Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Potential earnings from window cleaning
Posted by Service_Champion (Service_Champion), 8 September 2003
Hi everyone, just starting my own business (Service Champions), what do people think the potential earnings are in your first year?
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 9 September 2003
£60 a day should be easy enouth. If your prepared to work harder than me  Roll Eyes £100 plus is possible working by yourself cleaning residential windows.
Posted by wazzastud (wazzastud), 11 September 2003
By my calculations and the amount of work i am generating, I should gross between £42K - £72K this year, but then again the only place success comes before hard work is in the dictionary  Wink
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 12 September 2003
"I should gross between £42K - £72K this year"

Is that the earnings you make working on your own or do you have people working for you?

I think i need to work longer than 9am till 2pm  Shocked
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 12 September 2003
pottential earings and actual earnings are different things. dont catch your chickens before they are hatched. learn your trade and build up
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 September 2003
How much you earn each year from window cleaning depends on many factors such as how many hours work you do each day,what area you are working in, what type of work you are doing, bad weather etc etc.

Regards

Steve Lowe
Posted by wazzastud (wazzastud), 13 September 2003
My work starts at 8:30 and I work until 3pm cleaning windows, sometimes a bit later depending on the time it takes to travel between jobs, I take half hour for lunch and I clean 4-6 houses an hour average price £8 per house, thats £32 - £48 an hour, thats £192 - £288 a day x 5 days that&s £960 - £1440 per week x 50 weeks per year thats £48,000 - £72000 a year Gross, but obviously you must generate the work to keep you going, I canvass for myself and am currently getting £50 - £75 worth of new residential business an hour.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 September 2003
If you are earning £288 a day cleaning residential houses i must be doing something wrong and been doing it all wrong for the last 18 years.  Grin
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 September 2003
Is this a catch by any chance to reel in sales for your book?
As it seems a bit exaggerated this hourly and daily rate you are getting each day

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 September 2003
I agree! When looking at a manual like this you have to ask yourself about the experience of the person writing the manual. Like how long have they been in business? How successfull have they been? How many employees does this person have? And how long has this person been earning £288 for 6 hours work doing residential window cleaning? If the answers are positive then i would not mind buying this manual!

Regards

Steve Lowe
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 14 September 2003
after 15 years i must be doing something wrong seems like a marketing ploy. canvessing that much an hour no way sorry mate dont believe you
Posted by wazzastud (wazzastud), 14 September 2003
HI Guys, Yes I have written a manual that tells you how to achieve this plus all the other things that you need to consider when starting a window cleaning business,
And yes I want to sell copies of the manual, but you also get discounts off of window cleaning products, some of the cheapest prices for quality equipment anywhere
And yes I do what it tells you to do and yes the figures are correct and I do work on my own at present although I am looking to expend rapidly, I have been cleaning windows for about 3 years on and off and am starting to see how these figures, can be achieved so yes you may have done more time than me but I would say you learned everything in the first year or two and have repeated that process for the past 15 years
Some people work in factories for 30 years or more and look down at somebody that has only been there a year or so, thinking they have twenty nine years more experience, I would say they are both equally experienced as the old chap has one years experience and has only repeated it 30 times, thats all.
I mean some people are quite happy to earn a living, whereas some people are more ambitious and my manual is aimed at the ambitious people, Remember SUPER HOD, he done more hod carrying than most hod carriers he made the head lines and made millions from it, is he still hod carrying...NO, he wrote a book on how to do what he did and achieve what he achieved.
At the end of the day I have 8 years sales skills and marketing experience which I learned a few years back, which I am applying to this industry and am getting the results, if McDonalds hadnt seen the big picture they would still be selling hamburgers from a cart in time square RIGHT?.........Look at Henry Ford, if he hadnt had a vision, of the mass production of cars we would all still be waiting for our motor cars to be built wouldnt we?
This is the 21ST century and things are moving forward FAST, you can either move with them or be left behind.

But if you would like a copy of my manual (SO YOU WANT TO BE A WINDOW CLEANER) ya never know, you might even learn something from little old inexperienced me please feel free to E-mail me warren@libertynewmedia.com

Have a nice day chaps
Grin
Posted by wazzastud (wazzastud), 16 September 2003

So you want to be a window cleaner?

OK

Answer no to the following questions and we can proceed.

1. Are you afraid of heights?   NO

2. Are you afraid of spiders?  NO

3. Does the cold weather bother you?  NO

GREAT!!!!  

THEN LETS GET STARTED

Service industry here in the UK is booming and this is largely due to people working long hours and earning good money , the economy is doing very well so you are in the right business at the right time, Window Cleaning falls into this category and as we are now in a situation where people are money rich but time poor, people just havent got enough hours in the day to do chores such as clean their windows and weekends are for fun not for doing such mundane chores as cleaning their windows etc
For us this is a very big plus, Now long gone are the days when an old retired chap could be seen up a rickety old ladder, precariously perched cleaning windows, earning a few quid to spend at the bookies or at his local pub, now this seemingly small time activity is huge business as you will see, and the good news is that they just keep on building new properties and estates for us to work.

Window cleaning can be a hell of a lot of fun, and very lucrative, for instance, the average 3-bed semi detached house will take an experienced window cleaner
No more than 10 - 15 minutes to clean the windows, and the average price we are charging is currently between £6-£8 here in the south east of England 2003.

Work that out, being conservative with my figures here, thats the potential for one man to earn £24 - £32 per hour, now assuming you work from 8.30am until 3pm with a half hour for lunch that could earn you
£144 - £192 per day
OR
£720 - £960 per week
OR
£36000 - £48000 per year  
Allowing two weeks for holidays
Or doing 6 houses an hour and charging £8 for six hours will earn you £288 a day or £72,000 a year
Play with the figures yourself; its a lot of fun, and a great motivator.
Not bad for a one man band ah? Some executives who work long hours and sometimes spend long periods away from home and their families dont earn that.

Just look at it this way,
You are an executive Payne clarification professional, you carry a squeegee and a scrim and not a brief case, but at least you get home at a reasonable time and you have the freedom to work where you want and when you want.

SO YOU WANT TO BE A WINDOW CLEANER available now......contact me warren@libertynewmedia.com for your copy
Posted by DerekW (DerekW), 16 September 2003
Gents, please take a few minutes to read our website.  We have the cleaning solution to blow your socks off and earn you £250 per day ... easily ! forget windows ..... clean everything else instead, Drives, Patios, McDonalds drive-thru'e etc ... see our site then call us for your free demo.   www.hydrotech.org.uk

Regards,

Derek

Hydrotech UK (equipment) Ltd
Posted by geoffreyspecht (geoffreyspecht), 18 November 2003
clean it up your cheap with your prices the average price of a semi in the south east should be at least 10 pounds now used to clean semis in luton for 6 pounds 14 years ago
Posted by Bones (Bones), 18 November 2003
Hi Geoff, Looks like prices for cleaning are different around the country.

Where I live if you asked £10 for a standard bay fronted semi you'd most probably have the door shut in your face!!  £6-£7 is the going rate here Sad Sad

Mikey
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 November 2003
Hi Mikey,
            You are right. It varies quite a lot from area to area. What i might charge £10 for here in the south east my Dad in Manchester would probably be about £6 Huh

Steve
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 19 November 2003
If this guy is really making this much money, do you think he would need to sell manuals Huh

Look back on early post on this forum I remember wazzastud, who i think is the person selling this manual, asking for advice peicing up a commercial job. Maybe we have all contributed to this manual and we are all going to get a share.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 November 2003
Hi Rob,
         If you look at the date of the original posts this was wazzastuds posts (His real name is Warren Shenton ssssh!)  Grin Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by paul (paul), 19 November 2003
your earnings will depend on how many customers you have and how quick you can do a quality window clean
i earned nearly £30.000 in my first year of trading
Posted by geoffreyspecht (geoffreyspecht), 19 November 2003
hi nutty, i live in llandudno now the price for cleaning the windows for an average semi round here between 6 and 7 pounds the same as your area so havent had a wage rise in 14 years  
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 19 November 2003
Paul
Did you tell the tax man that Grin Wink Cool
Posted by Service_Champion (Service_Champion), 19 November 2003
Hi Paul, I spoke to you in the summer over the phone regarding starting up etc. Finally everything is in place (business cards, uniform, signed van etc.) Currently working at the weekend and picking up customers every week, can't believe how many people ask me to do their windows whilst cleaning their neighbours its like they haven't seen a window cleaner in years. I'm building up the business so that I have enough to leave my current job and go full time in the New Year (can't wait).
Hope your business is doing well.

Regards.

Stewart.

P.S. Won anymore awards?
Posted by simonb (simonb), 21 November 2003
No one can work 5 days every week. What about ice, heavy rain, being sick etc?
Then there's collecting the money and the assumption that all the houses are in a row.
You can earn that sort of money but not every day week in week out

Posted by sw_windows (sw_windows), 21 November 2003
what on earth does &#8217:s mean. Huh
Posted by matt (matt), 21 November 2003
shouldnt this earning thread be shut down, afterall its a joke

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.