Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

What cleaning methods do you use?

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 November 2003
I was talking to a few local window cleaners yesterday and realised that we all used different methods in the way we clean windows. Some use a damp scrim and a dry one some use a leather and scrim and some use just a slightly damp scrim. What cleaning methods do you use Huh

Steve
Posted by fez (fez), 8 November 2003
Medium - Large windows

Applicator (GG3) and squeegee, scrim to detail

Small/leaded windows

Damp scrim dipped in bucket with GG3, then dried with a dry scrim(I've tried a 6" squeegee but it was slower.

I've tried a few different methods to be speed up but the above suits me.
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 8 November 2003
i use a wet wipe down cloth in one pocket then a couple of dry scrims in the other pocket just bought a leather aswell wich i find is great for leaded windows i have been using dry scrims a long time now i no window cleaners who still use them wet but they shure hurt your hands when you rince them out and using them wet i find it can leave marks on the windows  just my opinian Grin
Posted by jake (jake), 8 November 2003
I've noticed a few window cleaners using wet/damp scrim to detail, they must leave a smear around every window they 'clean' Dry scrim every time!!!!

Jake
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 November 2003
When i put this on i forgot to say i use a leather and a dry scrim to polish. I wash my scrims every evening and then they are dry for the next morning Grin

Steve
Posted by john_archer (john_archer), 9 November 2003
Steve ,
          i use an unger micro fibre cloth and dry no. 1 scrim
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 9 November 2003
I use  a mop and dry scrim for leaded windows. Scrim has to be dry so I take a load out with me in the morning and change it regurlaly. I do use a 6'' squeegee on small lights and it find it`s great. A small spray bottle with gg4 in also helps on leads- a light spray and wipe off as normal. The wife`s just got a new face cloth/flannel thing made of microfibre and I`ve used a couple of times and it seems excellent so I might try Unger`s m.fbre. cloth and see if it`s as good. Gerry          
Posted by crystal (crystal), 9 November 2003
ive got a house with approx 30 leaded windows to be cleaned as a first clean will wash, wipe excess finish with dry skim. i have been advised to use a rats tail what do you think ? should it be damo or totally wet any advice appreciated as i can see myself being there a good number of hours , i was told last wcs took 2 hours working as a pair, ifeel an aching right hand coming on. Angry Angry
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 9 November 2003
Hi Crystal,
              I just use a rat tail and a dry scrim to polish with leaded glass but it still takes a long time if its old lead Cry

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 9 November 2003
H Guy's, I don't see the word squeegie used much?? I use a squeegie alot  Huh Huh

But then when i somes to leaded windows i just used my micro fibre cloth (damp with gg4) and a dry scrim and it seems to work a treat.

Now Steve has started this topic i'll be tryin all the different ways now  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mikey
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 9 November 2003
MIKEY, I  THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING LEADS,LEADED LIGHTS AND DETAILING.MY MISTAKE BUT I USE A SQUEEGEE FOR EVERYTHING APART FROM ABOVE. CRYTAL-I WOULD RECOMMEND A RAT TAIL ON LEADS BUT IT`S DAMPNESS WOULD DEPEND ON HOW DIRTY THE WINDOWS ARE AND THE WEATHER. HAVE IT WETTER FOR DIRTIER WINDOWS AND USUALLY DAMPER ON WARMER DAYS BECAUSE I LIKE TO FINISH OFF WITH THE SCRIM BEFORE THE WINDOW`S COMPLETEY DRIED OFF. GERRY.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 9 November 2003
On leaded I have tried all methods but  I have found that if I mop it first ,then use a squeegee  top to botom to get most of the water  off , then use a scrim to get the rest of the water off  it works well Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 9 November 2003
Hi John,
           Have you tried microfibre cloths Huh If you have how do you get on with them Huh

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 9 November 2003
Hi Steve
I tried the Unger one but was not impressed with it , it just soaked up the water and was wet  to quick , but scrim you can work with it longer before it is to wet  Cool
steve, ive  invested in a microfibre cloth & rats tail seems a good a place as any to experiment, hope to be on leaded job next week  will let you know which i think works best Roll Eyes Roll Eyes probably telling grandma how to suck eggs methinks  Wink
gerry, sorry i ommited ypu in my reply ref rats tail is this used purely for washing if so i dont think mine will be clean for long probably 6 months since last clean. whats best way to wash  by hand? or will it take more rough treatment assume washing machines a non starter then Undecided  
chhers in advance guys
Posted by mogs (mogs), 18 January 2004
the best way i find is to use damp cloth dipped in ur solution then dry and polish wi a micro fibre cloth. great job & quick.
if ur micro fibre cloth r to small get 2 together & get the wife to sew up 3 edges so u ave sumthing to hold on2 Wink plus u can turn inside out till u get bact to van for more clean 1's

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.