Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cleaning headboards
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 12 October 2003
Just wondered if any budding upholstery cleaners have any experience in cleaning headboards  Huh

I have been asked by a client to clean only trouble is I've been unable to identify the fabric. The headboard is of velvet effect, though isn't true velvet. I have done dye bleed tests and distortion tests which both passed but there is heavy body/hair grease patches that need cleaning.
On upholstery I have great success using Prochem's Enzyme prespray to remove grease and then rinsing with my trusty old steameasy 400.

Any other suggestions?

Paul  Undecided

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
I've done one before but it was just a dralon-type material, I'd just treat a headboard like a piece of upholstery.

I did my own headboard last month and it went ok but I had trouble getting the rust marks out where the handcuffs hung down Wink

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi Paul

I have been asked to clean headboards a few times over the years with the grease problem. Most as Mike says are Acrylic pile (Dralon) and are therefore OK to wet clean. I have used Prochem's Fabric Restorer with good results.

Be careful with the cotton prints and other flatweave fabrics at the grease contamination can cause a severe weakening of the fibres... cleaning them in this condition will just about see them off.

Good luck
Derek
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 13 October 2003
I clean alot of headboards, although not many dralon ones. I found them much easier once I was using some kind of enclosed jet upholstery tool. e.g. CFR, PMF, The difference is that you don't get any over-spray/spill which happens because the fabric is tightly upholstered. Also you can go over the grease area several times without over-wetting and at very high heat.

Otherwise just clean as normal upholstery (with the usual precautions)

Nigel
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 13 October 2003
Thanks for your comments guys.

I normally use fabric restorer when I clean upholstery so I'll give it a go with the  headboard.
I do recommend people trying the enzyme prespray on upholstery grease spots, especially hair laquer. I have had great results with the right agitation etc.

Paul

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.