Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Getting faster at window cleaning.
Posted by crystalclear (Crystal Clear Window Cleaning), 13 January 2004
Good evening all!
                         just a quick one, does anyone have any advise on getting faster at window cleaning ?
any help would be great,
Thanks
Rog (Crystal Clear Window Cleaning)
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 January 2004
Hi Rog
         Look at this topic Wink

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1073947251

Steve
Posted by poleman (poleman), 13 January 2004
YES buy a pole system Grin

andy dorset

fed member
Posted by BeeClean (BeeClean), 13 January 2004
Rog, just practice practice and more practice!
Posted by crystalclear (Crystal Clear Window Cleaning), 13 January 2004
Thanks bee!
would you say you practice alot when not out on the round?
Posted by BeeClean (BeeClean), 13 January 2004
No i dont do a lot of windows myself but its like anything the more you do the better you get. how long have you been doing it Huh
Posted by matt (matt), 14 January 2004
Ive been at it now 6 months and im twice as fast Smiley

its just practise as has been said, it will come in time
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 15 January 2004
Hi Rog
        One word of warning while you are trying to get faster and faster is to check and double check that the bottom of your ladder is placed properly. I have had two accidents over the last 19 years and in all honesty both were because i was flying through the work and started to get careless and nothing is more frightening that a sliding ladder Shocked

Sorry to state the obvious Wink

Steve
Posted by bm012e7270 (bm012e7270), 15 January 2004
MY MATE COME OFF THE LADDER LAST YEAR HE WILL NOT WORK EVER
Posted by Bones (Bones), 15 January 2004
on 01/15/04 at 15:34:40, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Rog
        One word of warning while you are trying to get faster and faster is to check and double check that the bottom of your ladder is placed properly.

I don't know about you guy's but as soon as i have my foot on the 2nd rung i bounce a couple of timesjust to see if it's stable, I know this ain't a fail-safe way (as i had the ladder slip back a foot yesterday) but it put's my mind at ease,.............. a bit Huh Roll Eyes Cheesy

Mikey
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 16 January 2004
You could always ask Terry Burrows if he needs an understudy  Grin
Denzle
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 16 January 2004
1st secure your
2nd feel safe
3rd be your self go as fast as you feel you can
4th wake up alive and clean another day.
5th praise be the lord. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 16 January 2004
u only bounce on grass, cant bounce on concrete  Huh Huh Huh
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 17 January 2004
Thats right.   Its not the ladders that you should be worrying about its the ground that does the damage.

Most times its the ground that causes a fall, not the ladder.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 17 January 2004
Does anyone use a laddermate Huh And are they any good Huh

Steve
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 17 January 2004
Steve,

Yes I use a ladder mate and reccommend them.

Alls you do is say do that window there and he runs up the ladder and cleans it for you and I find them completey safe lol because I am cleaning the ground floor.

I know which one you mean and I dont know but I have read about them and they seem good

Craig
Posted by samm (samm), 17 January 2004
I like the look of these, does any1 know the cheapest place to order it from Huh

cheers

sam
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 17 January 2004
Have a look at
http://www.scrimcity.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=265
I've found pic here  http://www.salveo.co.uk/laddermate.html , cheapest place so far cleantech 43.80 + vat, I think I'll invest in 1 of these.
Will it fit on an A frame extension Huh

Steve
steve, on this site http://www.safetyfirsteurope.co.uk/laddermate.htm it mentions you on the bottom rungs "Pull the two parts outward until they are touching the inside of the stiles an" so is could be universal enough for pointers.
Thanks Sam
                 Looks like my business account is going to take another battering on Monday Wink

Steve
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 17 January 2004
Hi,

I thought my comments would have made you peeps laugh but no one has commented on it so I guess its just me again who is laughing.

Regards

Craig
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 18 January 2004
The easiest way is to THINK what you are going to do next,  before you get there. Try it !
Jeff
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 19 January 2004
Hi Steve,

Have you bought your laddermate yet? I bought one about 4 weeks ago. I've used it once!

It was a real scutter to use. Sure it goes on the ladder quite quickly then adjusts no problem. But the angle you have your ladder at is fixed. I use titan/ LYTE ladders. When you fit the laddermate, the ladder is practically upright!! When I tried it with my ramsay pointers the angle was fine but I found that unless the ground is completely level the laddermate wouldn't sit right. Got really angry with it and chucked it in the van. Been there ever since  Smiley  Also when you move your ladder you have to keep doubling back to pick up your laddermate. I'm sure some window cleaners love them but I just couldn't get on with it at all.

I'm looking into getting ankalad. I've seen Sky installers using them. They fold away to the sides of the ladder when not in use. Has anyone tried them?
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 January 2004
Hi Steve
           No i have not bought my laddermate yet. I would not use it on every job just the odd one that looks a bit dodgy Shocked

Steve
Hi Steve,

Perhaps you are more patient than me  Grin

Ive seen a device that fits on the bottom of the stiles on the ladder. It adjusts the hieght of the ladder to allow for uneven ground. If used with the laddermate it would allow you to adjust the angle as well. Might solve some of the problems.

I'm getting a pole system in two weeks so hopefully won't have any more hassles.

If you do get the laddermate, I hope it works better for you.

Something things to try in the meantime. If surface is concrete or similair and has moss/mould on it. Get a damp terry towel (or scrim doubled over if you're stuck). Spread it on floor and put ladder on that. You'd be surpised how much more grip you get. A lot lighter than laddermate!

We get alot of ice up here in Aberdeen. I went round with ordinary table salt. Went round the job and put a bit on every spot where I was going to put the ladder. By time i'd gone round the building (3 mins) The first bit was de-iced! Perfect! and CHEAP! (We DO watch the pennies up here) My father in law bought an accessory for his ladder. He swears by it. It's a set of spikes that retract when not in use. Great for grass areas.

Anyone else got any tips?
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 January 2004
Hi Steve
           Is this what  Sky use Huh

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder_accsr_ankanotes.htm

Steve
Thanks steve, i'll check it out  Smiley
Yes. The legs fold away flat against the sides of the ladder when not in use. Probably adds a bit of wieght though. Maybe not worth it if you're only using it for the odd job.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.