Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

How much do you hang out???
Posted by exterioruk (exterioruk), 20 January 2004
Ive just started window cleaning and am now changing my rubbbers, think ive got all i need, ie. new rubber channel and little clips for the ends, but how much should the rubber hang out the end of the channel at each end.

any help will be great.

dan . bognor regis

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 20 January 2004
Try 2-3mm, or 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in real money, and see how you get on. You might find you want to bring this in a bit the next time you change the rubber, but in the end, it's all down to personal preference.

All the best - have fun

Davie
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 20 January 2004
Dan,
Let the rubber overhang the ends of the channel by a quarter of an inch, this will ensure you remove as much water as possible from the window frame.
Not all channels require end clips, most of the modern squeegee handles grip the rubber in the channel.
Out of preference i use clipped channels as it keeps the rubber tight and level, but its all down to preference.
Another tip for you is to make sure the rubber is cut square and neatly, the slightest burr will leave lines in your handywork. To cut rubber neat every time i use a pair of Anvil type secateurs.... works a treat.
Hope this helps
Denzle
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 20 January 2004
Try this baby . . . http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040213127 - but don't get your fingers in the wrong place - you should get a square edge every time.
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 20 January 2004
Wow, that looks like a serious bit of kit.... could do your toenails as well Grin
Denzle
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 20 January 2004
if you buy your rubbers already cut to size then the rubber hanging out should be ok. They are more expensive but I prefer them.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 20 January 2004
Hi all
I was talking to darrell from the windowclean centre about cutting rubbers and i think unger used to make a rubber cutter, works by pushing blade on rubber then cuts.but stopped making it.
The way he showed me put new blade in scraper, line up on new rubber and push and cuts perfect give it a go but must be new scraper blade.
Works for me let me know.
Alan
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 20 January 2004
I have my rubber dead level with the end of the channel, no rubber over hanging at all. Also i only use 1 clip on the left. I normally take all the water off so theres no detailing with this setup.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 20 January 2004
Shamm ,
With no overhang do you never scrach the glass  Huh
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 20 January 2004
Nope, not that im aware of anyway  Tongue
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 20 January 2004
I know that  once I cut mine a bit to short and I scrached the window  while cleaning it .
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 21 January 2004
I think its the brass clips that u have to keep an eye out for. Make sure they are tucked in nicely.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 21 January 2004
I find about 2mm each end is about right Wink

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.