Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Truck Mount security?
Posted by chris_rushton (Chris Rushton), 3 April 2004
Hi,
How do you truck mount lads get on for van security?
Do you leave the doors all unlocked, or is there a way to lock them with just enough space for the pipes to come out?
Just wonderin because I am hoping to get a tm soon, and its one of the many things that I dont understand about them Grin
thanks
Chris
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 3 April 2004
Chris,

Assuming the hoses come out the side, sliding door of your van, a stout metal grill, hinged at the front to the van body and padlocked via hasp-and-staple to the sliding door will keep the door secured part-open and allow hoses and ventilation to pass through.

Nothing will keep out a determined theif but I found this arrangement more than adiquate to keep out the opportunist and fiddling fingers of kids.

John.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 3 April 2004
Chris,
The oportunist is the main threat I think, however Ive had mine 15 months now - and I just leave doors open (side and back) not had a problem to date. I guess it depends on the sort of areas you operate in. I suppose a bulkhead would also help to be more secure though, I dont have one. I keep the back doors open to aid ventilation and I think this the most vulnerable place.
Dave.
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 3 April 2004
Lock the van doors and have the side door or rear door where ever your pipes and exhaust come out fastened on a chain with a padlock.
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 3 April 2004
I run all hoses, but dont connect to t/m until I lock all doors with central locking then open side door on key. All other doors stay locked, and thieves would not be able to climb over t/m to get in back of van. If I have to get in back door, open and lock same way with key. No probs so far.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 3 April 2004
Dave,

Have you thought about children injuring themselves?

In todays' increasingly litigious society we have to watch our backs constantly - even a theif attempting the impossible entry could sue you  Angry

John.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 4 April 2004
John,
Obviously I keep the driver and passenger doors locked. The side door has to stay fully open, and I leave the back doors open to aid ventilation as in my van, there is only about 18" head room above the TM and it gets very hot inside. I dont leave them wide open, I bring them together at an angle (If you know what I mean) and fasten them with a bungee. Not ideal I admit, however to date Ive never had kids messing about near the van - everyone steers clear of it, and I dont see how a theif could get injured, in the act unless he tripped over the pipes.
Dave.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 4 April 2004
Chris

I’ve never had a problem re security with my tm I have four door open two sides and the back and I work in some iffy areas shall we say, if parked in the road I have two a-boards one with trip hazard the other one advertising my service with a warning even the traffic wardens leave me a lone, (a few cc who have met me and probably agree, think of the most ugliest thing then double it that me) I wont go into any more details, if park on drive only the advertising one comes out, I get a few jobs from this perhaps they have a fetish.

John re children I have a sign at the main door advising danger I think this needs updating as it’s only in English, waiting reply from HSE to see what languages I need to cover myself then I will put on all doors. With regard too thief you have a right to use min force. But I get your drift.

Len

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 4 April 2004
Had to laugh at the languages thingy, don't they teach em to read English on other side o' river??
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 4 April 2004
John

I don’t want to get into a debate over this, as I’m not eloquent enough, not all the indigenous people can read English being north or south of the river! As are now in a cosmopolitan society and English is not the first language for some, but I do expect adults to understand the dangers but not children.  All I’m trying to saying I intend too cover my backside with my insurance company so they don’t have a get out clause, sorry Len you didn’t have the appropriate LANGUGE SIGN! As john put it increasingly litigious society we have to watch our backs constantly.

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 5 April 2004
Sorry Len did not mean to rattle your cage.( next door nieghbour Yorkshire Lass, sense of humour) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 5 April 2004
John

No offence taken

Len Grin Grin
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 5 April 2004
At a recent site in Cardiff, we were required to have signs in English and Welsh. Everyone we spoke to spoke English. A phrase involving sex and travel came to mind. Had to pass on this one as sunnier climes down under were calling me. My colleagues who took the job on stayed true English to the end. I think they even wore  St George's T shirts.

From The Land of Hope and Glory
Ken
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 9 April 2004
There is crime in the UK

what next

IVAR Grin
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 9 April 2004
Ivar,
Are there MANY carpet cleaners in Norway, I didnt think there were a lot of carpets around, up there?
Dave.
Posted by DG (DG), 10 April 2004
Hi all, I've been TM cleaning for 5 years now and have never had anyone brave (or stupid) enough to climb over a running truckmount.

If you are still concerned, Steamway sell a pannel that is fitted to your van so you can opperate with all the doors locked.

David
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 11 April 2004
who do you think cleans all those com accounts
many wool area rugs and rooms with carpet
most use portables i at least have a electric truck mount.

IVAR

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.