Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

pressure cleaning

Posted by aqua-cleanse (aqua-cleanse), 9 October 2003
HI names Dave
we have recently started a pressure cleaning co cleaning drives and patios ETC  with very good results  the problem is getting regular work
we have tried advertising but with very little response also tried leaflet drops and door knocking ( local council dont allow door to door )
Is any one in the same business and has a successful advertising agenda or good ideas on how to attract more customers
Approached  local council for contracts but said they would prefer companies who have been trading for more than one year and with references.
good news for next year ?  
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 9 October 2003
Good news indeed, of course you have to get there first!

Congrats on your new venture, keep us all informed on how it's going and what advertising works as it happens as this is a topic we all need help with.

regards

Martin Cool
Posted by steve_massey (steve_massey), 9 October 2003
we used to do quite a lot of jet washing. the problem we found is that at a domestic level when we went to quote for drives, patios people would say that they could buy their own jet wash and do it them selfs and save money. I did try to tell them that there was a diffrence between a £5000 industrial machine than a £49.00 one but they dont listen. We the moved on to a more commercial level. We went around the city centre calling into shops and restraunts and built a round up cleaning paths out side shops. To my suprise the big fast food outlets (mcdonalds ect) were are first customers. Also have a ring round your local haulage contractors ot clean trucks their is some good profit in that.
Posted by aqua-cleanse (aqua-cleanse), 10 October 2003
Hi thanks for the reply have tried to call on local shops but most of them said it is not their responsibilityas they only rent the shop. The owners of the shop,s  normally turn out to be some organisation down south and no one seems able to talk to you or say they will call you back ( phone still has not rang )
Mc Donalds have not tried them. Are they independently owned or are they run from head office ?
Must allso admit to calling haulage firms but they seem happy to let ther drivers wash ther own wagons.
I still work full time (evenings ) so thankfully dont have to earn a living just yet .All the equipment is paid for and the van.
Well back to writing letters and phone calls i suppose perseverance as the game
thanks Dave
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 10 October 2003
Aqua-cleanse, keep calling and leaflet dropping as it does work but you have to be different from the rest and show the customer that buying a pressure washer from B&Q is not there best bet as:
1. You do not get great results
2. They have to do it themselves and when really would they do it!
3. The cost of re-sanding in the joints
4. The cost of weed killer

These as just a few of the reason to help them make a choice, however, what i would say is that you should look at starting in the new year as weather could play a big problem for you.

If you were looking to do business with commercial customers I would recommend using factoring (check out the small business fed site for this), also make sure you have around 10million in Public Liability, as most big companies will not even listen unless you have this amount.

Alex
www.northernclean.co.uk
Posted by KG_JETWASHING (BLADE), 15 October 2003
hi all,

i want to start up a pressure washing,and could do with a few tips,ie how much to charge,how to get local contracts where to buy cleaning agents and so fourth!!
i want to start slow like doing weekends,as i have a full time job,and would not want to give this up until i had enough work to make a good living!!

thanks in advance for any advice

les
Posted by deanyoung (deanyoung), 16 October 2003
RE macdonalds.
Managers in mac.d. outlets have the power to pick and choose which cleaning companies they use, but if you speak to their area manager and convince him your the best company for the job ie. a demonstration, he will advise all his store managers to use you.Which area of the country are you setting up in?
Posted by steve_massey (steve_massey), 16 October 2003
Alex  Have you tried the plant hire guys on building sites
cleaning JCBs and diggers,dumpers them lads pay thousands for there machines and have them cleaned. We used to do them for a lot of plant companys its a bit mucky on building sites but they pay quite good for them to be cleaned.

We charged last year

JCB £35
360 catipilar £50
Dumpers £30

Good luck.
Posted by aqua-cleanse (aqua-cleanse), 17 October 2003
Thanks for the info ( will keep you informed )Dave.
Dean i am setting up in the north east Middlesbrough
Posted by deanyoung (deanyoung), 17 October 2003
Cheers Dave,if you don't mind me asking what machine/system are you using because theres a fair market in restoring/cleaning old stone buildings if you've got a decent system and your confident it what your doing.The people who want it doing will pay you well for a decent job.Good luck!Let me know how you get on. Cool
Posted by Drive_Revive (Drive_Revive), 3 November 2003
Hi

My husband and I have been trying to set up a pressure washing company - we are wanting to get in with council for things like nursing homes, parks, school playgrounds, graffiti etc - does anybody have any experience to shareHuh
Posted by aqua-cleanse (aqua-cleanse), 5 November 2003
At the moment im am trying to obtain the same type of work as you .
up to now i have not been very succsessful.
Ihave had some jobs in but not as many as i need to earn a living.
I have contacted business  link to ask their advice .they are going to find local businesses in my area including local council and supply me with all the contact names and tel numbers also addresses so hopefully i can mail drop to people with names rather than to (the manager ) and follow up with a phone call later .
my local council recomend you are trading for 12 months and have references.(found that out myself)
if  this approach dose get results i will certainly let you know.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.