Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Yellow Pages !!
Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 9 January 2004
Hi Guys

Happy new year an all that Jazz !

Just wondering if you could help me out, I'm thinking of advertising in the yellow pages but just really want to know if it's actually worth it? do you really get quality calls? if so roughly how many a month? and from whats size add/cost? only reason I ask is that im trying to go on me own as my boss works me like a dog with very little rewards.

cheers

Wink
Posted by paul (paul), 9 January 2004
THE FED DOES A DEAL WITH YELLOW PAGES IF YOUR A MEMBER BUT I FOUND THE LOCAL ADVERTISING DIRECTORY MUCH BETTER THAN YELLOW PAGES Huh
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 9 January 2004
Staybright,
You are too late for this years Yellow Pages as it comes out in a few days time. It has all ways done me well and brings in some good work as well as a few price shoppers. You will pay a lot to go in under a decent sized advert, probably between £300 - £500 depending on the size of advert. They will give you a decent discount on your first year though.
As Paul said you can go in under the federation heading but i don't know what the cost of that is.
I know i keep harping on about it but a well sign written vehicle will bring you in loads of work and its advertising your service 24/7 everywhere you go.
You could also go door knocking, your either good at it or your not ( I'm not ) but if you are that should keep the work coming in.
Are you on a non compete contract with your present firm because you could have problems canvassing the areas he already has ?
Denzle

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 9 January 2004
I have done ok with Yellow Pages , have had quite a bit of work from it. but there are only a couple of window cleaners in my area that are in it .Have you looked in your local yellow pages how many other window cleaners are in it . If you join the Nat Fed you get a discount for a add in the YP under the federation box . I have just been quoted a price of £78 plus another £15 per extra line . Cool
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 9 January 2004
on 01/09/04 at 15:40:28, Denzle wrote:
Staybright,
You are too late for this years Yellow Pages as it comes out in a few days time.

I have a feeling that the Yellow pages comes out at different times in different areas - I would double check before you dismiss it for that reason.

From what others have said here the best way seems to be leaflets and / or knocking on doors!

Regards

Mike

Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 9 January 2004
Mike is right the yellow pages does come out at different intervals in different areas because I advertise my other businesses in various regions and they start in different months so check it out.  As for advertising or getting more work I think flyers, door knocking and a good tidy van which is signwritten would be a credit to you but number one I would say a great job well done and word of mouth.

I hope this helps

Craig
Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 10 January 2004

Wow thanks guys for the great response !!

I'm not under any contract so I can canvass, I do think this is a good way to gain business but was just checking out other avenues. I will find out when the YP dead line is for my area as it seems like a good investment.
Also this Fed thing is that The NFMWC? as I think I may as well join as it seems to have good benifits.

Once again thanks !
Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.