Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Remote Control for trolley systems
Posted by L.Doubtfire (L.Doubtfire), 11 January 2004
With reference to trolley systems using pure water to clean window glass has anyone
installed their own remote control thats operated by a key fob.As I understand it what
you need is just a normal `bog standard` car alarm with a trembler,plus relay in your pump.
A local excellent car electritions say its a very dificult procedure and would cost around
£200.Jeff Brimble has helped out on many things but cant reccomend any brand makes for
me to pursue.All replies much appreciated.

Lewis Doubtfire,Gleem Clean Window Cleaners,West Yorkshire.

Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 11 January 2004
As I understand, Peter's trolley system has a radio operated remote control

www.window-tools.com

Silly
Posted by peterf (peterf), 11 January 2004
Lewis, I have one at £45.00, it has a 10amp relay fitted, nothing extra needed.

Peter

Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 11 January 2004
Lewis
if you use a 12V water pump, as used by all the major manufacturers, they have a built in pressure switch. If you install a B&Q supplied hozelock tap @ approx £3.99 or if you want chromed brass, we have them cheap too.
The tap located on your pole hose will thus automatically shut off the pump when you decide, remotely.
Advantages over dink/dink remote of inline tap;
No batteries, works when wet, cant lose it, etc. etc.
 Might sound a bit obvious, but we were approached by 3 operators last year with the same idea.
 Reliability and robustness in all weathers should always be paramount in selecting equipment, so before you part with £45, nip to B&Q with less than a fiver and try a tap first.!
More Unbiased and honest advice from the Industry experts, courtesy of our sponsor,
Express Cleaning Supplies,
The U.K's No.1 for Value & Service.
Dom  
Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 11 January 2004
Lewis
       I agree wilt dom on this one keep it simple let the pressure switch do the work    but the unbiased part is steching it a bit far!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                      

cheers dom

regards andrew
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 11 January 2004
I have to agree with Dom , but he still has to have a go; Grin Cool
on 01/11/04 at 19:26:17, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Lewis
if you use a 12V water pump, as used by all the major manufacturers, they have a built in pressure switch. If you install a B&Q supplied hozelock tap @ approx £3.99 or if you want chromed brass, we have them cheap too.
The tap located on your pole hose will thus automatically shut off the pump when you decide, remotely.
Advantages over dink/dink remote of inline tap;
No batteries, works when wet, cant lose it, etc. etc.
 Might sound a bit obvious, but we were approached by 3 operators last year with the same idea.
 Reliability and robustness in all weathers should always be paramount in selecting equipment, so before you part with £45, nip to B&Q with less than a fiver and try a tap first.!
More Unbiased and honest advice from the Industry experts, courtesy of our sponsor,
Dom  

Dom, You wouldn’t be expected to understand the benefits of the remote control on a trolley system as you are not a window cleaner yourself, and have never used one, or have you?

I have used trolley systems both ways, and I know what is best.  I have also sold more than 60 trolley systems in the last 9 months, and I know what my customers prefer, do you know what your customers prefer?

The remote control is the same one as you would find to open a garage door remotely, but what is the point in having one of them when you can open the door with a handle and pull the door open by hand, and what is the point in using the remote control to open your car when approaching it, if you can stick the key in the hole and turn it, then pull the handle?? In fact what is the point in having a garage when you can just leave the car outside?

You will notice that at the end of a couple of sentences in this message there is some of these signs? this is a question mark and it means I am asking you a question, and if you have an answer you are supposed to reply to the question.  I thought I would tell you this, as you seemed to have ignored every other question I have asked you in the past.

Peter

I didnt expect you to know how to answer any of it.  Why not just say you cant discuss it for legal reasons?

Peter

Just for Peter

"Est modus in rebus"

Dom
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 11 January 2004
Game set match to Peterf.
Alan
Hi Dom
Dont start on me just because you cant get one over on peterf.
Alan
Hi Alan,
remind me not to go to a pub in your part of the world if you think my reply is "starting", I'd be afraid to complain if the lager was warm...!
Dom
Sorry cut of short.
With you selling your company over this forum you most defiantly don’t paint a good impression of your self to me; I don’t think it is right that you constantly slag off your opposition. To me you come over very insecure or very full of your self.
If it is a way to earn brownie points it is not a nice way to put your self across,
Sorry
Alan

At the end of the day we are all just trying to earn a living , if you cant post anything without slagging someone off dont bother  Cool
Hi Alan,
please read my first reply on this thread again. Good technical advice endorsed by 2 other experienced operators, particularly APS who I know worked for many years as a technical manager with Tasker, a large cleaning company in the N.W. operating several mobile, commercial window cleaning platforms. Industry people.
 Where do I slag off the competition in my reply?, I've read it again and I simply dont understand how you are reading it..!
  However study Peterf replys, he's the one having a go, trying to get personal, "I would'nt know how to etc etc." I think if you are looking for insecurities, you are looking in the wrong direction....!
Keepin it real as always,
Dom  
Hi majestic
I totally agree.
Alan
on 01/11/04 at 21:24:29, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Just for Peter

"Est modus in rebus"

Dom

For anyone wondering what the above means it is "There is a middle course in all things"

You can speak English if you like Dom; there are not too many Latin speaking people on here.

Peter

Hi Dom
To me a lot of the posts you put on this forum are aimed at individuals in around about way. Where people have to constantly defend themselves.
Or am I wrong.
Alan

Majestic/Alan, Gentlemen,
read the thread carefully again, then read your posts. you are painting everyone with the same brush, which will discourage any other people who want to volunteer technical information, as the approach you have both adopted appears to be that any technical advice that does not fit in with any particular manufacturers aspirations is slagging the competition off.
 99% of pole operators do not use electronic remote control gadgets as offered on this site by Peterf for £45. My advice is simply try a cheap tap for £3.99 from B&Q as it will do the same job as a £45 gadget. Now if that is slagging off PeterF, or informing those who are not in the know, what the industry norm is, then I'll stand by my statement and let any readers decide for themselves if I'm offering good advice
Dom

Dom
If you read one of my posts I agreed with you  CoolI think you try to hard not every one has a sense of humor like yours  Grin Cool
Posted by Bones (Bones), 11 January 2004
Hear we go again,........ Roll Eyes

Dom-D-Dom-Dom-Dom!

Grin Wink

Hi Alan,
remind me not to go to a pub in your part of the world if you think my reply is "starting", I'd be afraid to complain if the lager was warm...!
Dom

Lets hope you dont either
Alan
Posted by Bones (Bones), 11 January 2004
I think i going to bring a full size wrestling ring to the FED show, could make a few £'s

Grin

hi bones
Nightmare.
Alan
on 01/11/04 at 22:38:57, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
read the thread carefully again, then read your posts. you are painting everyone with the same brush, which will discourage any other people who want to volunteer technical information, as the approach you have both adopted appears to be that any technical advice that does not fit in with any particular manufacturers aspirations is slagging the competition off.
 99% of pole operators do not use electronic remote control gadgets as offered on this site by Peterf for £45. My advice is simply try a cheap tap for £3.99 from B&Q as it will do the same job as a £45 gadget. Now if that is slagging off PeterF, or informing those who are not in the know, what the industry norm is, then I'll stand by my statement and let any readers decide for themselves if I'm offering good advice
Dom

What you offered in the first place was irrelevant to the question asked, read the original question from Lewis, he wasnt asking what a real industrial chemist puts on his trolley system, he was asking if anyone had installed a remote control on their system, and then went on to ask if anyone could recommend any brand for him to pursue, I told him about mine. He had obviously worked out for himself that there would be some kind of advantage, If I hadnt replied you wouldnt have bothered with your little rant.  

The only reason you volunteered your information was to try and belittle me for offering him a remote control at £45.00.  Why else would you offer information? Certainly not for the good of anyone else on this board, you don't work like that, anyone with half a brain has worked that one out.

And to put the record straight I dont use the remote control on van systems for reasons known to me, but I wouldnt put out a trolley system without one, also for reasons known to me, and if in the future, if you ever develop a trolley system, you may one day work out the advantages.

I would ask you what the real industrial chemists interpretation of the Latin phrase was, but I wont bother as I probably wont get a reply anyway.  I think you better get your book out and look up the meaning again.

Peter

Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 12 January 2004
Paranoia ?  
you judge..!
I think his wheels come off...!
Dom

"Est modus in rebus"
Moderation in everything.

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 12 January 2004
Hi Dom
Have you deleted any of your replies from here as some parts are missing (mothercare ones)
Out of interest
Cheers
Alan

Posted by peterf (peterf), 12 January 2004
on 01/11/04 at 22:27:35, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Hi Alan,
please read my first reply on this thread again. Good technical advice endorsed by 2 other experienced operators, particularly APS who I know worked for many years as a technical manager with Tasker, a large cleaning company in the N.W. operating several mobile, commercial window cleaning platforms. Industry people.
 Where do I slag off the competition in my reply?, I've read it again and I simply dont understand how you are reading it..!
  However study Peterf replys, he's the one having a go, trying to get personal, "I would'nt know how to etc etc." I think if you are looking for insecurities, you are looking in the wrong direction....!
Keepin it real as always,
Dom  

Dom, Allan was referring to your post slagging me off, the one with the mothercare statement in it, the one that was withdrawn from the board.

Did everyone know you can withdraw your posts if you change your mind after you post the message on the board?  A bit misleading if someone answers to a statement that is no longer there, if a person is crafty and dishonest enough he could make out that the other person and not him is the one who is starting conflict.  A very crafty trick but Dom the message can be retrieved.

Did you read the post, the one that you wrote, the one that was withdrawn from the board, and still not understand how people are reading it?  Again I don't expect an answer, I just have a habit of putting a question mark in when I have asked a question.  Just thought people ought to know what kind of a person they were dealing with.

Peter

Alan
Mothercare?
Anyway, thanks for informing me that the lager in your local is warm, I'll have a cold bottle of Stella out of the fridge instead Cool
Dom
All Readers Of this Thread
Once again Dom gets the fingers tapping and the pulses racing. PeterF calls me dishonest and a "Sort of person" (Whatever that means?) Mr Reuben Reynolds
calls me a liar on this forum..! It makes great reading and I sincerely hope people are entertained. When people get hot under the collar with me, it shows that I'm touching a nerve..!
Remember, thats my job,
keepin it real, asking the technical questions for the benefit of all. If I upset a few people, so be it, but name calling is beneath me, but not others as it appears....!
Dom
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 12 January 2004
Hi Dom
Dont try to get yourself out of it.
I'll have one if yr buying
Cheers
Alan

on 01/12/04 at 00:27:32, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Paranoia ?  
you judge..!
I think his wheels come off...!
Dom

"Est modus in rebus"
Moderation in everything.

Moderation in everything, Middle course in all things, not much difference.

Definition of Moderation in everything.
"Said to advise someone that it is best not to have or do too much or too little of anything. "

The above definition seems like middle course to me.

Peter

on 01/12/04 at 00:56:15, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
All Readers Of this Thread
Once again Dom gets the fingers tapping and the pulses racing. PeterF calls me dishonest and a "Sort of person" (Whatever that means?) Mr Reuben Reynolds
calls me a liar on this forum..! It makes great reading and I sincerely hope people are entertained. When people get hot under the collar with me, it shows that I'm touching a nerve..!
Remember, thats my job,
keepin it real, asking the technical questions for the benefit of all. If I upset a few people, so be it, but name calling is beneath me, but not others as it appears....!
Dom

Sorry to disappoint you Dom, my pulse is not racing, I am laughing at you.

Where in my statement above do I call you dishonest?  I said “A bit misleading if someone answers to a statement that is no longer there, if a person is crafty and dishonest enough he could make out that the other person and not him is the one who is starting conflict” Now who is the one that is getting paranoid? I don’t see your name mentioned in the above sentence do you?

Anyway don’t change the subject; I challenge you to prove me wrong on the second last message I wrote.  You wriggle out of things by blabbering on about how much you entertain people, and how much good you are for the industry, and hope that people forget about the questions that were asked of you.  If I wanted to resort to name-calling I could think of a few phrases that would sum you up perfectly, but I won't do that, and you will never force me to.

So come on entertain, you are certainly entertaining me at your expense.

Peter

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 12 January 2004

Peterf,

I believe that you are only too willing to help people and not just advertise your products. A lot of other users are also aware of this. Dom,on the other hand,seems intent on stirring things up. I`m not saying he doesn`t know what he`s talking about because I don`t have a clue about pure water systems. But I think we all know Dom`s game now and your reputation wouldn`t be tarnished if you didn`t respond to his goadings. The same goes for Rueben.

If I want entertaining I`ll ask Dom.
  If I want unbiased advice I`ll ask Peter.

Gerry.

Posted by Neil (wylie), 12 January 2004
I have just got around to reading this Thread !

NICE TO SEE YOU HAVENT LOST YOUR TOUCH DOM
STILL RUBBING PEOPLE UP THE WRONG WAY I SEE!

GET REAL WHY DONT YOU!
Posted by L.Doubtfire (L.Doubtfire), 12 January 2004
on 01/11/04 at 22:38:57, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Dom

On what principle does the tap work Dom

Lewis.
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 12 January 2004
on 01/11/04 at 19:26:17, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Dom  

Dom, I'm flattered - thankyou.

However, for the purpose of others on here can I confirm that we have no association with Brodex whatsoever (and are not likely to!) and we're getting as cheesed off with his antagonistic appraoch as everyone else!

Regards

Mike Boxall
Posted by L.Doubtfire (L.Doubtfire), 12 January 2004
Peter,Dom,(handbags at five paces!!!) or should I say
squeegees.
Mines a home made trolley,also poles and brushes.
At the outset I`m no wiser like Peter said  to my orginal
post.Which is the way to go??

Lewis.
Interpretation;
I personally think it tends to be other suppliers that I upset; when they advertise their products on this forum and talk prices, I think they're fair game for a bit of ribbing. When people send me enquiries on this site and ask prices, I ask them to mail me off this forum as I dont think this is the best to sell goods. Since xmas, several have sent me private sales enquiries and I have responded accordingly, off Forum.
 When Peter for example answered the original question, on alternatives for key fob remote devices, he should post impartial advice about the merits of that device and then mail the person privately to peddle his wares.
 When I saw peter quoting £45 on this site for an item of kit, I merely explained that most people (99%) take a different approach this technical issue, in other words informing the uninitiated what the industry norm is.
 Unfortunately Peters response reflects on me, and his impoliteness becomes unbearable for most to read. I can live with it, I,ve called him no names, just given technical advice.
 Dom
P.S Just to confirm Mikes comments, Brodex have no tie up with Express Cleaning Supplies and were merely expressing gratitude at being able to contribute to the forum.
May I also confirm that I will not answer any questions from Peter F or indeed any other manufacturers on this site...they get too upset..!
on 01/12/04 at 19:19:06, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Interpretation;
May I also confirm that I will not answer any questions from Peter F or indeed any other manufacturers on this site...they get too upset..!

Nothing new then. Do you mean you will carry on ignoring questions I ask you?

Peter

on 01/12/04 at 18:56:43, L.Doubtfire wrote:
Peter,Dom,(handbags at five paces!!!) or should I say
squeegees.
Mines a home made trolley,also poles and brushes.
At the outset I`m no wiser like Peter said  to my orginal
post.Which is the way to go??

Lewis.

If you have a set up already then you could always work away with it without a remote control, at least you know one is available. If you come across a situation that the remote would be a big advantage in, then you could always add it on later.

Peter

LDoubtfire
The principle is this, I tell you what everyone else does in the industry, another manufacturer complains because they dont like my answer, everyone gets involved and I,m covered in mud...!
 With regard to the tap principle, all main manufacturers use 12V pressure sensitive window pumps. They use 12Volt because wet lead acid batteries are still superior for this long draw application and obviously most machines are located in mobile platforms (eg. Van/Trailer) Some Trolleys also come with 12V wet Batteries for the same reasons. However, this advice will probably soon be labelled bias, as a certain trolley manufacturer does not use wet batteries and probably has 10 dry batteries under the bonnet of his car. Dont believe me, please speak to a battery manufacturer for confirmation.
   A tap inline to your windowpole, when shut exerts a "dead head" back pressure. The pump cuts out automatically. Cheap, simple, uncomplicated , then the best ideas usually are...!
Hope this helps....? I'm off this thread for good mate...!
Dom
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 12 January 2004
Lewis the tap idea is ok except that it gets in the way and lets say you are using the pole at 60ft then the tap needs to be at the bottom, but when u use the pole at 5 ft then the hose needs looping to keep the tap at the bottom of the pole -all 55 ft of it. You can put the tap on the brush but to switch it off you have to lower the pole. A simple alternative is to fold the pipe inhalf and holding tight in your hand thus reducing  the supply or by  standing on it.
I should go an see an auto electrician and ask him to make you a remote switch if you feel you really need, but maybe the water is cheap enough to waste, my output as you know is between half and one litre per min. ( exceptionally 1.5 litres/min) which is enough for domestic situations.
Jeff  
Posted by pw (paul w), 12 January 2004
i have to agree with dom on this one.......[ is b&q l. t. d. ]  paul Grin Grin Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Huh
Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 12 January 2004
my God
has the dust settled yetHuh? I can not believe all this happened when i was watching the back of my eye lids!!  have you lot got no beds to go to or day jobs to go to in the morning?

But the answers still the same, i agree with Dom he may wined  people up a little but £3.99 is better than £45 sorry pete.
peterf i know you are cheap with your prices.  but dont forget  you still have to put your pole down on the floor to get the remote out of your pocket!
on 01/12/04 at 21:19:05, APS_PureWash_Sys wrote:
my God
has the dust settled yetHuh? I can not believe all this happened when i was watching the back of my eye lids!!  have you lot got no beds to go to or day jobs to go to in the morning?

But the answers still the same, i agree with Dom he may wined  people up a little but £3.99 is better than £45 sorry pete.
peterf i know you are cheap with your prices.  but dont forget  you still have to put your pole down on the floor to get the remote out of your pocket!

Hi APS, dont be sorry, it dosnt matter what you or I think is the best, it depends on what the customer wants, Lewis wanted a remote control and I told him where he could get one.  I knew Lewis had a made up trolley, and I know that a remote control would be handy for what Lewis is doing.  If Lewis had a van system, I would have told him something similar to what you and DOM told him.

The remote control hooks on your belt, and is always available.

Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 13 January 2004
I have used a pole with a little tap at the bottom, let me tell you - Pain-In-The-Bum!

It was the unger hi-flo kit, comes with an inline tap.  The hose gets tangled around everything, and is not easy to get at while manouvering a pole.  I had only 5 litres of water, and I wasted a lot of it trying to balance everything while I fiddled with the tap!

I could understand why you might think its better to use a tap/pressure switch combination, but let me tell you, try it once and you wont be in doubt anymore!

Peter knows what he's on about on this one, a remote switch is the best way to solve this particular problem.  I would have given my right arm for one on that day!

Silly
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 13 January 2004
Silly,
with that litre of resin in your sock, I'm surprised you managed to keep your balance at all...!
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 13 January 2004
Heh heh!  Yes that resin-sock carry on was a bit of a disaster in the end!

Dont try this at home kids!

Silly
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 15 January 2004
on 01/12/04 at 20:04:20, L.Doubtfire wrote:
Peter,Dom,Jeff,and everyone else for that matter.Did`nt intend to start World War 3
over this remote control `thread`
Hmmmm,Dom,,, I don`t know you personally but what you write and say sounds good,
and does make sense to the `pure water layman` such as myself.
I do know both Jeff,and Peter for some time now,and had a great deal of help from them
both over many topics and issues.(Jeffs last post is the most practical I recon)
Just at present I`m slowly making my way forward on the D.I. side of things and just flicking
a key fob to stop the flow looks good in my view.(First seen 3 years ago Blackpool trade show
`Wash @ Glow` Peter Fogwill)Hope this clears things up a little.

Lewis.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.