Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

starting up equipment
Posted by danny (danny), 5 August 2003
Thanx for everyones help with my question about flyers Grin. your answers were very helpful.

Can anyone give me some advice about what equipment i will need to start cleaning domestic windows to save me spending a fortune on stuff i dont need to start with.

Many thanx

Danny
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 6 August 2003
simple stuff for a start up
a squegee handle,go for a good one this is what earns your money. i use a pro unger stainless
you are going to pay between £3.50 and £5.50
a 12" and an 18" channel maybe a 6" one very handy but not neccesary a 6" starts at£2.50 an 18" about £4.00
a 14" applicator t bar and sleeve comes to about £6.50
an 18" one would be handy again but not at start up
go for a oblong bucket easier to use harder to transport. if your going to put it inside the car get one with a lid basic bucket is £5.50 one with a lid £14
ladders if you go for a trade they cost you more last longer and are made for daily use but they weigh a ton. dont bother going for a point top ladder unless you need too, i.e shop fronts. also get a d rung ladder as a round rung kills your feet after a days use.
a step ladder.
get a scraper not from b&q with a stanley blade these scratch glass!!!!!. buy one from a window cleaning supplier the use fine razor blades, much better but never use dry always wet the glass. worth the £2.50 than scratching a £500 patio door unit.
get some good lint free cotton cloth for detailing work, scrim is dear. some swear by it i dont after 15 years i never got used to it and found better for the job.old roller towel is brilliant for the job its well washed lint free and very absorbent.
avoid normal dishwashing detergent. again some say its all they ever use. i switched to glimmer and never looked back better cleaning the windopws stay better longer. kinder to your hands
thats your basics after that its all stuff to make life easier once you have learnt your trade. a tool belt works well
a pole pays for its self in a short while.
be awrae of gimmicks and use the forum if something takes your fancy post a question see what others think
good luck
heres my supplier cheap and very helpful http://www.cleantech.co.uk/
Posted by dave_ball (dave_ball), 6 August 2003
Hi Danny I've used Express in Malvern for ages suggest you try to speak to Chris if you help help with a start up package reasonable prices and get stuff to you next day most of the time only problem is you have to order £50 to get free delivery Angry Used to use Scrim City but they were always out of stock. Might give cleantech a try next time. Anyone else know of any good suppliers? Dave
Posted by John (John), 7 August 2003
What is the scraper used for primarily? Bird muck? Paint drips? Something I've not thought of?

Do the all in one one-wipe sleeves/squeegees work well?

Thanks,

John.
Posted by Skowee (Skowee), 8 August 2003
Hi

I have found the Unger safety scraper the best so far. It retracts back in to itself, you can buy the blades in a plastic box that also takes your used blades. If used with the bucket on a belt it is always to hand.

Hope this helps
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 8 August 2003
all in one squegee / aplicators are dificult to use, the main use for these is pole work to save time changing over tools. for normal work  seperates are the best way
Posted by John (John), 9 August 2003
Thanks for info re all in one applicator/squeegee.

What is the scraper used to scrape? Typically?

Yes, I'm wet behind the ears.

John.
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 9 August 2003
bird crap, paint, silicon, anything that wont wash off.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.