Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

GG4 and warm water
Posted by matt (matt), 18 December 2003
I have a fair few scrimmers to do, mainly leaded windows

as i have to stick my hands in the water, i have been using warm water (i know it only stays warm for a while, but its a start Wink)

is any1 else having probs with the squeegee not gliding at all Sad
Posted by fez (fez), 18 December 2003
Try upping the dosage a little. I use either 10ml or 15ml with no problems. I tried 20ml the other day but it was too "suddy" for my liking. Just experiment a little. Eveyone has their own preferances.

I use hot water all the time for a better clean - and neoprene gloves to keep my hands warm. Wink
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 19 December 2003
Hi Matt,

That was my  problem with gg4. You could try adding extra but I also found not wiping my squeegee rubber between passes helped and I would occasionally dip my blade in the bucket to help glide. Oh and change your rubber every five minutes (slight exaggeration). Theres also a section on squeegee drag on Titans website- www.titanlabs.net/gg4.htm
      This helped me but not enough Grin

Gerry
Posted by denzle (denzle), 19 December 2003
Matt,
A good way of doing leaded is to use a spray bottle with the tip wound down to spray a very light mist of GG4 / Water solution over your glass. Then just wipe the glass clean with one cloth and buff with another very dry one. The results are excellent and your hands stay fairly dry.
Hope this helps and that i'm not trying to teach an old dog new tricks..... and i'm not calling you an old dog either.  Grin
Denzle
Posted by Paulcoz33 (Paulcoz33), 19 December 2003

I have a slight problem, what do you use to wipe your blade between each pass. i use just a tea towel and it gets soden in no time. Fairly new to this so all advice welcomed thanks
Posted by fez (fez), 19 December 2003
Don't wipe the blade. I used to (as I was taught), but I have since found that there is no real advantage to this. Especially with GG3/GG4 it only hinders you.

Cut out the wiping and you'll save time. Just apply soap solution, squeegee off and then detail with a scrim or huck towel. Following this, I wipe the sill off with a small hand towel.

I hope that this helps. Wink
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 December 2003
Hi Paul,
          Why would you need to wipe your blade Huh I use GG4 and just use the s method and that works fine for me Smiley

Steve
Posted by matt (matt), 19 December 2003
cheers guys Smiley

i didnt think of a spray bottle, ive seen them on sites, but didnt think of a fine mist for leaded windows

Smiley
Posted by fez (fez), 19 December 2003
I just use a clean towel or scrim dipped in my solution of GG3 and water and then wrung out. After a quick wipe over, I buff up with a clean scrim.
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 20 December 2003
Paul,

You dont`t need to wipe your blade if using gg3/4  but I know what you mean if using washing up liquid. You could use your damp scrim or chamois, they still get wet but are easier to wring dry. I just use an old scrim if using fairy. You`ll find you need to wipe the squeegee less when changing the rubber regularly.

Gerry.
Posted by peterf (peterf), 20 December 2003
on 12/19/03 at 20:35:52, Paulcoz33 wrote:
I have a slight problem, what do you use to wipe your blade between each pass. i use just a tea towel and it gets soden in no time. Fairly new to this so all advice welcomed thanks

Do you use Ettore rubbers Paul ?

Gerry, what rubbers do you use ?

Peter

Posted by Paulcoz33 (Paulcoz33), 20 December 2003
on 12/20/03 at 15:55:48, peterf wrote:
Do you use Ettore rubbers Paul ?

Gerry, what rubbers do you use ?

Peter

Posted by Paulcoz33 (Paulcoz33), 20 December 2003
yes
on 12/20/03 at 16:00:37, Paulcoz33 wrote:
yes

I think you will find that the Ettore rubber is your problem, that is why you have to wipe your rubber between each pass of the squeegee.  The Ettore rubber is narrower in places and causes the soap to come over the back and on to the glass while squeegeeing.

It is not a problem with all Ettore rubbers the bad ones come in large batches, and they are only fit for the bucket, unless you want to waste time wiping the rubber every time you take it off the glass.
I told them about it years ago but they were not interested, so I changed to a different brand.

Change to Pullex SOFT and you won't have to wipe your rubber no matter what soap you use, or how much soap.  Pullex is much cheaper anyway, and is a much better rubber.

Peter

Peter,

I use Pulex because its all I could get hold off locally and although I can now order on-line I still buy it but I`ve considered trying others. I don`t have a problem with it but I know what Paul meant. When you add a bit too much Fairy the rubber can get full of suds and it needs a wipe but I suppose this can  happen with Ettore and Unger.
      I have found that I need to change the Pulex soft rubber more often though. It doesn`t seem to last as long.
                  Gerry.

on 12/20/03 at 17:19:05, g_griffin wrote:
Peter,

I use Pulex because its all I could get hold off locally and although I can now order on-line I still buy it but I`ve considered trying others. I don`t have a problem with it but I know what Paul meant. When you add a bit too much Fairy the rubber can get full of suds and it needs a wipe but I suppose this can  happen with Ettore and Unger.
      I have found that I need to change the Pulex soft rubber more often though. It doesn`t seem to last as long.
                  Gerry.

Gerry, I thought Paul said he uses Ettore rubbers not Pulex.  The problem I described is with Ettore rubbers not Pulex.  The rubber should not need wiped unless you have a faulty Ettore one, it shouldn't matter how much soap you use.

I knew a window cleaner once who put the fairy straight from the bottle on to his applicator, he never had to wipe his rubber before putting it on the glass, he was one of the best window cleaners I have ever came across.

Peter

Sorry Peter,

I didn`t see your last post. I recently got some Pulex soft( must have been using standard before) and could tell the difference,I could even use gg4 successfully (I`d had a bad few days on Fairy getting wet through). That must have been my gg4 problem- soft rubber helps as does changing it a lot more often.

That must be me being a skinflint and I`m self-taught (until now Cheesy), so I didn`t know any different. I hope so anyway and its not another false dawn.

Cheers,

Gerry.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 December 2003
I have been using Ettore rubbers for about the last 10 years with no problems. Perhaps i have just been lucky but i use them with GG4 no problems.

Steve
Posted by pw (paul w), 20 December 2003
i find pulex better than ettore and thay last longer worst for me was syr [scot young] that was *rap  would have been better off with a windscreen wiper Embarassed Roll Eyes
Posted by peterf (peterf), 21 December 2003
on 12/20/03 at 20:18:05, Steve Lowe wrote:
I have been using Ettore rubbers for about the last 10 years with no problems. Perhaps i have just been lucky but i use them with GG4 no problems.

Steve

I don’t suppose you wipe your rubber every time you take it off the glass do you Steve?

You didn't use GG4 10 years ago, did you not have problems with soap coming from the back of your squeegee? If not you must have been lucky, or you wiped your squeegee after taking it off the glass.

Peter

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 21 December 2003
Hi Peter,
            I have been using GG4 for about six months now but before that i used fairy liquid . I only ever need to wipe my squeegee blade if i ever get a bit of paint or something like that on it Huh

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.