General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

aluminium/stainless steel
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 18 September 2003
Hi all,

I'm really a window cleaner, but a nightclub who's windows I do have aluminium/s steel up the sides of the stairs, around the bars, and on some of the ceilings.

Now youngsters being what they are while out on the town have leant against it and chucked their drinks all over it and it looks a right mess.

They do their own in house cleaning, and when speaking to their handyman, he said he can't get it clean but he has only been using soapy water, and when its dry it is completely streaky and looks just as bad again.

Any ideas what would clean it up? I'm sure that if I could get it clean I could probably get it added on to my window cleaning contract.

All help appreciated
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 18 September 2003
Wink  Yes Rob we have all been there!

you can,when its clean stainless steel can be wipe with a clean cloth with wd forty works not a lot of it,spray some on a cloth evenly you will see it will not smear,
there are some alli cleaners I think this one is called
Altranz this is for ali! Undecided

but make sure surfaces are clean first,your local janitorial supplys will be of great help to you,good luck! Cheesy
Thanks for you reply Terry,

Wouldn't wd40 mark peoples clothes if they leant on it?

I'll have a look at some kind of metal polish. I was just hoping someone else had come across this problem as this kind of decor is quite common, and knew of an quick and easy way to clean it.

Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 18 September 2003
Wink what you need to do is not put a lot on just cover the area,lightly,be sparering with it,hope this helps! Undecided
Posted by woodman (woodman), 18 September 2003
Hi Rob

My old mate used fit and clean stainless steel signs he would always clean them using undiluted white vinegar they came up sparkling also club soda to remove streaks

Give it a try costs next to nothing.
Let me know if it works.
Thanks woodman, I'll give it a try and let you know.
Posted by catrodney (catrodney), 18 September 2003
Hi Rob,
in reply to your question to clean stainless steel cleaning in club,the marks are proberly spilt drinks there are several ways to remove staining,firstly to remove staining treat an inconspicious first with peek polish this works everytime then maintain with any of the following,white vinegar,baby oil,shiny sinks and my favourite product vitopan stainless steel spray absolutely fantastic.
NB; whilst altrans is a good product i would personally not use for this ocassion as you would not know what grade of stainless steel you are treating and altrans is a very strong chemical for the removal of rust/scale and if used incorrectly could cause problems also using this product in come health & safety issues.if you still unsure contact a professional cleaning company.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.