Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Is it Time we Looked Like Pro's?

Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 7 February 2004
Is it time to cast aside the muddy jeans and adopt a more professional approach?

I often see the scruffiest of people window cleaning, and ok it is sometimes a mucky job, but there is no reason for us to look scraggy, is there?

I am considering getting some black overalls with our name and logo embroidered.  Does anyone use overalls? How do you get on with them?

Silly
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 7 February 2004
I am considering getting some black overalls

Attaboy!

I've used black overalls for years. Good for hiding dirt, like you I think overalls look far better than jeans and T-shirts, they're easier to work in - much free-er going up ladders than jeans, in the summer all I have underneath is pants and maybe a T-shirt, in winter I have longjohns and thermal vests, in the really cold weather I have a fleece hooded top inside as well, loads of pockets, you look business-like etc, etc.

Having said all that, I'm considering getting us black cargo pants and polo tops for this summer, but that's still to be decided.
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 7 February 2004
never worked in overalls but we do have sign written jackets...what ones do you use ..full or bib and brace...
Full overalls - but we do roll our sleeves up in the summer. Once I got the sleeves cut back to being short  - just for the summer mind!
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 7 February 2004
Hey Silly & Wavie,
Good point. I agree. There is a shop I clean that does embroidery and transfers to workwear. I'm getting all kitted out with polo shirts and sweatshirts with my name on. I'm wondering about having some message done on the back of some T-shirts perhaps 'CAUTION- WINDOW CLEANER AT WORK' or whatever. Its true some of us just dont project a proffessional immage. Same goes for our van or car. It should always be clean. My car is'nt signed up but I think I might go for some of those magnetic signs. After all its free advertising.
I think the same goes for the gear we use. It should be clean and we should always be on the lookout to try new stuff. We need to get away from the George Formby image.
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 7 February 2004
We use embroidered polo shirts and fleeces. Look good and were really cheap.
Never say cheap - always say "economical" !! Wink

Anyway - any names of stockists?
Posted by tam (tam), 7 February 2004
We have had uniforms for years. ie: navy blue polo shirts, navy blue sweatshirts for cold weather, navy blue trousers. Co. logo on the left breast. If every employee looks the part, with your signs on the side of your vehicle to say who your are, (even some of you so called pros still go about incognito, as if to say guess who i am) people will recognise you and you will, i garantee you will pick up many more customers.  
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 February 2004
on 02/07/04 at 23:15:56, WavieDavie wrote:
Never say cheap - always say "economical" !! Wink

Anyway - any names of stockists?

Here is a link to a stokist that Shinny Shinner posted a few weeks ago that looks quite good.

http://www.michaelhope.co.uk/index.php?pageId=workwear&subPageId=catalogue&category=polo_shirts&title=Polo%20Shirts&keywords=Polo%20Shirts

Steve
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 8 February 2004
I agree, the image you project is what you are judged by.
I always wear overalls because it is cheaper than ruining endless pairs of trousers. Clean overalls and T shirt when canvassing definitely makes a difference.
Try this website for starters

Alexandra Workwear       www.alexandra.co.uk
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 8 February 2004
Check out     www.snickers.se     they have pockets all over the place and suppliers and they come in COLOUR.
My wife likes rally overalls from                               www.demon-tweeks.co.uk
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 8 February 2004
I agree 100%, we wear black cargo pants and red Polo shirts and Sweat shirts all the time. They have company name, Tel No and logo on the back and company name on the front. I had them screen printed and were very economical to buy.
Image is everything in this game.
Denzle
Posted by chartermarque (chartermarque), 8 February 2004
I have 'Bright' orange (you have been Tangoed) 2 piece overalls so that I get noticed as I am starting the business from scratch....often people comment on how bright they are, I say it stops me looking like a burgular! Grin

Just on this topic, I have made up an ID card with my photo and name on a business card which I wear on overalls when canvassing.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 8 February 2004
Just on this topic, I have made up an ID card with my photo and name on a business card which I wear on overalls when canvassing.

We've got to carry our photo ID local authority licence with us at all times - don't you guys down south have to do that too?
Posted by mogs (mogs), 8 February 2004
just got me fleeces signed!! getting the van sprayed & signed this weekend then t-shrts WHEN the summer cums plus thinkin of overalls also
think it look alot smarter plus it may bring in sum extra work as we look alot more professional now!!

Posted by paul (paul), 8 February 2004
me and all my guys wear navy blue uniforms we have the oyster trousers with knee pads /polo shirts /sweaters / fleece jackets/benny hats/safety boots plus all the clothing carrys the fed logo one side and are company name and logo the other with the persons name just underneath . also we have the reflective jackets and waist coats with our logo on when we do site work Grin it looks the bees knees Cheesy
What's Oyster Trousers?

Maybe I know them under a different name, but I've never heard of that term before.
Scrub that. I've found them  . . .

http://www.safety4u.co.uk/acatalog/Safety4u__Oyster_Workwear_5.html

Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 8 February 2004
i use polo shirts & fleece with hood with company name
they are supplied by a company called fruit of the loom
very nice Wink
Posted by paul (paul), 9 February 2004
i looked at your link that them but in navy blue but i dont pay that for them they only cost me £22.00 from a local supplier Cheesy
Posted by lbcleaning (lbcleaning), 11 February 2004
Have royal blue polo shirts with company name on, plus navy windproof jacket with name screenprinted on back. I always make sure the logo is visible for professional look.
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 11 February 2004
Winkwe use fed polo shirts name on it,cant have company name because we sub with them,so we use window cleaning division, Winkthey have fed logo looks good Grin

can be obtained from the fed Wink
Posted by cleaner_windows (mark-gee), 11 February 2004
i have had company written t-shirts from day one and they have gone down a treet. i come from a military back ground and i always swear on first impressions, and it works!! i have gained loads of custom with this simple marketing ploy..

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.