I tried using Fairy again for half a day early on in December and I HATED it! It was messy, slow and I used loads of scrims.

If you are starting out with it, slow down a little when you're squeegeeing. In no time you'll love it......honest! Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.