Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Restaurant Carpet - What would you charge.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 16 November 2003
This is not for a quote but to do with a job I used to do.
Indian restaurant carpets. Ground floor heavy soiled goodquality 80/20 100 sq yds, 15 stairs (1 mtr wide),
Upstairs filthy Pale baground coloured Belgian Wilton 67 sq yds. I will explain reason for info required when a few have responded.
Dave.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 16 November 2003
Fintan,

I do not price per square yard but assuming that the job includes moveing chairs, tables etc., I would probable charge a new customer something like £500-£600 for the innitial clean, subsequent cleans in line with whatever maintenance plan I proposed would be at a substantially lower rate.

I do not compete on price - if their window cleaner offers to do the job with a hire machine, and they accept, then so be it. I charge a higher rate if later asked to make good the shoddy work of others!

John.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 17 November 2003
Dave,

Sorry for changeing you name in previous post Embarassed (

Seems that the other 58 people who read your post are a bit shy about shareing their prices. Saw the picture on Cleantalk - how often do you clean this carpet?

John.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 17 November 2003
John £500-£600,  I'd quote £700 Grin As I also don't compete on price. My prices are ten times more than anyone else in my town.

the thing that I can't work out is, if I'm the most expensive carpet cleaner in town why  I'm also the poorest Huh

to be serious, I'd charge half your price and have it done in half a day.

Mike
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 17 November 2003
Mike,

If you're the second best looking carpet cleaner in Britain why worry about riches  Grin

The price mentioned included additional time carpet fitting on the belgain wilton and may well have been lower if I had seen the carpets - but then I am not especially keen on restraurant carpets anyway !

John.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 17 November 2003
Perhaps I shouldnt say this, but what the heck - see Cleantalk for restaurant (3). Cleaned once a year. Mike you wouldnt do it in half a day believe me even with a super duper all dancing and singing bestess Tm around, three quarters, maybe?!
Dave.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 17 November 2003
Dave you hav'nt seen me move!

Have you seen the film Alien where sigourney Weaver get some ducktape and straps two flame throwers together?, well I've used the same technique with my wands  Shocked

Mike
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 17 November 2003
Ok Dave

How much are u charging them now they have grovvelled  lol.

Mark

PS

I am doing a chinese restaurant wednesday night total 1000 sq ft    111 yards i quoted £250 and she bit me hand off,   there again another place would have haggled.

I think if they know u can do a good job ure half way there.

Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 17 November 2003
Figure out what you need to make per hour or would like to make per hour

forget about the sq yard price that subject can go on forever.

IVAR Roll Eyes
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 18 November 2003
And why not we want a range of opinions.

My price is on Cleantalk.

I would even be prepared to travel up North to do it
Posted by Caesar (Caesar), 15 December 2003
In america my commercial prices are 45 cents per square foot...Very high,but remember.In England,no hire(rental type can compete)...You are the few and the very best...They need you...Always remember to keep that in mind...for every one you turn down resolve yourself to find a two new ones.That way you stay ahead of the game...An if they choose not too.A call to the health authorites works well too...Immediate pressure to use you...At a higher price at that point...Remember you have bills and mouths to feed...
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 15 December 2003
I work on a £35.00 AN HOUR
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 15 December 2003
Hi Guys

Pricing is always a very tough call, and i would guess that those of us that have been 'at it' for years (not me, yet) still underprice sometimes, and still 'get it wrong'.

I usually work off £2.00 per metre (9 sq Ft) and £1.50-2 per stair. Depends on the pile depth, soilage, stains, furniture moving, etc, etc, etc.

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 15 December 2003
I price by the square yard £2.70 and it tends to work out hourly rate wise as:

Domestic £35-£40 per hour

Commercial £45-£50 per hour.

Obviuosly the hourly rate I earn for the commercial is higher because of the larger area and you can get more of a wriggle on hahaha  Also with domestic there is the time factor of chatting to the customer, having a cup of tea etc etc.

I have decided as a sort of New Year Resolution that for any commercial jobs ie Restaurants (Indian and Chinese) and also pubs that I wont clean unless they commit to a maintanence contract because I am fed up of them calling out to clean only when the carpet is in absolute Dire Straits and ready for the tip.

Ta

Mark

I have started to prepare sales letters to send out to commercial premises on the first of the new year about my maintanence programme.

If anyone would like a copy e mail me. And b4 I get grief yes it does read a little like Joe Polish so if u have  a problem with that dont ask  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin   Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.