Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Ashbys external Steam mate
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 18 December 2003
There was a post recently about ashbys steam mate where I said that I was very happy with mine. Should have known better, as now it's started blowing fuses. Lips Sealed  Since I do not fancy a trip to Dartford, or having to pack it up and send it, tried to take it apart, and lo and behold it has a security type screw holding it together. Has anybody any idea where I can obtain a key for same ? I'm sure that it's probably a wiring fault, but can't prove it until I can get inside. Also it annoys me that I own a piece of kit, but can't service it myself.  Huh Huh
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 19 December 2003
is it like a star looking allen bolt.

Computer shops do them i think ,

or you can just about misuse a screwdriver pushing down hard.

same thing in xboxes.
Posted by RAINBOW69 (CATMAN), 19 December 2003
DAVE,

You can get a full box of different drives including this one from screwfix for £10.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=16013&id=18983

You will also need to dry everything out, I have done away with red on/off switch as it fills with water, and replace most of the wiring, preferrably with much thicker stuff. If you check the wiring some of it will of split.

Catman.

Ps. I don't know how these machines got onto the market, good idea, just unrealiable.
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 19 December 2003
Dave,

I guessing you're not to happy to say the lease about not serviceing your machine yourself, but just make sure there that you test the machine correctly as you don't want any problems if it's not serviced correct and you're onsite.

I may have just wrote a load of rubbish but best to be safe than sorry.

Hope you get sorted.

Alex
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 19 December 2003
Thanks all for replies, specially catman, the screw looks like a star drive but has a bit sticking up in the middle (so needs a star with a hole in the middle). Looks like there are some in this kit, so have ordered it. will post outcome when fixed (or binned). Cheesy Cheesy
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 19 December 2003
If you have a star drive and it has not got a hole, use a small strong screwdriver to break the pip off.
Maplins have all sorts of goodies and connectors etc.
Trevor
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 19 December 2003
My internal one was blowing trip switches. It turned out to be damp as I was keeping equipment in a cold place.

Try keeping it inside over the weekend, if you dont do so already.

Regards

Ian
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 19 December 2003
I,v binned my steam mate with same problem, damp inside due to leaks.
Ashbys told me heat exchanger and heater welded together and they charged me £25 to look at it Shocked as I declined the repair!  

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.