Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Best Rubber?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 13 November 2003
I have only ever used Pulex rubber because its all my local supplier stocks but since I can now order on the net I`ve been looking at other brands. Ettore and Unger rubber are a lot more expensive (relatively speaking), so what is the difference and are they worth the extra? I don`t mind paying more if I notice a big improvement.  Gerry.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 November 2003
Hi Gerry,
            I have tried all the different rubbers but find Ettore the best but i guess its just personal preference.

Steve
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 13 November 2003
I used to use unger all the time as it was the first rubber I ever used, but then i started buying pulex in packs which works out at half the price and i can't tell any difference.
Cheers lads.That`s what I was getting at Rob, the others are about twice the price of Pulex and wondered if it was justified.Can`t see that they`d be that much better, especially if you change your rubber regularly.   Gerry.
Posted by fez (fez), 13 November 2003
I usually use Unger but have just bought a pack of Pulex to try them out. I have found them a bit too soft, in places at the edges they have left a long wide smear sometimes, has anyone else found this or is it just me?

I change my rubber every other day- before you ask! Wink
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 13 November 2003
Hi g_griffin
On another post I told haw I visited a shop in ipswich, Suffolk, call the windowclean centre i could not beleive the prices of there equipment I brought 10 36inch Ettore rubbers for £19.00 works out £1.90 each plus vat that is as cheap as the cheaper ones on the market.
Give them a call and they'll send you a catalogue, they are working towards a website but for now can order from there catalogue. You will be suprised with there prices, savings from rubbers, GG4, poles and lots more number is:
0800 413512 fax is: 01473 216623 or email on sales@windowcleancentre.co.uk
Hope this helps.
Alan
Fez,  do you use Unger channel? I read somewhere that Unger`s rubber fits better in their own channel. Don`t know how true this is or whether they are just trying to get you to buy their own rubber.  Gerry.   ps. I use pulex channel so pulex rubber works ok.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 13 November 2003
I used to use Unger rubber all the time  , now I use pulex and change it every day , and turn the rubber around at lunch time  Cool
Posted by matt (matt), 13 November 2003
Ribbed  Wink for her pleasure Tongue
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 14 November 2003
Cheesy For my special 12 incher! Shocked I always use pulex
they are soft and let you bend and twist better!
some rubbers stick and break on the glass Tongue thats no
good when.for example  I go into competitions,to glide with no friction is what I look for! Wink
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 14 November 2003
Thanks Alan, sounds good, Ettore is about same price as I`m paying for Pulex so I`ll try it. I hate to say but I don`t think I`ll be ordering anymore gg4. I really wanted to like it and some days I thought it was excellent but on others really struggled. So after a few months of experimenting I`m fed up of going to work not knowing how it`s going to be and therefore losing money (I know it could be my fault ). It does work really well with Fairy but it`s a bit dear to use like this. Thought I`d never mention the F-word again but I`ll have to go and  buy some more with my tail firmly between my legs.   Gerry.  ps sorry to go on we were talking about rubber!
Wink dont feel so bad about gg4 I tried as well,and I went back to fairy,the only fing gg4 is good for  Tongue is it gets your hands clean! Wink
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 14 November 2003
Cheers Terry, if its good enough for you.....
the  only problem with Fairy is mopping up after. But I suppose if you don`t over- soak your applicator it isn`t that bad.   Gerry.                          
WinkI will say after many years of fairy,I have noticed a
drop in the fairy,suds do not seem to last as long as they did years ago Sad the problem is people like to see suds! gg4 is sud less and to carry around 2 lots of soap
seems pointless,gg4 is not cheap to buy,American hypo
marketing thats all that is Tongue
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 November 2003
Hi g_griffin and terry.
Well worth giving w.c.ceantre a call.
After a couple of months I feel the same as you with GG4 can really wind you up but will stick with it for a bit longer but have noticed the difference with detailing with less smear but will say not as good as I thought.
Nightmare with nicotine when cleaning inside pubs,hotels etc.
May be I'll go back to persil.
Good luck
Alan

Posted by fez (fez), 14 November 2003
on 11/13/03 at 20:20:25, g_griffin wrote:
Fez,  do you use Unger channel? I read somewhere that Unger`s rubber fits better in their own channel. Don`t know how true this is or whether they are just trying to get you to buy their own rubber.  Gerry.   ps. I use pulex channel so pulex rubber works ok.

Yeah, it's funny that you should mention that, I do use Unger channel and the other day the Pulex rubber came loose in the channel at one end as if it were too small for the channel. I might go back to Ungers own.

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 November 2003
Hi Alan
         I like you are still not too sure about GG4 Embarassed Its the lack of glide with the squeegee that i don't like but like you i will carry on for a while and persevere Huh

Steve
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 November 2003
Hi Steve
What ever happened with the days get up grab your work,bucket of equipment stick abit of fairy in it do a days work with out worrying about what liquid to buy, what water system to buy etc.etc.
Are we making are days work more complicated then we have too. and are we driven by technology.
I think I will put this on as a new post.
Cheers Alan
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 November 2003
Hi Alan,
          I agree with you but i guess this is what the window cleaners said when the squeegee first came out and look at how much quicker that is Shocked

Steve
Posted by paul (paul), 23 November 2003
HI ALL USE TO USE UNGER BUT FOUND THEM NOT TO BE VERRY GOOD LATELY NOW HAVE A LOCAL RUBBER COMPANY THAT MAKES THE AND THEY CHARGE £1.00 FOR A 36INCH LENGTH AND I HAD ABOUT 100 FREE LENGTHS WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED MAKING THEM TO TRY THEM OUT YOU CANT BEAT THAT FOR VALUE FOR MONEY
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 23 November 2003
u know where it says caps lock on keyboard, try tapping it once  Kiss

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.