Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Curtain Cleaning
Posted by Les (Les), 25 January 2004
I get asked about Cleaning curtains in situ.
Do any of you folks offer this service?
What method?
And is it profitable ?
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 25 January 2004
Smiley
Hi Les

Been there tried it, never a great result. I don’t get involved with curtains cleaning any more, recommend they take then too dry cleaners point out the risk shrinkage, they looked baffled, it still wet cleaning.

Len

Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 25 January 2004
I think from a technical perspective Mr.B or Steve Carpenter are the people to answer this, but from a profitability angle it is as profitable as you want it to be!

You charges should relate to the service you are offering, the costs you incur and the convinience of not taking the damn things down and having to wait 3 days for them to come back 3" shorter from the cleaners!!

Shaun
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 25 January 2004
Les,

Yesterday, on another forum in answer to a question about the best curtain cleaning equipment, I wrote:

I have an Ultimate PB3, a water/hot solvent machine, which is probably the best extractor for curtain cleaning.

However, haveing spent AFAIR £2500 on the technical masterpiece, it has remained in the storeroom for the past 5yrs. since:

a] Van-space is at a premium.
b] I just do not like cleaning curtains, so rarely do.
c] I have developed alternative techiques which work well with the HWE machine that lives on the van.

There is money to be made out of curtain cleaning but fibre & dye identification is more critical than on upholstery, which, combined with the effects of high exposure to UV put the risk factor up a few notches. Add to this problems associated with badly constructed swags and tails, pleated pelmet-pieces held together with dress-making pins which fall appart when touched, let alone cleaned and you have the potential for a lot of wasted time and irritation.

John.

PS. I don't like cleaning %&!!$ curtains

As Shaun wrote the profitability Is under your control.

John.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 25 January 2004
I am in talks with my local dry cleaner to do a deal , don't know if it will work.

I'll offer off site curtain cleaning and get him to do them in the evening , he only lives 1/4 mile from me .

he will clean them at trade price, i keep the markup and he recommends me and allows my flyers in the shop.

who knows if it will work , anyone else do this sort of thing.

Alex
Posted by lee_gundry (lee_gundry), 25 January 2004
just finished cleaning 40 holiday cottages all the curtains in each cottage had to be dry cleaned,i use extracta solvent machine.

yes it is very profitable,

Lee
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 25 January 2004
ooh that does sound rather good , may i ask your average price?
Posted by woodman (woodman), 26 January 2004
I do a lot of curtain cleaning and find it fairly easy work and profitable infact I would rather do curtains than suites.

I do not use a machine I clean by hand and very rarely have any problems so long as the customers understand the limitations everythings fine Wink.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 26 January 2004
Some advice for people like Alex considering curtain cleaning. If you take them down and deliver to the dry cleaners, if there is a problem who's responsible? A good example is the earlier mentioned shrinkage problem with plant dry cleaning (the system has water in it). You could end up being responsible for someone elses problem. So inspect very carefully, and qualify.
Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Les (Les), 26 January 2004
A good mixed bag of replies to my original question. On balance I think I'll pass and keep looking for other profit making opportunities.
Thanks anyway Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.