Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Carpet Tiles

Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 23 February 2004
Hi folks,

Can anyone give advice on safe temperatures for cleaning carpet tiles, bitumen backed in particular,  with HWE

Over the years I have tended to use lowish temps' to avoid browning, but I wonder if using high temp' would be better as less water would be used & probably quicker drying would result.

I have never as yet had a problem with browning, but I'm still very wary.  I have a large job to do soon  so would value any advice

Thanks  Bryan
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 23 February 2004
Brian,

I assume that the browning concern is bitumen-wick discolouration.

I have cleaned tiles of this type ast high temperature (80+oC) without problem. Provided your equiment and wand technique are up to par, the tile surface will be at water temperature for about a second, after which the extraction/airflow of the recovery slot will reduce it to luke-warm.

The greatest risk of bitumen discolouration comes from over-application of spirit solvents (eg. chewing rum solvents.)

John.

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 23 February 2004
I had a customer who had carpet tiles in her kitchen, she used to take up the ones surounding her cooker and wash them in the sink with very hot water.

I've used very high temps on them with no trouble..

the only problom I've had is when removing chewing gum and making it 'furry' with too much rubbing.

Mike
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 23 February 2004
Only problem I have had with carpe ttiles was 2 weeks ago.

They curled !!!!!  but I dont thiknk this was due to the heat, more the moisture, anyway, next day flat as pancakes so all fine.

For carpet tiles I use  a combination of bonneting and HWE.

I bonnet the whole area and then just HWE any stains that dont come up or bad traffic areas.

The result is great and its  a lot faster even when having to set up the HWE as well.

Mark

Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 24 February 2004
Thanks John & Mike, your views on higher temps tend to mirror my own, but it is always nice to have this confirmed by experienced operators.  It reduces the " fear factor "

Yes Mark,  I have had the same trouble with several hundred yards of tiles curling a few years ago. Being in separate areas it didn't become noticeable till I had nearly finished, frightened me half to death,  but perfect next day !
Definitely not caused by heat though, I tried cleaning some more with nearly cold water out of curiosity.  Same thing happened!!

Bryan
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 24 February 2004
hi

i think bonnet or op tiles unless they are trashed is a better method . if trashed hwe and finish with low mosture

steve
Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 24 February 2004
You're probably right Steve, but I only have HWE & Host and I don't use the Host anymore.

Sold my rotary years ago when short of money.  Sometimes  wish I hadn't now!

Bryan
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 24 February 2004
hi bryan

you can pick up a second hand rotary cheap

steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.