Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

WFP????
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 24 January 2004
USING A WFP,How do you no if its cleaning properly,if your on the ground and the window is 25ft up.what about detailing and bird crap,explain please Huh Huh Huh Huh
Posted by peterf (peterf), 24 January 2004
You can see the bird dirt quite easily at 25 feet and even quite a lot higher.  You treat it in the same was as you would if you were squeegeeing the window, wet it, let it soak in for a minute or two, and go back to it again.  You also have the advantage of brush bristles instead of a soft pile on an applicator, so it is much easier to clean.  

Sometimes if the bird dirt is baked on and is really stubborn, you may find that the particular window will take as long as it would take to do a clean window with a ladder and a squeegee.  You are still safer though, and you will still save time on all the windows that don't have stubborn bird dirt on it.

You don't detail with a water fed pole, there is no need

Peter

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 24 January 2004
Hi Mark,

Peter's too much of a gentleman to publicly tout his own BB on someone else's board, so I'm telling you to get on over to  http://www.window-tools.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl  where you'll find out lots more about WFPs.

Am I right in thinking you're in Central Scotland? You can pop along to sunny Broxburn-by-the-Bing and give Peter a visit to see what it's all about.

All the best - Davie
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 25 January 2004

on 01/24/04 at 17:28:46, peterf wrote:
You can see the bird dirt quite easily at 25 feet and even quite a lot higher.  You treat it in the same was as you would if you were squeegeeing the window, wet it, let it soak in for a minute or two, and go back to it again.  You also have the advantage of brush bristles instead of a soft pile on an applicator, so it is much easier to clean.  

Sometimes if the bird dirt is baked on and is really stubborn, you may find that the particular window will take as long as it would take to do a clean window with a ladder and a squeegee.  You are still safer though, and you will still save time on all the windows that don't have stubborn bird dirt on it.

You don't detail with a water fed pole, there is no need

Peter

Peter,
    Regarding squeegeeing- don`t you,or used to, squeegee off immediately after wetting the window?
If not what are the advantages?
   I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and apologise if I have.

Gerry.

Posted by peterf (peterf), 25 January 2004
When I said to leave it a minute or two I was referring to the birds dirt.  The longer you let it soak the easier it will come off.

Peter
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 26 January 2004
To clean bird muck you simply soak the area and leave it. You then move on to the next window and clean that then go back to the one with bird muck,by which time it will have started to emulsify and may have started to slide down the glass. You simply wash it as normal and hey presto the bird muck will have gone. Grin

Better than growing your thumb nails to use on bird muck like one old window cleaner I worked with in the 1970s Huh

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.