Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

I've bought a round...
Posted by doubli (doubli), 3 March 2004
Well, at least I am in the final stages of it.

My brother has been working for this guy for 3 years and he wants to sell part of his work.

He's given us £3000 of work per month.

One of the things I wanted to know is how to approach the changeover with the exisiting customers. All of them know my brother and so it's not like a stranger is coming in and taking over so I wanted to word a letter to them that was not off putting but explained what was happening.

Any ideas?
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 3 March 2004
Hi Doubli - welcome to Cleanitup!

Remember to read the Welcome Message http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Startingwindowcleaning;action=display;num=1077733333  tell us a bit more about yourself and then start to read through a whole load of usefull posts - that'll keep you going for a while.   Wink

As to your current situation - excellent idea, if there is another clean due on the houses, your brother, but I would expect the man selling, could hand in that note to each house explaining what's happening, mentioning well known face, no drop in standard of cleaning, no break in cleaning schedule etc etc I'm sure you'll think of more.

Go for it, and ask all you want on the forums, you shouldn't be stuck.

All the best,

Davie
Posted by freegarda (Reflective Property Services), 5 March 2004
Whenever Ive bought (or sold) a round (which admittedly is only a couple of times) Ive gone round with the previous cleaner and got them to introduce me.

Takes a bit of time, but the customers really appreciate it, they are a lot more comfortable meeting you before they see you up the ladder at their window. It also helps if the customer has any special requirements, its easy to point them out on-site rather than it being described and having to picture it in your head.

One customer I didnt manage to do that with came out as soon as I'd got the ladder up saying they had already got a cleaner, even though the previous chap had told them I would be doing the round. Had to explain I'd taken over, and I could tell she wasnt quite sure about it.
Posted by doubli (doubli), 5 March 2004
The difference with this is that my brother has been working the round for 3 years with his boss - so it's not like it's not a familiar face

I was hoping someone might have some kind of letter template they'd used in the past perhaps that i could rip Smiley
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 5 March 2004
Hi

I agree with with Alex and Davie that you should try and go round the customers with the existing owner and pehaps leave a simple note for those that aren't in.

I'd use something like:

Dear Sir / Madam

As a valued customer of mine I wanted to inform you that all future window cleaning services will be dealt with by John Smith Window Cleaning. John has been working with me for the past 3 years and I have every confidence he will continue to offer a quality service at a competitive price.

Johns contact details are:

Address...
Tel.....
Mobile.....

Please do not hesitate to contact me on <01234 .....> if you have any queries.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your custom in the past and reassure you that you should find no difference in the level of service in the future.

Regards

<Previous owner>

Good luck - Mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.