Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

hiding Cigarette burns
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 4 January 2004
Hi  have been playing around , in a quiet moment Roll Eyes

How do you chaps fix for example a five pence size cigarette burn.

I got a hot glue gun from woolworths for 2.99 with four sticks of bostick glue.

I have been filling up the majority of the void with the hot glue then dropping on shavings from the edge of the carpet , it seems to work really well.

I have tried recleaning the area once it is set and it seems to be pretty tuff even with hwe i suppose if it goes too hot it will suck up the plug but it does seem to work.

Any better ways gentleman Undecided Undecided

All the best

Alex
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 4 January 2004
Alex,

I think that is called camouflage  Cheesy

The correct method - retufting - is a little more involved. The exact methodoligy varies for different constructions of carpet but the end result should be an invisible repair.

Look out for one of the courses on offer.

John.

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 4 January 2004
Ah yes camouflage indeed  Grin i was careful not use the term repair in my earlier post.

Could be a nice surprise for a Truck mount chap if the customer is disaloyal and books another cleaner.This will only be because i am fully booked till 2006 of course.

If i can get my dates sorted i plan to try and go on the alltec repair course. £75.00 quid is no money for that training in my opinion.

Just hope they dont say , what you wanna do is go to woolworths.............. Grin Grin
Posted by paul_moss (paul_moss), 4 January 2004
Alex I like the reply

John Where can I book myself onto a retufting course

Paul
Posted by paul_moss (paul_moss), 4 January 2004
Oh I forgot to say I am fully booked till 2008 except for a couple of days in March 2006

Paul
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 4 January 2004
Paul,

I think Alex just answered that one !

Don't know the scheduals after 2008 though  Grin

Alex,

No sarcasm intended with the camouflage comment. And yes, £75.00 is not a lot to not only learn a new skill but in doing so improve your general understanding of carpet construction.

John.

Posted by woodman (woodman), 5 January 2004
Hi Alex

It's retuft all the way unless synthetic pile melted down to backing.In this case its it's a glue and plug using glue gun.

Loop pile carpets take a little more practice but in nearly all cases cig burns are repairable.

Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 5 January 2004
Howdee!
I also am looking to go on the Alltec Course's
9th March 1 day Spot and Stain School £75
10th March 1 day Carpet repair School £75
D'ya rekon they'll be any gud?
(book both together £140)
Rgds
Tony
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 5 January 2004
yep thats the ones i had in mind.

I have heard they are excellent trainers a chap called paul pearce i think
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 5 January 2004
Alex

Paul Pearce is a good old boy. He took the IICRC Upholstery Course b4 xmas.

Might see you there

Mark

Posted by leerob695 (leerob695), 5 January 2004
does any one know if the carpet repair course at altec is an iicrc course and will there be an exam to follow?
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 5 January 2004
It says on the flyer that you get two credits Huh

dont know what they are , it sounds to me a bit like miosh where you have to get a credit or two each year to show you are keeping up to date.

Not sure though really
Posted by Martin_Riley (Martin_Riley), 5 January 2004
As far as I am aware the carpet repair and advanced spot and stain removal courses at Alltec will not count as an IICRC qualification. You will get credits however if you already hold the relevant certificates. Paul Pearce will be taking the advanced spot and stain course. Can't remembr the name of the other guy, but I've heard that both courses are very good. I will be attending both courses so look forward to meeting any other forum members there. Smiley Smiley

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.