Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cream Wool Carpet
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 19 January 2004
Looking for some advice on a job I went out to quote today that a carpet cleaner had cleaned on Friday. The carpet was cream and 80% wool, when I say cream; I mean the majority of it was. I noticed immediately that it had really bad black wear marks going from the front door to the kitchen door (I think it would be called shading), now I wasn't happy with the marks as it had just been cleaned Friday last, so the marks I believe shouldn't have been so defined. I asked her how it had been cleaned and she told me that the guy used steam and no chemicals; I knew who it was before she went on. Anyway, I believe he's tried cleaning the carpet at a very high temperature because he doesn't use cleaning solutions and by doing so he's set the black wear marks. Am I thinking along the right lines here or am I way off the mark?

Alex

By the way, I told the customer I’d call her back tomorrow with hopefully a good answer for her.

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 19 January 2004
Walk away Alex. You don't want to inherit someone elses problem. She should take it up with the other cleaner and/or seek legal advice. If you had a problem yourself with, say,  British Gas, would you ask your local plumber/gas fitter to sort it out? No, you'd go back to British Gas.

I'll give you one of many examples why you should walk. You go in and clean. You may produce a great result. But, as A.N. Other has used steam, he may have damaged the heat set to the yarn. Next week/month/summer Madam notices that the pile is "bursting". It was alright after A.N. Other cleaned it, so it must be you who caused the damage.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 20 January 2004
Hi Alex

Ken is quite right.... If you now attempt to do any work on this carpet 'YOU' will inherit all the problems that go with it..... previous clean damage and all.

The Trading Standards viewpoint on this is that as a professional you should be able to recognise any problems (which you have) and then make an informed decision as to whether to proceed.
If you do so then you accept full responsibility.

Regards
Derek
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 20 January 2004
I'm having difficulty understanding this post, is the customer saying that the previous carpet cleaner caused these marks? or where they there before he arrived?

since when was heat proved to cause or have anything to do with the 'setting' of shading

it seems you all are jumping to the conclusion that the first carpet cleaner has done something wrong with without knowing the full facts.

Mike
Mike
Posted by Jim_Lynch (Jim_Lynch), 20 January 2004
Alex, I agree with Ken and Derek. This is not your problem now, but once you get involved, it will become yours.
Why hasn't she asked the original cleaner to come back and rectify the problem? Or has she, and he has either refused or been unable to fix it?
I smell something bad here. I wouldn't touch it.

Jim
Posted by woodman (woodman), 20 January 2004
Hi Alex

Slightly different view from ken and derek although you should take on board the warnings they have given you.

First and foremost as Mike said this almost certainly not anything to do with shading.

what you are describing from door to kitchen on cream carpet would just be a very soiled traffic area ,have you checked the underlay,some times when carpets are relaid new it is laid on top of the old under lay it is possible that might be 'crumbling' due to age and extraction is dragging the debris up to the surface, just a thought check it out.

As for inheriting the other bodge it and leg it cleaners problems.List all your concerns including the fact that you are attemting to correct another cleaners faults and put a dis-claimer at the bottom then get the customer to sign it as a condition of you taking over the job, give her a copy and keep yours on file for at least 'two years'.

You have a opportunity here to become the hero just take the right precautions to protect yourself first.

Good Luck
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 20 January 2004
Cheers guys for the comments.

Woody, I take on board you views of the hero and all that but I think I'm going to leave this one as I don't want problems at this early state in my cleaning life. Gonna go with Derek and Ken or should I say I'm doing a Craig Daivd "I'm Walking Away"  Grin Grin Grin

Alex

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.