Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

starting off 2!
Posted by mark2 (mark2), 29 January 2004
realistically how much money do you need to start and what would this cover?
where is the cheapest place to get a loan?
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 30 January 2004
If carpet cleaning is going to be your only business I would think twice about getting a loan or leasing unless you are a marketing expert.

I will leave it to others to advise you how much you need
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 30 January 2004
Personally I would not borrow money to start a carpet cleaning business.
But if you feel you have to ,buy decent second hand equipment (there is enough about)because if you then decide that carpet cleaning is not for you you are more likely to get your money back.
Do some research in your area ,decide if it would be viable?,are there other CC in the area? ,will you get enough work to survive? etc etc.
My personal opinion is it is better to do CC part time to start off with and earn a basic living elsewhere untill you are busy enough that it can sustain your livestyle.

Good luck

Mark
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 30 January 2004
extractor
2 blowers
rotory
£100 of chemicals
vac
2 buckets
2lt & 8 lt sprayer

cost second hand £2000.

40,000 leaflets printed & delivered £600

training, carpet & upholstery cleaning IICRC £190(I think) with Alltec

You could get started with £3,000. The best place to get a loan is off your parents Wink

or use your credit card

mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 30 January 2004
Hi

You need a vehicle to carry that lot around in too

Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 30 January 2004
Research thoroughly first,

Get the publications, read up on the internet.

Go to a couple of open days  Alltec,Prochem etc doesn't really matter which,  but don't buy anything on impulse, as they will try to sell to you.

If you look on the equipment for sale section on here you can pick up everything you need, even new machinery (including a few Ninja's) that other cleaners have bought only to find it's not for them.

Being realistic you will need about £4-5k if buying 2nd hand plus a vehicle, another couple of grand for a decent runner.Also and most importantly, you will need to market the business and this costs Shocked

There is plenty of help from bank small business advice centres.

Have a look on www.startups.co.uk you will get some good advice on there including finance.

Good Luck
I've been helping a local bloke set up a carpet cleaning company over the  last few weeks, he's now ready to go and i don't think he's spent £1500,

he's got a bane machine, a couple of blowers, a twin motor vac, 2 wands, 3 hand tools, a stainless steel 10lt sprayer' 5lts of One-step & 10,000 full colour leaflets (all he needs is a van)

and he's been trained by one of the best carpet cleaners in England Grin

Mike
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 30 January 2004
Did you send him to Sheffield Shaun for his training, MikeHuh??
Posted by gwrightson (gwrightson), 30 January 2004
i might have to spend a little more yet mike,
desperate for a water heater , i think !!!!!
sure to make a lot of difference and i do want to be
as competant as you , well as you said you are the best
around  Grin Grin
and my first job well that was a loser
missus had me doing the whole house  
for nothinglol
and no complaints either   , a good start cant be  many worse then her for been particular
but yes agree  a little time researching, buying from the right people, and alot of time and help from the right person and hey presto  
    its in your own hands to get the buisness,so yes  a limited budget  , no worries no need to spend 10 to £15000  
geoff
Geoff, the more i think about it, you need an extra 50 ft of 2inch hose.

if i was you I'd start asking around (or ask on these boards ) to try and find some more. the last thing you want to be doing is lifting that Bane into customers house, you'll give yourself an hernia Shocked

hows the van hunting going? make sure you have the head-room to be able to fill your machine Wink

mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.