Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Leather Look Upholstery
Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 12 January 2004
Hi folks,

Has anyone come across fabric upholstery - suede effect - very
short pile - always seems to be brown colour

It has a sort of grained leather effect - a recent client called it
Buffalo Hide effect.     I have seen 3 or 4 in last few months &
turned the jobs down, suggesting that they will need to be
dry-cleaned.   I don't do dry-cleaning any more.

Is it possible to water clean them, either by hand or HWE, or
will they stiffen up & go yuk !

Any advice appreciated.

Bryan
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 12 January 2004
Came across a fabric some time ago, as you describe. I rang Kingcomes of Fulham who made it and it turned out to be Alcantara. Totally wet cleanable  Shocked even though it felt and looked like fine suede. Best to try the makers before experimenting Wink
Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 12 January 2004
One method I use is to apply One-Step or equivalent diluted 4-1 by trigger sprayer. lightly scrub with medium brush and then towel off. seems to work ok.

Regards

Glynn
Posted by lee_gundry (lee_gundry), 12 January 2004
done lots.

as glynn said apply  solutions 2 ,aggitate  then i use my cfr hand tool open the vac slots & clean.

some of this fabric can peel of the backing if to much aggitation is used,through genral wear,using water based cleaners,using solvent based cleaners.this sounds as if they are a bit of a problem, but i have cleaned hundreds ,test them first,

ps
when they have been cleaned using a hand tool they will feel like a wet fish,this is only surface dampness & will dry quickly.

DO NOT OVER AGGITATE
TOWEL AFTER CLEANING

Lee Gundry
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 January 2004
I've cleaned loads of these suites with no problem at all. Like Lee said it looks horendous when wet then looks fine when dry.

I've always understood thats it a sandwich of 2 fabric the soft top layer and a stronger base fabric. these 2 fabrics are glued together, so can separate and bubble up when inaprapriately cleaned.

Mike
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 12 January 2004
Mike,

How right you are about the delamination !

I came across one last year which had blistered baldly after a plate of hot take-away had been placed on the seat whilst video recorder was being loaded - so a cautionary note about heat is indicated.

John.
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 12 January 2004
There are two types of this material one can be wet cleaned (more expensive ) the other does not like water if overwet delamination occurs i only clean this type of material using dry foam.SCS only recommend that safeclean can clean this type of material Roll Eyes
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 12 January 2004
Have come across this type also, fortunately had a label which said wet cleanable, call servicemaster. Wet cleaned and came up great. Only problem was hand prints when you move it about whilst still damp. So had to towel after moving.  Grin
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 13 January 2004
Do not dry clean this fabric.

Any solvent will cause the fabric to peel off.

Simply HWE as normal but towel off to remove as much moisture and turbo dry.

Do not agitate too much as this will also cause the fabric to peel.

Mark

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 13 January 2004
Although I have yet to come across it myself, Derek Bolton has reported that there are new generations of flocked fabrics which are DRY CLEAN ONLY. Beware.
Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 13 January 2004
Thanks for your info' guys

All your tips have been duly noted, & will be acted upon.   Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.