Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

anyone got a H&S policy?
Posted by simonb (simonb), 17 March 2004
I'm a 1 man band but I've been asked to provide details of my H&S policy.

I don't think I can say "If the wind is strong enough to blow my baseball cap off I don't go up a ladder"

So has anyone got a document I can use?

Can u post it here so others can use it?
Posted by replacement (Justin R), 17 March 2004
Strange that one.

I bet its some old man nothing better to do asking. Then again might be a good selling point having an H&S policy, then again i thought that with my PL insurance but no one seams to be bothered when i tell them i am fully insured.

God dame is that the time goto go....

Justin
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 17 March 2004
Quote:
So has anyone got a document I can use?

The Fed can help you here, this is their great area of expertise.  

There isn't one single document that you can just print and give to them, your H&S policy also includes method statements and an individual risk assessment unique to that particular building.

Quote:
I bet its some old man nothing better to do asking.

Insurance companies are now starting to require all contractors to comply with H&S laws, and the company's own H&S policy (which is usually much more rigourous).  Last year a hotel was fined £40,000 by the HSE because a window cleaner fell while working and died.  Even though you are self employed, the customer is still liable while you are working on their premises.  Insurance companies are getting scared about large compensation claims.

Philip
Posted by Ian_Giles (Ian_Giles), 17 March 2004
Oh dear,
It is health and safety concerns that are prompting me to go for a WFP system.
Is a little dismaying to hear that some companies are now starting to ask about health and safety issues from the likes of us poor old window cleaners.
I mean, what's to say for goodness sake!
You erect a ladder, climb it, clean the windows, move on to the next one!
Are we really expected to start giving full and detailed descriptions of our equipment, its condition, the way in which we use them and move them?

If you sit down and start to write out this in detail you would be amazed how complicated it can be!

I wonder how many of the buildings of companies that ask this information have all the eyelet bolts that you can attach your ladders to?

Pretty soon we are going to need insurance to walk on the pavement, and probable proof that we have been on training courses to obtain a walking licence Undecided
Posted by Willy (Willy), 17 March 2004
Don't bust a gut worrying about it. i don't know why everyone is so scared of it. I have worked for various large companies, including ones who work on/in other peoples premissies and no matter what the nature of your business, self assessment/on job risk assessment and common sense are at the heart of ALL H&S policies. I am pretty certained I have saw a thread on here about it, look through some of the earlier ones. Why don't you also look on the net. or just phone up some public service company and ask for a copy of their H&S policy, e.g. gas board, electriciy or water board, then adapted it to suit yourself.  You can write what you want, but if you don't adhere to it "to the letter" (which no one does or the country would grid to a halt) whats the point? The point is you have got one and are showing you are aware of the potential hazards. If some old fart gives you grief about something that is not on it, that he has sat up all night think'n about, "Aah, that comes under On Job Risk assesment". See where I'm coming from?     Remember to make the print small and the font difficult to read!
Posted by simonb (simonb), 17 March 2004
Thanks for the replies but looks like none of you have one.

The company who asked me is one I subbie for.
Posted by jake (jake), 18 March 2004
Simon

I think what Willy is saying is basically right, a H&S policy is a thing your going to be asked for at sometime or another, so get one now, as he says, it's nothing to be worried about. Method statements and risk assessments would be provided along side of the policy but isn't part of it. Send me your e-mail address and I might be able to help further.  

Jake
Posted by simonb (simonb), 19 March 2004
Its in your mail
simon
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 19 March 2004
You don't need a written Health & Safety Policy unless you have at least 5 employees. Can't hurt with the current Insurance climate though, companies are more interested now in Safety Policies & Statements.

The Fed have an information pack ring 0161 432 8754 which also covers Risk Assessment & Method Statement or maybe now is a good time to join.
Posted by simonb (simonb), 19 March 2004
Can u get the pack without joining?
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 20 March 2004
Quote:
Can u get the pack without joining?

What, can you have the benefits of membership without paying Grin

It's only £50 per year, worth it for things like this. It's no great secret though, try the HSE site:  http://www.hse.gov.uk/ there is some advice there.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.