Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

reach n wash
Posted by samjam (samjam), 9 February 2004
Considering buying one of these type systems.Just wondering on prices etc,as i would imagine youd need a van to house them in.Also ,any tips on getting and pricing this type of work,is it just first come first served or do people have their own patches like with residential work? cheers
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 9 February 2004
Hi my friend there are loads of threads ob here about reach and wash systems weve used one for twelve months and depending on what sort of work your wishing to do it dpends on each client you clean for.
Posted by samjam (samjam), 9 February 2004
Hi,my main concern is buying a system ,then having no work to use it on!! What sort of hourly rate is expected?Are they easy to use?  Probably considerin a trailer one.At the moment im doing mainly terraced work so wouldnt use it for them.I d hope to get some commercial work
Posted by dirkstar (dirkstar), 9 February 2004
i was in the same position as you a few weeks ago ,got in touch  ionic ,tucker,etc alot of money to gamble on if your not to sure,got in touch with andy {aps pure wash } sorted me out with a 250 ltr van system   got a good price,working out fine .tried it on my residential stuff {alot faster and easy}terraced houses i reckon it would be spot on fly down the front maybe a bit difficult on the backs unless you get a trolley system which i reckon is my next move.
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 9 February 2004
Dirk,

How much was it?

What van do you have?

How long does a small tank last and what are the running costs?

Ionic gave me a demo last week and by what they say a 650L Tank is what I should invest in

Craig
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 9 February 2004
Hi wrighty,

I think 500-600 is enough for one man all day. 1000 for two men all day.

Are you doing the whole building with pure water or just the upper storeys?
Posted by dirkstar (dirkstar), 10 February 2004
ive got a kangoo ,i can send some pics of it installed   a full tank lasts me around 3 hrs but it can be fiollled on site or if like me my work is all near to home so i just pop home fill up takes around 15 mins then back you go.the more offten you do a job the less water you use and ive got a by pass valve which also saves you water .i was told around 5000 ltrs of water and the readings will start to alter so the the resins will need to be changed {around 20 fills}ive had it about a month still reading 000 used it every day so im happy with the running costs.
Posted by samjam (samjam), 10 February 2004
to be honest,id probably stick with ladders and squeegy for terraced.I was hoping to get this system and land a few small commercial deals(whats a good way to do this?)as it seems a lot of money to be using on bread and butter terraced house
i see it as if ive got one i can now go for jobs that alot of other cleaners cant do because of height restrictions etc puts me in the driving seat ive taken on a job for a few quid a month that i couldnt do if i didnt have a system even if its standing doing nothing if something comes up you can be in, before everyone else starts getting them because i can see them coming down in price, b and q selling them then window cleaning becomes extinct everyone buys them the domestic customer start cleaning their own windows .my prediction anyway.hope this helps .  
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 10 February 2004
Hi dirkstar,

Please forgive my ignorance, But, what is a bypass valve, how does it work?
it adjusts the flow of water to the brush instead the water can be bypassed back into the tank so my water last a little longer ideal when the windows are not that dirty{not as much water needed}
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 10 February 2004
thanks for that. I have a dial that i can use to adjust the pump. maybe does similar job. Do you pass the water thru a filter in between tank and pole or is it 000 tds in the tank  Huh My tank water is 002 but is coming down day by day. I think it's due to new tank, system, hoses, etc.
the water goes into tank then pured on leaving the di vessel then to brush
my readings have been 000 from day one new system new hoses etc used about 4000 ltrs of water since the start.
Posted by pw (paul w), 10 February 2004
hello dirkstar what make is yours as i have just got a partner van thay are about the same size and i want to buy a pole system also how much dosh do i nead for one thanks paul
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 10 February 2004
Quote:
because i can see them coming down in price, b and q selling them then window cleaning becomes extinct everyone buys them the domestic customer start cleaning their own windows

I don't see this happening any time soon.  The fact is, window cleaning requires special equipment.  Ladders are not too expensive, but do people who have their own ladders clean their own windows? No, Never.

Are people going to research/ buy/ use pure water equipment themselves?  Even if they do buy it thinking "Ah, this has cost me £200 but it'll save me that in a year by not having a window cleaner" what will happen?  It'll sit in the garage, the wife will moan about the windows, there'll be no time to clean them etc.  [Saturdays are for golf surely!  I've spent all week at work now its time to relax, not clean stupid windows!]  Eventually the wife will ask the next passing window cleaner they see.

Only the most disciplined of husbands cleans their own windows, and these are the sort who would do it with ladders anyway.

I dont think we need to worry about it too much!

Silly
Posted by dirkstar (dirkstar), 11 February 2004
its a aps pure wash very happy with it.on 02/10/04 at 23:00:21, paul w wrote:
hello dirkstar what make is yours as i have just got a partner van thay are about the same size and i want to buy a pole system also how much dosh do i nead for one thanks paul

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 11 February 2004
Having the di as final polish seems to be a good setup. I will have to see if my system can be adapted. My water is filtered BEFORE going in the tank. What is maximum tds you can use before spotting occurs?
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 11 February 2004
Depends on what system your using we use mixed bed resin and our reading can go upto 30 max b4 spotting.Some people are told as soon as it goes above 0............what a good way of making more money out of there byers

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.