Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

employment status of window cleaners
Posted by Claire_Bennett (Claire_Bennett), 25 September 2003

Im wondering what employment status you guys give to the cleaners that help you out on your rounds.

Are they employed by you or are they classed as self employed, do do give them a p46 to fill out, or do  you have to pay holiday or sick pay entitlements etc etc.

I'm actually wanting to start own domestic house cleaning business (not windows) but am getting a bit bogged down with issues concerning employing other cleaners etc, wondering if it was the same in the window cleaning industry?  Huh
guess nobody wants to answer this question Undecided
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 25 September 2003
Hi Claire
         Before you employ others you really should get the advice of an accountant because the Inland Revenue has got regulations about how any employees would be seen to them. You would probably be better employing them paye but as i say i would ask an accountant for advice.  Cheesy

Hope this helps

Steve Lowe
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 25 September 2003
Clair,
For House cleaning, employ them part time PAYE  below the National Insurance Contribution limits, currently £89 per week and you will not pay any employers laibility or will they pay tax or N.I. if this is their only job.  You will have to pay holiday pay, currently 4 weeks per year but cost this into their pay.
Window Cleaning is generally full time whereas cleaning is part time.
thank you for that advise, brilliant  Wink
Fed Man. You would still need employers liability even if they are part time wouldn't you Huh

Steve Lowe
Oh just one more thing Fedman, why would I not have to have employers liability?

cheers Claire  Smiley
Claire. I have a friend who runs a business the same as what you are proposing and he definitely has to have employer liability insurance because he was only talking to me the other day about it.

Steve Lowe
this is the bit that puzzles me, I spoke to a company the other day who sell cleaning franchises (big well known company), he said that i wouldn't need to have employers liability ins. as technically I wouldn't be the employer, the client would be, and so the liability would be theirs. So I guess in that case I would have to set myself up as some sort of agency Huh, not entirely sure   Undecided ideas anyone ///
Hi Claire,
            Thats why i said to get professional advice because if what that chap was saying was correct why couldn't i employ office cleaners and say the same Huh

Steve Lowe
Hmmmm!
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 25 September 2003
Hi Claire
You would struggle to legitimately have them as self employed particularly if they didnt have any other paid employment. You would have to have them PAYE and have employers liability insurance but I would double check with an accountant to be entirely sure.
If you join the Federation of Small Businesses you would get access to a free legal helpline that could help with it (maybe you get this with the NFMWC? I'm not sure - anyone?)
Regards
Mike
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 25 September 2003
NFMWC..........not heard from them for weeks.
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 26 September 2003
Well there still here Karl and listening.
Claire, I meant Employers NIC not insurance, you will need that as a legal requirement for employing any staff.
Yes the Fed do have a legal assistance arm DAS
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 28 September 2003
Perhaps they would like to answer my emails then?
Beryl said she would get back to me, oh, I think 4 months ago.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.