Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Junkie's cleaning windows - should I phone the DSS
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 11 January 2004
Junkie’s ,,  Angry Am sick fed up of all the junkie’s that are out window cleaning in my area.. not that I lose that much work because of them , the thing is that there on the dole and working  at the same time . I think there *******   everyone Over and Over again.
Mainly us the hard working, tax paying suckers.  

I have never grassed on anyone but am nearly at the point of phoning DSS just to get rid of them.  

Please tell me what do you think?

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 11 January 2004
People like them give the window cleaning industry a bad name , people will see them and think all window cleaners are the same , most people think window cleaners are a shifty lot to start with . I would have no problem in making a phone call . If they are above board no problem , go ahead make that call Cool
Posted by paul (paul), 11 January 2004
i totally agree we not seen to have a good job as it is so this can only bring are good name down further the quicker they lisence the trade the better
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 11 January 2004
I havent seen any "junkies" - by which I suppose you mean drug addicts working in my area (Bristol) but I do see my fair share of roughians! (Who are obviosly on the dole)

Yes it does give window cleaning a bad name, but customers are discerning, and it makes good window cleaners all the more valued.

Just a word of moderation regarding drug addicts- lets remember that they are victims.

Silly
No time for them ,self inflicted.
Posted by Sunshine (Sunshine), 11 January 2004
If you want my advice pick the phone up and make the call.

These people are giving you and me a bad name. If they are on the dole...who is paying for them..you and I!!! As for the previous post which states that they are the victim...yeh right. the victims are the people who houses they brake into, who cars they steal and whose lives they destroy. How would you feel if one of these people sold drugs to your childrenHuh
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 11 January 2004
all you can do is try and look and behave as proffessional as possible. use this to get work by stating that you are this and not some crook using it as a cover for illeagal activities.  i have had some strange people trying to get work in my area. it always annoys me when you are seen in an area for years and a house that you have knocked on before takes some muppet on who might be a quid cheaper than you without knowing anything about him. a nice story for you all a window cleaner near me had his round wrecked by a bloke undercutting him, he had to reloacate and get work else where, the new bloke did them once and then loads of houses get robbed and he is never seen again. he told me he got great satisfaction by telling the ones that wanted him back that he could not do them and they should have stuck with him.
I used to clean the windows of a old couple , they had a window cleaner call and offer to do there windows for £1.50 cheaper than me,I told them that this is my only income I do not have a regular dole cheque every couple of weeks, and I clean every 2 weeks not when I feel like it , any way they went for the other guy .A couple of months later I was asked if I could start to clean there windows again as they had to get rid of the other cleaner as he had,
broke there gutter, scratched there car , and broken plant pots , I told them that as this was my full time job I have replaced them with someone else  and could not fit them in , what a look I got  Cool
Posted by simonb (simonb), 11 January 2004
Any of my customers who went to someone else on price I view as not worth keeping anyway.
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 11 January 2004
Nice one Majestic and I agree that anyone who shops around are not worth keeping it like shopping for a car you dont get a price from a Skoda garage then go to a Mercedes garage and tell him he is a few grand to expensive.  I am not calling Skodas cos they have improved a lot but the poing is a different class of machine and it is the same senario with windows - I do a job for the cash not a fix

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.