Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Big Vans

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 26 January 2004
Have you got a big van, Transit size or bigger with quite a bit of weight on board - TM plus etc. Question is, how do you go on with it.
         1. Does anyone object to you, on their drive.
         2. How often can you not get on their drive.
         3. Do you find, most of the time you have to park
             in the road, with pipes across the pavement.
         4. Do you avoid drives with block sets, imprinted
             concrete etc.

I have no problems at the moment with my Citroen Dispatch, but could do with more room and considering a larger van.
Dave.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 26 January 2004
I've a LWB transit, the only problems i've had are Knocking over a garden wall & dripping oil on a new drive.

no ones ever objected to me parking on their drive but sometimes I have to get out of the passenger side because its a bit tight.

Mike
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 26 January 2004
Dave,

I use a VW LT 35. It is ok around London - I can fairly easily fit it in a parking meter space and so far (6 years) I have had no problems with drives.

The biggest downside is not being able to go in car parks and having to deal with Volkswagen conmercial.

Nigel
Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 26 January 2004
Mike,

As well as being the 2nd best looking CC, you are also a Clean it up GOD.

"ONLY" knocking a garden wall over!!!! Embarassed
Did you build it back up?

I often ask people to shift their car off the drive so I can get nearer and off the road
Often park on peoples drive more than on the road, but then its posh round here. Grin

Phil.
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 26 January 2004
I run a Merc sprinter SWB Hi top with a blazer plus in the back , the sprinter is quite narrow so will get onto most drives but as I work in darkest Devon do have the occasional problem getting under arches (old inns / coaching houses )etc and working in narrow streets.

I am looking at the possibility of a chunky portable in a small van with seperate soil/fresh water tanks as some portables will operate 150 foot of pipe (worth a look)
regards

Mark
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 26 January 2004
Dave,

I have a Renault Master, it's a bit on the large size for carpets but great for my pressure washing business, anyway, back to your question I've not had a single problem with parking apart from doing the same as Mike at getting out the passenger side.

Alex
Alex,

You say you do presure washing.

What do you use, how powerfull is your washer.
Do you just do domestics patio's, walls etc.

Just wondering, was thinking of adding one to the van and offering this service.

Phil
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 26 January 2004
Smiley
Hi Dave

Do you need a big van? I did see at Alltec open day last year a van like yours with a t/m init, very impressive setup.

Never had objections from customers parking on their drive if they have one, if not I park in the road and some times double park only if the road is wide enough using a yellow flashing light, parking wardens leave me alone they think I’m on emergence work.  All t/m will at times have their pipes running a cross the foot path or hanging from a window/trailing across the floor, then you will need the appropriate signs (HSE)

Len

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 26 January 2004
Smiley

Mark

How much do you what for your t/m, not the sprinter.

By the way your unit will fit into a Vito but will need a special built frame and fresh water tank so it can sit on top, a great van will fit under any vehicle height restrictions.

Len

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 26 January 2004
Paul i did'nt realise i was clean it up god, does this mean i've won a spraymaster,  ooops no...... thats on the cleantalk board Grin

I did build it back up again, 15years as a brickie has its uses Cool

mike

Mick,

Wrong name!
Wrong Board!

Been a long day has it??

Phil
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 26 January 2004
Phil,

I use a Honda 3600psi pressure washer and I have a hot box attached when need to deal with any stain. I do both domestic and commercial work - let me know if you need any help with anything.

Alex
Posted by seanc (seanc), 26 January 2004
after doing a cople of years doing deliverys to country house's i have never had a prob geting in and out of drives a bit of time and driveing something as big as a merc sprinter is like driveing a nisan micra if you need a biger van go for it bear in mind the extra cost in fuel
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Posted by seanc (seanc), 26 January 2004
sorry about spelling but you get the genaral idea Wink
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 26 January 2004
LWB transit, no problems really, but I have customers on two offshore Islands and the Ferry charge is a bit higher than what a smaller van would cost, still they are two great little Islands
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 26 January 2004
Thanks for all the feedback, and Len - yes that was my van and set up - problem is I now have more equipment and I have to this out to put that in, and Id really like to be able carry everything together.
Dave.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 27 January 2004
Alex, you mention using a hot box with your pressure washer, could you give me some more details on it? (make, cost, size etc)

thanks
mike
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 27 January 2004
Len,

TM not for sale , I want another one though,if anyone knows of a decent s/h truckmount let me know.

Mark
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 27 January 2004
Mike, You've got a PM

alex
Posted by clive (clive), 27 January 2004
Mark,
I`ve got my Bane Clene up for sale if you are interested.

Clive.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 January 2004
Smiley
Hi Dave

I do like your setup, sorry Dave and All, it baffles me why every one what’s to carry all their equipment on a job, the more you carry the more mpg it cost you!  If I did I would need the likes of an lwb high top Sprinter or similar, then that would not be big enough and I would have problems parking.

I plan my workload if I need a portable then I take it, if I need a rotary I take it, if I need a scrubber dryer that go’s in the trailer the same if I need all, which often happen on commercial work.

Now I will be criticised but I like it.

Len

Posted by Appleton_Cleaning (Bill Appleton), 27 January 2004
I've not been doing this all that long, and dont have masses of equipment or anything, but I do have a fair bit.  As I use a portable machine, I find that If I'm prepared to bump the odd plastic box thru the (my) house, and plan my work, my Bedford Rascal is adequate to the task!  I know that it is extremely small next to some ( Image?) but it is clean, tidy and signwritten.

Having said that, were someone to offer me a Scudo, Kangoo, or baby transit I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up Grin Grin Grin

Does anyone have any thoughts/ opinions on van size? - aside from whether it will carry all your kit, does size matter?

Bill
Posted by Appleton_Cleaning (Bill Appleton), 27 January 2004
Don't answer that.  I've just read all the other updates on the topics. Roll Eyes
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 January 2004
Smiley
MARK

If I hear of one will let you know.

Len
Posted by allencarpetclean (allencarpetclean), 27 January 2004
Along the same line.........how many truck mount owners have them in smaller vans and if so how small can you go?
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 27 January 2004
I've just got a smaller van to put my new Boxxer in before I had a Bane and it would only fit in a LWB so I've saved on buying a bigger van and now I've got a brand new transit and it better at fitting on most if not all drive ways

Shaun
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 28 January 2004
Hi Len

I am not going to pick on you...honest Grin

I am totally the opposite to you...I take everything and would include a kitchen sink if there was room.

My vehicle (in non freeze conditions) contains:-

Two extraction machines
Vacuum
Spotting machine
Steam generator
Rotary m/c
Various hoses and extension hoses
Three floor tools and heaven only knows how many upholstery tools.
Two grooms
Protector sprays (one for carpets and one for upholstery)
Sundry buckets, s/s sprays chemicals etc.etc.

I am sure I have forgotten something.  

Oh yes...ME Wink Grin

Regards
Derek

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 28 January 2004
Smiley

Hi Derek

I know your not picking on me. Grin

I understand why you carry bits and pieces and so do I, but why do you need too carry so much machinery?

Never had a problem of van/equipment freezing wife goes on the drive van goes to bed with me; van makes money, this wife costs.

Sorry for my ignorance what is Rotary m/c?

Len

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 29 January 2004
Hi Len

Guess when I was young the 'belt and braces' method of doing things was always instilled into me. .. plus its a terminal case of 'old dog and new tricks'.

Scenario...A vacuum motor or pump goes on site... change machines and you are up and running again in no time.

My host machine (I forgot to include that in my list....but its there) which doubles up as an agitator  in addition to its prime use as a dry compound machine for Coir/Seagrass etc.

Steam generator for stain removal/ curtain cleaning / defrosting the fridge when the 'Governor' forgets to do so etc..

Spotting machine...easier to take in for those little stain removal jobs than the HWE 'beast'

Rotary machine ...otherwise known as a standard speed scrubbing machine used for the bonnet cleaning of carpets/combination cleaning together with HWE/ hard floors.

Over the years I have learned that whilst on site if the customer asks .."Could you do....?" I have the kit on board the van .."to do"

Oh, I forgot to mention I am also a meglomaniac!  Wink  Grin

Hope this helps

Derek
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 29 January 2004
Thanks Derek

Len Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.