Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Re: Franchise?
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 24 October 2003
My own experience, I went alone- no regrets, however no harm to look at all options.
Fintan
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 24 October 2003
Hi Scott

I would contact all the main franchises and they will probably invite you to spend a day with them... its a good start.

I know of a few Chem-Dry franchisees are leaving the group at the present time... I think its to do with some internal politics.

Franchises cost initially but once trained will provide some work to get you going...of course you are then encouraged to develop the business for yourself

Starting up yourself is cheaper but takes longer whilst you become established

Derek
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 24 October 2003
Be careful with franchising.  

I have had two ( from the same franchisor) and one wrong step and they will leave you out to dry. They gain from everything from insurance to products you need. plus they take a percentage, the more you earn the more they earn, or a set figure.

Yes, people make money every day franchising and some make a lot but the start up costs put you way behind from the start.

Don't mean to offend anyone with this post. Just speaking from a little bad experience, did i go to fast too soon

Maybe,
Lesson learned here though...

Start up costs for me so far about £150, with a franchise would of been £10,000+

Hmmm...

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 24 October 2003
Hi Scott,

I think you have to decide if you are the kind of person who needs the help of a franchisor. Some people are not cut out to be an independant operator yet could still happily operate a successful business as a franchisee. It is alot to do with deciding if you have really have the drive, ambition, personality and organisational skills to sort yourself out. The equipment, technical and marketing training are all available to you at a snip of the cost of a franchise.

Good luck

Nigel

Posted by Jim_Lynch (Jim_Lynch), 25 October 2003
Scott, all franchises are not identical. I'm in Australia and own two ChemDry franchises. Email me if I can be of help.

Cheers,

Jim
Posted by woodman (woodman), 25 October 2003
Scott, go to Daltons Weekly on line,

they have some established franchises for sale,you could  hit the ground running,but you'll have to pay a bit for these Sad
Posted by scottrobinson (scottrobinson), 25 October 2003
Thanks all for your replies, you have definatly given me some more to think about, I ll let you know when i have made my decision.

Thanks all.

Regards Scott. Cool

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.