General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Minimum Wage Inspection
Posted by petra (petra), 19 March 2004
hi all
Yes the revenue are visiting me, have any of u had one of these inspection, can u tell me what to expect?

Petra

Posted by pre-vac_Nick (HolmansUKLTD), 19 March 2004
be afraid be very afraid Wink
Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 19 March 2004
Been there, done it.

Just ensure that all employees have contracts which state the hours they work for the money offered and that it is on on or over the minimum wage. They employee should have a copy and you should hold a second signed one. If you pay hourly that is about it. They will ask for copies of payslips too. Also ensure that P45/46's are in place for each.

If you pay by the job there should be a 'fair estimate' clause that says that they agree that the money offered for the time allowed is fair. The clause should have its own signature box. IE Pay £9 for a job between approximately 8-10 am and I agree that this is a fair estimate of how long the job takes to complete.

Any more questions, please feel free to pm me.
Posted by Fox (Fox), 20 March 2004
Hi Petra

Good to have you back - think I can talk for everyone when I say we missed you!

I shouldn't worry too much on this subject the tax office are not ogers, people think they are! If you have been doing things properly then you haven't got a prob.

You DO NOT have to have signed contracts stating what you pay, all's the tax office is interested in is that you are not paying under min wage and keeping up with your PAYE.  As long as you have P46/45 as stated by happyeater then all's ok.  

I will tell you though the main reason why this happens is giving out to many temp NI numbers so make sure your employees are part of the EU before allocating jobs.

Just don't worry - they are there to do a job and they can help too.
Posted by petra (petra), 20 March 2004
Cheer for thats guys...after all that happend to me latley ( just lost my brother in law) and the divorce saga (he now trying to bleed me dry) all I needed was the revenue to finish me off.

Petra
PS missed u all 2
Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 21 March 2004
This may help.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/gtmw.pdf

Good luck.
Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 21 March 2004
Hi Petra

Just doing their jobs

Had an inspection late last year, its nothing to worry about, if you are asked about a particular employees working time and wage and your not sure just say so then check and advise at a later date, they tend to go back a fair way so your not expected to rememebr every thing as long as you can show when you answer some kind of paper chain.

Best regards Nick
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 21 March 2004
The Revenue read this board!!!
Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 22 March 2004
Only people that should worry are those with something to hide. The IR must really love me, they should be, you have to see the size of the cheques they get from our business!  Shocked
Posted by DomesticAgency (DomesticAgency), 22 March 2004
Petra,

may I ask how the nasty IR contacted you
regarding the inspection??

Did they send a letterHuh

I was under the impression that they carried
out dawn raids and unanounced lol.

We looking to go VAT  registered in a few months
now that should be fun!!

Regards
Posted by petra (petra), 22 March 2004
They were kind enough to sent a letter, but have be told vat reg companies, do get regular inspections.
Petra
Posted by DomesticAgency (DomesticAgency), 23 March 2004

Thanks Petra,

hope it all goes well
Posted by petra (petra), 29 March 2004
just had it delayed till 16th april, due to death of a family member. so they are human.
petra

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.