Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

My first Car clean Sunday.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 17 December 2003
Hi sorry to be cheeky but as i have all the best cleaning brains out thier for the picking i thought i would doublecheck my plans if you are willing to comment.

I have a Micra to clean a bit scruffy but is a xmas present for the chaps wife.

On the seats  head rests my plan is to use:

B108 fabric restorer with a small pump sprayer agitate using brush.

Then fill my Robin with B109 fibre and fabric rinse and extract .

Wipe off all the upholsterery with a clean towle and set the heating to warm on the car full blowers with the windows a few inches open to dry .

Can i get away with doing the car carpets in this manner also or i thought i could use one clean traffic lane cleaner then extract with B109 also

I would try to run it all with cold solutions to see if possible as this means i could just keep the robin and presprays in my saloon for Car cleaning jobs.

Cheers Merry Xmas to you all

Alex

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 18 December 2003
Alex

I promise you that this will the FIRST and LAST car you clean !!!!

They are  a butt ache.

Yes thats fine how you are doing it, but inform customer it will take an age to dry.

I cleaned my car in the summer. left all windows open with blower in there also.

The problem with car seats is they hold loads of muck and it just keeps coming out and out.

Your best bet with the seats is to "bonnet" them.

Pre spray with something like one step scrub in and then towel off.

You are taking off the stains and the muck on the surface of the seats but not dragging all the k rap out with your extracta.

I cleaned my girlfriends seats like this a while ago and they looked just as good as when i extracted mine.

Also hows your foot!!  cos doing cars you will need to be a contortionist (sp) hahahhaha

Regarding the carpets I would vac the hell out of them and once again try just pe spraying and towelling as once again they will  be full of muck and you will be there all day with your extraction machine.

Cheers

Mark

PS

I would also include a bit of oxybrite in the pre spray or tank if you are xtracting. This will brighten the colours up a bit and give a more pleasing "clean" appearance.

Cheers

Mark

Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 18 December 2003
AGREE about difficulty of the job Undecided Process you describe will work but......... getting under seats and by handbrake Cry Over spray on windows Cry Watermarks on vinyl Cry Drying time Cry and at the end.......could you do inside the boot please Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Lips Sealed
Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 18 December 2003
Hi Alex

This is where you would  find a low moisture hand tool would come in very handy to prevent overspray getting all over the car. Watch out for the electrics as well with overspray as water and electrics or computer systems within cars don't mix to well.

I agree Mark and Strakercleaning that they are a pain in the butt, theres easier ways to make a living!!! I steer well clear of cleaning cars.

Regards

Robert Olifent
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 18 December 2003
So,

Basically Alex,

DONT DO IT !!!!    Huh Huh

RUN!!!!!!  or Limp in your case  Grin Grin

Mark

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 18 December 2003
Thanks gents

Oh dear  Shocked looks like i have dropped myself in it here.

I was looking forward to it , but i am not so sure now , happy that at least you agree with what i was going to do , slowly learning.

Perhaps i will try just towling as mr betts suggests.

Sad Sad Sad Sad
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 18 December 2003
Alex,

Just in case the other posters have not upset you enough, have you seen the weather forcast for the next few days?

Oh the joy of contorting the body into the most un-natural spirals to get under seats etc. whilst your backside is out in the rain - and  the joy of trying to extract water quicker than it is being replaced by the heavens  Roll Eyes

One thing not listed with your other kit is a very large (car-sized) tent.

Enjoy the experience - what does not kill you makes you stronger.

John.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 18 December 2003
Grin

Oh goodness , what am i gonna do to get out of this clean.

HuhAnyone know any good camping shops. Huh  Grin

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 18 December 2003
Dont know what your charging but I used to quote £ 90 - £ 110 for a full valet. At least if they go for it its nearly worthwhile. Takes between 3 to 4 hours inside and out inc headlining. used to use my ninja with upholstery tool, but after a few times booking and having to cancel because of weather I took any reference to car valeting of my van and business cards. like the others said prepare them for a two day wait for it to dry. Basically NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 19 December 2003
Break the other ankle Alex, that might get you out of it!!!  Shocked Cry Wink Grin

Regards

Robert
Posted by Fox (Fox), 19 December 2003
Ahhh - poor Alex, you lot are scaring him to death!

You might actually enjoy it mate.

Other thing to do is to tell client that you need to take it away and get someone else to do it!!!

Go for it - great for stretching the old muscles and no gym costs.

Think positive! Cheesy
Posted by Fox (Fox), 19 December 2003
He he - easy for me to say - I'm not doing it! Grin
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 19 December 2003
hi

i do car interiors from time to time . i just spray one step brush and towel off

steve
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 19 December 2003
Dont use too much water on the inside as there are all kinds of electonic kismos on the floor such as seat belt alerts, air bag alerts etc which could short.

Regards

Ian

There are people out their cleaning cars and making a good living everyday.

I believe un til you get enough work like Mark and co you should try all avenues of cleaning and any other related business activity that comes your way.

Regards

Ian
Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 19 December 2003
Here are all of us looking negatively at car valeting, but I recall getting involved in far nastier jobs than that.

Cleaning excrement off wall, Head inside greased up cookers, Neck ache from Ceiling tile cleaning, sewage flooding, Trauma blood scene, and car valeting. In the early days you take what work comes your way, it is only when you get more established that you can become more choosey what you take on.

Best of luck to you Alex

Regards

Robert
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 20 December 2003
Hi Guys

Some thirty years ago part of our business was car valeting... we covered almost all the garages in Leicester and employed twelve full time car cleaners and several part timers.
Occasionally I had to 'do my bit' but in those days most of the seats were vinyl with just a smattering of upholstered seating.

I remember one day my back locked whilst contorted within the vehicle try to clean the carpets. I had to call for help to get me out....painful

Have fun Alex

Regards
Derek
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 20 December 2003
Thanks for all the advice chaps. Cheesy

I really hope i dont have to do this now. Perhaps he'll cancel at the last  moment.

Cross your fingers for me boys.

Alex

Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 21 December 2003
Derek,
Around 12 years ago I opened a carpet cleaning plant in leyland, mainly to do take up flood drying/cleaning work of carpets and suites etc and it was our hq. To maximise the building potential we dld car valeting a few lads you know, anyway one day one of my regular carpet cleaning clients dropped of his almost new Mercedes for a full valet, when I returned, one of the las was just "dressing" up this car and he picked up (by mistake) Engine Laquer instead if the usual Silicone spray - all over the dash, swithches etc it went !, customer is pulling up on forecourt -- what a mess...

Regards

Glynn.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 21 December 2003
Hi Chaps

It went quite well in the end customer seemed very happy, I had a quick practice on my own motor before i went out and was pretty happy with the spray on and extract.

B108 fabric restorer with a small pump sprayer agitate using brush.

Then filled my Robin with B109 fibre and fabric rinse and extracted .

One thourght crossed my mind what will hapen if I missed any of the fabric restorer when the odd overspray at a seam happened  Roll Eyeswill it damage the seats  Roll Eyes. i did my best to rinse well with B109 all areas.

Still a bit nervous about working on strangers stuff. Huh

Thanks gents

Alex

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 21 December 2003
ps Just Ph'd my prespray diluted comes out about 7.

My rinse comes out about 5.

Cheers

Alex

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 21 December 2003
Hi Glynn

When working around garages for some time don't you get to see some shoddy tricks operated by sections of the motor trade?

One instance was a brand new MG Midget which had obviously been parked in a field for some considerable time. The Pre-delivery mechanic drew the attention of the sales manager to the condition of the underside of the vehicle which were heavily corroded especially the break pipes.

"Never mind" he said "spray it with underseal" this was duly done.
The underseal treatment was a topical 'protective' corrosion treatment at the time which earned a considerable amount of extra revenue for the garage...it also sealed 'in' corrosion which didn't actually do it much good.... it was designed to keep the corrosion out!

I could tell you tales so much so that you would never want buy a vehicle again

Derek
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 21 December 2003
Alex..............................Hope it went well and that you have finished now Cheesy
ps. TOLD YA Shocked

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.