Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Help Heat Exchanger Trips Fuses
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 24 November 2003
I have a built in Heat Exchanger on a Diamond Back Ashbys.

Was working fine but now when I switch it on it causes the customers fuses to trip.

Obviously I could send it back to Ashbys but I dont want to risk it getting damaged.

Could drive to them but they have moved which makes it two far and I dont think they would repair it while I wait.

It could be a dogy switch which I could do myself.

Any other ideas.

I live in East Anglia, is there anywhere off M11 that could fix it,
or A1 if I head North

Regards
Ian
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 24 November 2003
Ian,

You say that it "trips" fuses - suspect that you are actually refering to the tripping of curcuit breakers.

This is not uncommon in heat exchangers, being caused by an earth leak due to condensation within the case.

If the unit is under warranty then return to Ashbys is the cheapest solution - when you say they have moved, are you aware that their Gravesend branch is still open ( just over the Dartford crossing)?

Sometimes when this problem exists, it can be resolved by opening the case and drying with a hair dryer but if there is an actual leak it should be properly repaired since useing the unit with a conventional fuse may not cause the fuse to blow and internal 'tracking' of electricity can cause major damage and may represent a shock hazard.

Good luck with it,

John.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 24 November 2003
John ,

I thought the Gravesend Dartford branch had closed.

It is the origional model built in and not under guarantee.

If I send it back I will have to send all the machine.

You could be onto somthing regarding damp as I keep it in shed which sprang leak.

I am going to try hairdrier.
As Machine was working fine.

Thanks for advice.

Ian
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 24 November 2003
Dartford branch also still open. Ring Ashbys and discuss, I've found them helpful in the past.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.