Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

nervous on ladders

Posted by safecleanlakes (safecleanlakes), 30 October 2003
does anybody solely use a pole (not water fed type) for cleaning domestic windows as against traditional ladder work. i am so often asked can i recommend a window cleaner as there is a real shortage in the area, and am considering setting up, but as you can guess i dont like being up ladders, hence the question, thanks for any advice
Posted by peterf (peterf), 30 October 2003
I cleaned all my windows with a pole and squeegee at one time, before moving on to water fed poles. It takes a lot of practice; I also had to make a couple of tools to make it possible.

I don't sell the tools now but to give you an idea of what I used, you can see one of the tools at  http://www.window-tools.com/other/ledgermate.htm

Peter Fogwill

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 30 October 2003
Hi S.C.L
I too hate ladder work but do it as I have too for yrs now but A-frames are a ladder that you feel very safe on do you know anyone who has any or a shop near by where you can try out some.
Good luck
Alan
Thanks for replies so far, it is much appreciated, problem i have is that majority of houses in this area are on very sloping ground, and of dormer type construction, plus a lot are 3 storey. Due to this being my 1st year trading as a carpet & upholstery business, i am reluctant to invest heavily in what would be an add on business, in spite of what i see as a very in demand service in this area.
Posted by andy (andy), 30 October 2003
Hello safecleanlakes!

Im looking to expand my business at the moment, where do all these people want there windows cleaned?

any info appreciated!

ANDY.
Andy, many thanks for all the helpful info, it just goes to confirm what happens when a person lands on their head from a height, i see how much useful input you must give to this site !!!!!
Posted by crystal (crystal), 30 October 2003
this is my 2nd week of wc (only rained off once) i too was nervous on ladders but am getting to grips with it now, just waiting for the wind tho, i was asked to price a 3 storey house my ladders arent long enough so wwwould it be feasible to clean from position on ladder and make up distance with extension pole. i find with ole work i often leave lines any suggestions Huhon uneven ground i use the laddermate which i thought hope this helps Winkmight be a gimmick but it does make you feel safe  Wink Wink
on 10/30/03 at 21:19:00, crystal wrote:
i was asked to price a 3 storey house my ladders arent long enough so wwwould it be feasible to clean from position on ladder and make up distance with extension pole. i find with ole work i often leave lines any suggestions Huhon uneven ground i use the laddermate which i thought hope this helps Winkmight be a gimmick but it does make you feel safe  Wink Wink

No you would be too close to the wall.

If you can use a pole it is much better to have a longer pole and work from the ground, that way you can see what your doing and move around much better.

Peter Fogwill

on 10/30/03 at 21:55:55, peterf wrote:
No you would be too close to the wall.

If you can use a pole it is much better to have a longer pole and work from the ground, that way you can see what your doing and move around much better.

Peter Fogwill

in that case would a stand off be of any use or would i still have problems with movement.  Huh thanks for the reply Wink Wink
hI all
Have you seen these the ladder mat for ladder safety they are really good I have one.
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?ProdID=4506
Cheers
Alan
on 10/30/03 at 22:23:47, crystal wrote:
  in that case would a stand off be of any use or would i still have problems with movement.  Huh thanks for the reply Wink Wink

Yes you would still have problems with movement, and you would still be too close to the wall.  It would be very uncomfortable, and dangerous.

It may work for an awkward window now and again if you were careful, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Peter Fogwill

ta peter,
guess ill just stick to my more competively priced 2 storeys or buy longer poles & practise like billyo
better a poor live wc tan a rich dead un Wink Smiley
Hi crystal
I got my self a winspray and was cleaning the eves on a house Ladder was not long enough so climbed the ladder and worked a pole to reach.
It was really bloody dangerous and really stupid to try would not recommend
Cheers
Alan

hi al what is a winspray is it a machine  like a pressure washer can it wash windows & upvc soffitts etc i have been asked to price as an extra job any formula for a 3 bed detached house   Huh is this winspray expensive if so would a car brush on end of ext pole do job about how long would it take would imagine its a filthy job but someones got to do it any special clobber needed or just old threads
cheers in advance Cheesy Cool
Hi Crystal
here is the link for the wintecs site they do a load of winspray stuff
http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/default.php?osCsid=3a606528d3d0e3578ffd2de3fbb17b6b&manufacturers_id=16&osCsid=3a606528d3d0e3578ffd2de3fbb17b6b
I have the gun, 100ft hose and reel, Liq chemical delivary system, brush it is done by tap pressure.
It has been ok but you do need the chemical attachment.
but if that dirty might be better just getting up there by ladder cant beat elbow grease, is good though give them a call loads of new stuff coming out
Cheers
Alan

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.