Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Mothproofing
Posted by clive (clive), 8 March 2004
I clean quite a lot of oriental rugs and often get asked about mothproofing them. I usually refer them to a pest controller but is there something i can use?

Thanks,

Clive
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 8 March 2004
Clive,

I have tried a few products over the years but they have all presented problems, mainly odour.

I am not the biggest fan of insecticides in the home, so I normally tell the customer that if the rug is regularly and thoroughly vacuumed with a good upright vacuum cleaner, it is unlikely that the grubs will survive.

John.
Posted by allencarpetclean (Bob Allen), 8 March 2004
Have you tried opening your wallet more often, that will at least keep the moths down abit .......Ha Ha

Seriously I know Sta-Pro used to do a powder you mixed with water (then sprayed) that supposedly helps againt a number of small creepy crawlys, ive used it in the past for Flee's (not mine)
Regards Bob
Posted by SMP (SMP), 8 March 2004
Chemspec do a product - can't remember what it's called (Microban??).  I have used it.  There are very few products still available due to changes in legislation.  

Did a job last year with it and odour was a big concern.  All the windows open, turbo driers, PPE etc.  The odour was strong and lasted for quite a while, fine in the summer when the home owner doesn't mind having all the windows open etc.

Cheers
Steve
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 8 March 2004
Microban do a good pest control but i think it only lasts
for 6 months
mick
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 8 March 2004
rotstop from ashbys ( your favourite place Grin )

Shaun
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 8 March 2004
I've used ashbys insecticide (may have been sta-pro) for carpet beetle, easy to use and goverment approved for domestic and food areas. Worked well, didn't kill any pets or kids either.
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 9 March 2004
Chemspec do Chemtreat which they say prevents 'organic degradation of wool' the USA have weird regs on pest control. They say it lasts 2 yrs I think.

Trevor
Posted by clive (clive), 9 March 2004
Thanks for all your replies.

Clive

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.