Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Rubber
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 25 September 2003
Now that the cold weather is upon us do you change the rubber that you use Huh,  ie hard in the summer and soft in the winter.  or do you just use the same type all year roundCool
Posted by peterf (peterf), 25 September 2003
I would stick with the soft rubber all year.  Giulio from Pulex told me the hard rubber was developed for hot climates, and there is not much difference between the hard and soft rubber.  He showed me how to spot the difference when you have a hard and a soft rubber, what you do is hang each rubber by the same amount over the edge of a table; the soft rubber will hang down slightly lower than the hard rubber.

I do know from personal experience that more detailing needs to be done with a hard rubber as it doesn’t take the shape of the moulding as good, which means you have more chance of leaving soap down the sides of the glass.

Peter Fogwill

Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 25 September 2003
>what you do is hang each rubber by the same amount over the edge of a table; the soft rubber will hang down slightly lower than the hard rubber.

So that's where you got that from!  Yes I have tried it and it does work.  Thought you were an Ettore man.
At the Fed  trade show was a little jolly man giving pole demos, he suggested cutting your rubber at a angle
 \     / like so, he said that you will not have to detail as much as the rubber gets into the edge better and removes more water , any thoughts Cool
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 25 September 2003
I think Ettore actually do a medium or medium soft grade.
The harder compounds will outlast the softer silicon rubber, but they require greater pressure on the glass. Hard rubber is particularly suited to longer clipless channels and for use in hot weather.
Soft compounds require less pressure on the glass and are therefore easier to work with, but tend to damage more easily. Soft rubber is ideal for pole work and for use on uneven glass.
I bought a Unger Ergo-Tec squeegee  test kit a couple of years ago it had a hard and soft  rubber inside ,I could not tell the difference Cool
Posted by peterf (peterf), 26 September 2003
I only ever used Ettore at one time and used to get them sent from Jersey when they never had any at my local supplier.  My local supplier told me there was no difference between Pulex (they only had Pulex hard rubber at that time) and Ettore, I took him outside and showed him the difference.  Anyway Ettore started having problems with their rubber, some batches were faulty, the rubber is produced doubled with the rounded beaded parts on the outside edges, then they are slit up the middle to produce two separate rubber.  The slitting tool sometimes for some reason develops a wobble which results in narrow parts on the rubber.  This when used cleaning windows causes the solution to come from the back of the rubber onto the glass leaving little soapy lines on the glass. Not a problem if you wipe the rubber after every window but who wants to have to do that.  Ettore in the USA where they came from were not interested, they said they had no problems with their rubber.  I was so sick of throwing away brand new faulty rubber that I then changed to Pulex SOFT and have never used an Ettore rubber since.

It is hard to spot the problem with the naked eye but if you hold them up and look closely along the working edge you will see it.

Majestic

It is much better to cut a little square out the end of the rubber; this is better than the way you were shown.  Push your squeegee into the edge of the glass and look where the rubber is on top of the rubber moulding, now cut that part of rubber away in a square shape so as you are not cutting the whole breadth of the rubber.  Now when you pull your squeegee down the side of the window the old edge of your rubber still stops at the same place but your new working edge stops immediately at the end of the glass where the glass meets the rubber moulding.  You won't leave anything for detailing.

Peter

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 26 September 2003
Even though the local supply here does not stock much at all the only thing he did was pulex rubbers so had to use but never had any problems
Alan

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 26 September 2003
We have always tended to use ettore rubbers as some of the others we have tried dont seem to last as long Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 26 September 2003
Hi steve
Are ettore meant to be harder wearing?
Alan
Hi Alan,
          To be honest we did find that years ago and we have just stuck with them but i would think that most of them now are pretty much the same Huh I change my rubbers now much more often so don't really notice.

Steve Lowe
Posted by AMG (AMG), 26 September 2003

How often do you change your rubbers Steve?

Andy
Hi Andy
          Sometimes i change the rubbers daily sometimes every other day as it saves time with less detailing for the sake of about £1.50. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by simonb (simonb), 26 September 2003
I must be a skinflint cos I use my rubbers for a month or more and then cut them down to use in smaller squeegees!
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 26 September 2003
Simonb, What a skinflint  Grin how can you make a rubber last so long Huh I use a 14 inch for a day next day  put it in a 12 inch  then  cut it for a 6 inch  Cool

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.