Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

NEW WINDOW CLEANER
Posted by GRM (GRM), 27 July 2003
HEEEELP!!!
I'VE JUST BOUGHT AN ESTABLISHED WINDOW CLEANING ROUND, BUT HAVE NEVER CLEANED WINDOWS IN MY LIFE. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY HELPFUL, PRACTICAL ADVICE ON ALL ASPECTS, FROM LADDERS, AWKWARD WINDOWS, TO KIT REQUIRED AND THE BEST TECHNIQUES TO USE - ANYTHING AT ALL WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL. CHEERS! Roll Eyes
Posted by Shining_Windows (Shining_Windows), 27 July 2003
Hello welcome to the wonderful world of window cleaning,

Here are some Advice and Setup (info) sites,

www.nfmwgc.com - National Federation of Master Window & General Cleaners (Very Good)

www.iwca.org - International Window Cleaners Assioation (mmm)

www.stopscratchedglass.com - Information & Education to help stop scratched glass (Very Good)

www.window-cleaning-net.com - All About Window Cleaning

www.georgesystems.co.uk - Very Good Window Cleaning Software Free 3 month trial (Try it)-(I am)

Here is my website www.shiningwindows.4t.com
It's Currently Being Updated - come back to see, In a week or two.....
When it is updated take a look at the building site cleaning page, Half way down is a link to the equipment i use...

Open a free Freeservers website (www.freeservers.com) for establishment and get a free email address (just search for free e-mail address) It's professional....

www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk - Very cheap on-line cleaning supplies
(I use them all the time - cheapest scrims around)

www.prioritycleaning.co.uk - A local professional company - Take a look at the customers they have on accounts.... Very interesting for your area.... Milton Keynes is all gone (thats too much work for me, anyway)

It is extremely worth advertising by business cards throung the door, print 4 or 6 business cards on a page of paper and use a guillotine to cut them out (very cheap way of producing business card's and enviro mentally friendly)

I wish you all the best and theres lot's of money to be earnt (£15,000 in the first year)....

Keep in contact....

Matthew Crombie
SHINING WINDOWS    Wink
Posted by mrgoododds (mrgoododds), 15 August 2003
Hi mate!!
bit of good advice is change your squeegie rubber every day as it gives a better quicker clean and saves at least 1 hr a day in time./HOW MANY CLEANS CAN YOU DO IN 1 HR COS THATS HOW MUCH THE CHANGE OF RUBBER BRINGS YOU IN EXTRA. If you get stuck get in touch and I,ll help you I know what its like starting out done it ten yrs now got to the point with hard work I started to employ. Good luck ERIC
Posted by Tonyb (Tonyb), 15 August 2003
Howdee,
How does changing your blade every day save an hour?

Rgds,tony Roll Eyes
Posted by mrgoododds (mrgoododds), 17 September 2003
If you change the rubber daily it will fit the corner of the window and save scrimming the sides ,no wear on new rubber !!!also dont take the water to the edge if you leave an inch from the edges you won,t get runs or drips so its much quicker.I do 25 3 bed houses a day from 8am to 2pm.Take the water into the edges from the middle of the window.ps I find the best cleaning solution to be stardrops all purpose cleaner,leaves a great shine and no streaks.
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 17 September 2003
Unger have a window cleaning techniques video out, where you can see the squeegee techniques, extension poles and more.  Try The Window Clean Centre 0800 413512 or go follow a Pro!
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 17 September 2003
WinkI must say it makes me think and wonder,smoe of the smallest things are big to new window cleaners,I think this is because I ve been doing this for 27 years,good advice from above,talk to people who have been there done it ,and got the tea shirt,happy window cleaning!

most of all be safe!
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 17 September 2003
You have picked a good time to start summer is over the bad weather is on the way , soon it will be dark at 4.30 .But look on the bright side by next summer you will  be cleaning windows that bit faster , wearing shorts ,vest earning 72k per year(like some other window cleaners) things could not get any better.When you price a job dont put a low price in just to get the job ,work out how much you want to earn a hour and use that as a gide.At first you will be a bit slow but with time you will become faster
Take a look at www.wintecs.co.uk for window cleaning tools .You could visit my web site
www.windowcleaner1.co.uk.
You have made a great choice,  Cool

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.