Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

How often do you change your rubbers?
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 4 January 2004
I was talking to a few window cleaners on Saturday and it got onto the subject of squeegee rubbers (The best ones) and how often we change them. I change my main one every other day to cut down on the tidying up afterwards and one of them said he changes his about once a month Roll Eyes  What do you guys think Huh

Steve
Posted by jonesy5 (jonesy5), 4 January 2004
about every two weeks    wish i was your supplier steve  Cheesy
Posted by Bones (Bones), 4 January 2004
I flip mine over at dinner and then bung a new one in next day (all depending on how much of a beating it got that day) is that too often?? Huh Huh

I don't chuck them tho, i keep them for doing the windows on builders cleans Grin Grin then chuck them because of the chemicals.

Mikey
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 4 January 2004
Every  day,
 I use a 14 inch , then cut it down to a 12 inch to use the next day .
I have found Pulex soft are  the best to use . Cool
Posted by matt (matt), 4 January 2004
must admit, and i will look a cheapskate here, i change mine every few weeks (though saying that i only work a 3 day week)
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 4 January 2004
hi i change mine every 2 or 3 weeks turning it round half way through it is nice to put a new one in after that though but i really think changing them daily is shame as they have a lot more life in them than that Grin Grin Grini iam going to stock up soon and change them weekly
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 5 January 2004
Changed mine every other day, and turned it every other day so that I had a fresh side each day. I found that my windows stayed cleaner longer that way as a sharp edge takes the soapy water off better that a dull one. Also notice how a new rubber glides over the glass, this takes less effort so I get to clean a few more windows per day, more than pays for a new rubber.

Anyway when you can make upwards of £100 per day don't your customers deserve the small investment in a new rubber?

Tom
Posted by denzle (denzle), 5 January 2004
I'm with Bones on this one, I change mine midday and bin it at the end of the day. There is nothing better than starting with a fresh, sharp edge at the beginning of the day. At £1:20 per 36" length thats a mere 40p and when you consider what that 40p is earning you, i figure i can afford it.... call me Mr extravogant.
Denzle
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 5 January 2004
I am glad you guys do the same because i was beginning to think i was the only one. Roll Eyes After fitting a new blade i turn it around at the end of the day and then bin it the next but i think i will start changing completely daily because as Denzle says whats 40p.

Steve
Posted by paul (paul), 5 January 2004
we usally change them daily but if there still giving a perfect finish we use them a bit longer
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 6 January 2004
I`m glad you mentioned this. I used to change the rubber every few days, sometimes longer but now I change it daily and now I can use gg4 with no problems. I went back to fairy but it was a pain and I still had some gg4 left so kept trying it. I`ve said before that sometimes it was great and others awful but I now realise that this was when the rubber started to wear/dull.
I know that an old rubber and fairy(ooh err) can cause problems but gg4 is alot less forgiving.
 It`s worth changing daily for better glide and minimal detailing and the extra money you make is far greater than the cost of a new rubber.
      Gerry.
   ps someone suggested changing my rubber when I first asked about my gg4 troubles but I suppose I was being a stubborn old skinflint  Embarassed

Posted by dirkstar (dirkstar), 7 January 2004
ive been window cleaning 25 years so to all who change rubbers on a daily basis ,send them to me i reckon theres hell of alot of wear left in them i change every 2wks {pulex} and i work mine hard,make sure you just use them on windows not sills. im a tight sod.so give me a price.
Posted by fez (fez), 7 January 2004
I change mine every other day, however I've just bought an Unger 10" S channel and it came with a hard rubber. It has lasted much longer than my usual soft rubbers and I can't tell the difference in either technique or finish.

Anyone here use hard rubber all the time?
Posted by denzle (denzle), 7 January 2004
Not all the time during the colder months, but all the time during the summer or if we run low on soft rubber.
I don't find a tremendous amount of difference personally but my guys swear by it so thats what i buy.
Denzle
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 7 January 2004
Try changing them every day,you`ll notice the difference. Even if you`re tight the rubber will pay for its self and more. Go on go mad  Grin
  You could try cutting the rubber into strips(12" or 14") change daily, but don`t throw away at the end of the day and if you don`t notice any difference you could always use them again and it hasn`t cost you anything.

Denzle,
               Where do you get 36" rubber from for 1.20?

Fez,
                How do you find the 10" squeegee?
         I do a lot of narrow windows and found the 12'' a bit tight, so I cut an old channel down to about 10" and find it`s great and I use this on most windows now.

Cheers,

Gerry.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 7 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 16:25:05, fez wrote:
Anyone here use hard rubber all the time?

Yes, I find they last longer, and I'm surprised you say there is no difference from soft to hard. Most soft users say they have trouble with hard rubbers, especially with GG4. Shocked Are you using GG4?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 7 January 2004
Karlos,

I agree. I had loads of trouble with gg4 but switched to Pulex soft which I change every day and have no problems at all now.
        I can`t believe the fuss about a piece of rubber considering the price ( I`m a hypocrite, I know).
        Don`t think about the cost, just think that you have to do an extra window,maybe two, a day to pay for it.
       With smoother glide and less detailing (and mopping with gg4) you will be doing more than one or two extra windows.

Gerry.
Posted by pw (paul w), 7 January 2004
i change mine 2-3 weeks or when thay split. and have done for last 18 years.but must admit when you put new blade on its a better fill so will try once a week. also must admit i do use a 6' 10' 12' 14' 18inch squeegee as for soft and hard rubbers i remember working with an old boy when i started and i could not get on with soft rubbers so he told me to take a channel clip out .it worked and i still keep one out. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Grin
Posted by Bones (Bones), 7 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 18:30:14, karlosdaze wrote:
Yes, I find they last longer, and I'm surprised you say there is no difference from soft to hard. Most soft users say they have trouble with hard rubbers, especially with GG4. Shocked Are you using GG4?

Since i started i have always used hard rubbers and GG4. Found it a struggle at first but then thought as you guy's were having probs with GG4 i'd stick with it. Glad I did Grin Don't seem to find any problem with GG4 and hard rubbers now.

Mikey
Posted by denzle (denzle), 7 January 2004
Gerry,
I get my rubber from Darren at the Window Clean Centre, just bought 75 x 36" pulex soft rubber for .99p each plus VAT. It was a special offer but he's not that expensive anyway.
If you want his number let me know, he give's  good service too.
Denzle
Posted by simonb (simonb), 7 January 2004
Thought I would actually test the difference so cleaned 4 shops with a fresh rubber that usually take me 35 mins. Took 25 mins. I'm a convert.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 7 January 2004
Hi Simon
            The way i see it is if i can get one more job done a day with the time saved @£10 I am quids in Grin

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 7 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 21:40:41, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Simon
            The way i see it is if i can get one more job done a day with the time saved @£10 I am quids in Grin

Steve

£10.00 X 5 days a week = £50.00

£50.00 X 50 weeks = £2,500   Shocked Grin

Everyone should be converted!!

Mikey  Wink
Posted by matt (matt), 7 January 2004
im once agian going to look a skinflint  Embarassed

i put it too test today, and it didnt make any difference, my rubber is 6 weeks old (bear in mind i only work a 3day week)

we did a 20 quid house in half a hour, me downstairs and my mate upstairs,

i might be doing something wrong, i dunno
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 8 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 21:01:36, Bones wrote:
Since i started i have always used hard rubbers and GG4. Found it a struggle at first but then thought as you guy's were having probs with GG4 i'd stick with it. Glad I did Grin Don't seem to find any problem with GG4 and hard rubbers now.

Mikey

If you switch back to soft now, you won't believe how easier it is. Are you in a hard waer area like me?
I stick to hard, and use GG4, I think we are in the minority Roll Eyes
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 8 January 2004
Need rubbers? see a chemist....

Tom   Grin
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 8 January 2004
Hi Karl
I use soft all year round never have problems with them
better then the hard. I find.
Hows tricks over yr way
Alan
Posted by Bones (Bones), 8 January 2004
on 01/08/04 at 09:24:04, Polepro wrote:
Need rubbers? see a chemist....

Tom   Grin

I don't go to a Chemist for rubbers, just go to the gents loo's  Grin

Mikey

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 8 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 21:04:49, denzle wrote:
Gerry,
I get my rubber from Darren at the Window Clean Centre, just bought 75 x 36" pulex soft rubber for .99p each plus VAT. It was a special offer but he's not that expensive anyway.
If you want his number let me know, he give's  good service too.
Denzle

Thanks Denzle,
       I`ve already got the number somewhere. I`ve been meaning to ring for a catalogue for a while but never got round to it.
      That is cheap though, about half what I normally pay.
   I`ll let you know if I can`t find the number.

Thanks again,

Gerry.

Posted by denzle (denzle), 8 January 2004
The Number is  0800-413512. Even the call is free
Denzle
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 9 January 2004
on 01/08/04 at 16:24:48, shinnyshinner wrote:
Hi Karl
I use soft all year round never have problems with them
better then the hard. I find.
Hows tricks over yr way
Alan

I personally think soft are easier to use, I live in a hard water area, I use hard rubber.
Things aren't going to well, I had sciatica before xmas, & now I've been down graded to someone with arthrosis. Thanks for asking anyway. Off to the osteopath again tomorrow. Embarassed
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 11 January 2004
ettore are the best to use,
use it for a day and a half flip it same again then change it.but its a bugger if you nick it in the first 5 mins Angry

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.