General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Dry Steam Cleaners
Posted by supremeclean (supremeclean), 26 March 2004
Undecided Can anyone help with explaining the difference between a DRY steam cleaner and a steam cleaner. I am assuming there will be less water produced by a dry steam cleaner.

I have recently hired what I thought was a dry cleaner from a hire shop, but it appears to be an ordinary steam cleaner? (Much water produced with the steam). Model used: Karcher DE4002.

I would also like to hear from anyone who can recommend a dry steam cleaner for cleaning ovens, mattresses, cars etc. Which is the best model/s for removing grease and burnt on residues from ovens - and if chemicals are necessary how does this work (is there a separate tank in the steamer for chemicals?).

Would it be useful to try one of the smaller domestic appliances first to see what they are capable of?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Janice
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 27 March 2004
Hi Janice, you are right in thinking that dry steam cleaners shoot out less water. I suspect that the Karcher you used was more of a hot water machine.

Duplex are probably the leading steam cleaning equipment distributor in the UK, try this page from their site it should help you.

http://www.duplex-cleaning.com/products/comm_steam/comm_steam.htm

The Jet Vac Major allows for the use of chemicals to be added to the steam line.

DO NOT go for one of the domestic steam cleaners (toys), it will be money wasted and not show just what can be achieved with a proper machine.

If you need to see what the machine can do I am sure that someone from Duplex will come out to demonstrate the machines if you ask them nicely.

Regards

Musicman
Posted by supremeclean (supremeclean), 27 March 2004
SmileyMusicman,
many thank's for your reply - much appreciated.

Janice
Supremeclean
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 28 March 2004
In my most humble opinion there is no such thing as 'dry steam'.

steam is water vapour and when it cools will turn back into water. The term 'dry steam' is simply that the steam comes out at a higher temprature and so drys quicker. I feel it is just a marketing ploy?

for ovens i use TO4 cleaner, heat oven, switch off, spray in the TO4, leave for 20 mins, apply elbow grease(with scourer). works a treat every time.

by the way while we/I are on the subject of ovens has anyone tried soaking the racks in soda crystals and does it work?

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 28 March 2004
Hi Martin, you are of course correct about there being no such thing as dry steam, just as dry solvent is actually a liquid as well.

It is simply terminology rather than a marketing ploy.

Dry steam comes out as a fine mist of water. The interesting thing is that you can spray it onto your skin from just a few inches from the nozzle and it doesn't feel that hot! BUT it does work.

Some people refer to carpet cleaning machines as steam cleaners but while they can operate at fairly high temperatures they would not clean with steam but rather hot water.

Perhaps this is why the need is there to refer to steam as 'dry steam'.

Best regards

MM
Posted by Les (Les), 28 March 2004
Hi Martin,
I've used Soda Crystals  on oven racks and they did work well.
The downside was that you need to soak for several hours to achieve the best results and of course you need something large enough to soak the racks in.
My 'Dry Steamer' sits pretty much redundant these days. It has it's uses but I never found it to be brilliant.
Les Wink
Posted by Keith_Lalanne (Keith_Lalanne), 30 March 2004
Previous posts all give good info regarding "Is steam dry?" The Karcher de4002 has a control to inject super heated water into the steam flow- if this has been selected the machine will spray a mixture of steam and water or all water - Nothing better for removing 'Nasties' from toilet bowls!
Posted by cleanmac (cleanmac), 3 April 2004
give osprey a look ,better spec than dulpex

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.