Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Insurance
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 19 January 2004
Just a story for the people coming on here wanting advice on starting up in the cleaning industry. A few years ago i had a phone call from another cleaning franchise (when i was a franchisee now freelance) out of the blue. I didn't know this gentleman from Adam and he was talking to me like i was a long lost friend. To cut a lengthy phone call down he had cleaned a cotton suite. The customer had phoned the following day and wasn't happy with the end result, so he had gone back to see what he could do. As the covers still looked grubby he said he would take the covers back to his office and give them special treatment. Having the covers in his van he headed for the nearest dry cleaners and left them there for 2 days. On picking them up he noticed they were pink, the problem been when he dropped them off they were cream!! On confronting the shop assistant she pointed out the signs around the shop stating no liability for colour run. Hence the phone call to me offering £200 if i said i had done the damage and claimed off my insurance, on reply i suggested he contact his own insurance company. Lo an behold no insurance, costing the gentleman £2000 for a new suite. So make sure you get insured as there are still a lot of cleaners out there not insured.. A good company i found was the N.F.U. covering all aspects of my insurance needs. Touch wood after 14 years i have not needed it but you never know.......... Anybody else got any true stories  they would like to share.

Steve
Posted by Appleton_Cleaning (Bill Appleton), 20 January 2004
Absolute class!!  I've just come to the industry after being made redundant from 10 years in the insurance biz - 4 years of that investigating fraud!  I got £2M public liab from HSBC for £113.00!!  Smiley
Posted by Les (Les), 20 January 2004
Just a question..
My insurance company wouldn't cover me against the problem you describe as it would deemed 'negligence' on my part. Would N.F.U. or anyone else ?
Just wanted to check in case I need to change Insurers. Smiley
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 20 January 2004
Be careful what insurance you get. There is a big difference between third party( incidental damage to property) and treatment risk, sometimes called product liability. Only the latter will cover you for ruining a job. Third party will cover you for breaking an ornament or something.
Product insurance is quite a lot more expensive as it will cover for the above cockup, they will not be happy and premiums will rise if they think you are negligent. I would have to pay the first £350 that makes you more careful).
I have had one claim on a cotton deepbuttoned chesterfield for a horrible woman. I nearly walked before I started the job. The sofa was OK when I left and I am certain she poked a hole in it to claim. She rang the next morning and launched straight into the 'I will sue you and I work in a solicitor's office' routine.
She got her sofda recovered & I did not refund the money as she was demanding.......Be careful.

Trevor

Posted by Appleton_Cleaning (Bill Appleton), 20 January 2004
Trevor, my excess on property damage is £250, and the policy INCLUDES damage to the item you are working on!

The policy originates with NIG/Churchill, and I got it through the HSBC Brokers on 01202 455 545.

Stay sane,

Bill
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 21 January 2004
on 01/20/04 at 18:00:18, Bill Appleton wrote:
Absolute class!!  I've just come to the industry after being made redundant from 10 years in the insurance biz - 4 years of that investigating fraud!  I got £2M public liab from HSBC for £113.00!!  Smiley

Just to say the N.F.U. charge me £75 for £5 mill cover (public liability ) and it covers everything from shrinking carpets (not that us dry cleaners can shrink a carpet Roll Eyes )to colour run in suites or rugs or anything else for that matter. Excess £250. Never used  touch wood.
Posted by md_cleaning (md_cleaning), 21 January 2004
Steve
       How do I get in touch with the N.F.U your insurance is much cheaper than mine at £219
    Dave
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 21 January 2004
on 01/21/04 at 20:37:56, md_cleaning wrote:
Steve
       How do I get in touch with the N.F.U your insurance is much cheaper than mine at £219
    Dave

Look thru yellow pages for National Farmers Union Insurance. They are also very good for car and van insurance. I deal with the branch in Darlington Co. Durham

Posted by md_cleaning (md_cleaning), 21 January 2004
Thanks steve, will do that.
                             Dave
Posted by Les (Les), 22 January 2004
Thanks for the insurance tips. I have been with the co-op for 3 years and pay over £300 plus it seems to be on a 'Need to know' basis re: the actual cover. Probably tell me when I need to know! Grin
Posted by Appleton_Cleaning (Bill Appleton), 24 January 2004
on 01/21/04 at 18:32:19, SteveTruman wrote:
Just to say the N.F.U. charge me £75 for £5 mill cover (public liability ) and it covers everything from shrinking carpets (not that us dry cleaners can shrink a carpet Roll Eyes )to colour run in suites or rugs or anything else for that matter. Excess £250. Never used  touch wood.

Curses! & I thought I was the tightest Get around! Grin
Will definitely be giving NFU a call for renewal ( grumblegrumblegrumble) Angry Angry Angry

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.