Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

First clean pricing issue

Posted by Wishy-Washy_window (Mikey Y), 6 February 2004
I have a question for some of you guys back in Blighty,

If you was to price up a clean for a property, and  the windows are absolutely filthy dirty, do you charge a percentage more,and if so how much, the reason I ask this is.

although some of the villas may be worth half a million quid or more, they will leave the windows till they are deperate, and then pretend that they want them done regular, of course the next month I call to make an appionment, they dont want them done cos there still clean, they would be, cos I took of months of dirt last time i was there.

Thanks for any replies

Mikey Y
spain

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 6 February 2004
Mike,
If the glass is minging then we do charge for the initial clean. usually about 20-25% extra.
What i do is explain that as there so dirty it will take a lot longer to get them up to our standard. but that the price will go down next time as long as they use our service on a regular basis.
The only time we get caught out is when they have dogs that jump up the patio doors all day every day with dirty feet. No matter how regular they are that patio is always going to be filthy, but its only one window.
How's the weather on the Costa del Sol then Mike ?
Denzle

Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 6 February 2004
Its always been the same. There is a concept thats never been discussed in this forum before.
Lets call them the "one clean"s.

You get them as a new customer, give them a damn good clean all round and then next time you go back they cancel.

Any one else experienced this?

I'm sure we all have. Just have to swallow it I guess
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 6 February 2004
Hi Mike,
I know what you mean, the trouble in Spain is some of the home-owners are only there for a few months of the year. You don't want to loose the account because its going to be an all dayer (Anyone else reading this from England will be scratching their heads now), but you know that 600 odd windows isn't going to be a 2 hour job, especially after the cleaning woman has scratched every one of them with her spray & old rag.
I usually ask when they were last done, & figure how many hours it will take me. I take the owner on a tour of there house, & show them where they have been scatched & the problems of each cluster of windows. Once this has been achieved, I tell them how many windows they have approxamately & then give my price, and the blow is halved. I then go on to explain that they could use another uninsured window cleaner, etc, etc, but my approach seems to work, & tell them that the job will be cheaper next time on a regular basis.
I know you haven't got a water-fed yet Mike, but this does halve the time on the next clean by quite a margin.
Thanks Denzle, was thinking on those lines myself, I have had this on at least 6 times, maybe also with first cleans on new villas as well, as the glass is greasy sometimes and mastic lingering on the glass.

Ps weather been a bit chilly this week at about 18 dec, so had to wear a fleece Wink

Regards
Mikey Y
spain
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 6 February 2004
My heart bleeds for you Mike  Grin If its not raining its snowing or down to about -10 deg. Managed to get about 18hrs in this week.
Denzle
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 6 February 2004
One of the questions we ask prospective customers when they phone, is how often they want the windows done. If they hesitate, you know it's not going to be a regular clean!

I tell them although some firms charge lots extra if the first clean takes longer, we don't, we just absorb it and charge the normal price as we expect to have them as happy customers for years and years.

That's called auto-suggestion - and it works!
Hi Wavie,
I have tried that but to be honest some of them just lie, thinking to save them money, and it has done, on some occasions, trying to be a bit smarter on my part is the trick I think.

Mikey Y

Spain
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 6 February 2004
hey are you guys earning a living in spain just cleaning windows
No, not just windows, have my hand in a lot of pies Grin
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 6 February 2004
i wana work in spain boo hoo  Angry
Sad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad SadSad Sad Sad ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET STARTED  OVER THERE? Grin Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 6 February 2004
ME TOO Cool Cheesy Cheesy Cool Tongue Grin Cheesy Wink Cool

STUCK IN LONDON Cry Cry Cry Cry Sad Sad Angry Angry Angry Cry Cry Cry Cry Sad Sad Angry Angry Angry Sad Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Cry Undecided Sad Angry Angry Sad Cry Cry Sad Angry Angry
on 02/06/04 at 21:03:15, VGC wrote:
ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET STARTED  OVER THERE? Grin Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Yeah, cup of coffee in the morning, just after you get out of bed at 9 a.m.
Oh, and loose the jumper.  Cool Cool Cool

does this sound daft
we was thinking of getting some work over in spain ( about a weeks worth!) does it work like over here...set area's per month...i thought it would be nice to fly over with my bucket and ladder Grin and do a weeks work have a swim and a curry and pop back home......stupid or not ...you decide...
i love to dream
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 6 February 2004
VGC
Will this ladder do
http://www.laddersuk.net/2640/frames.php
click on special ladders
Grin Grin Grin
no
i was looking for a roof rack for an aeroplane Wink
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 6 February 2004
I have tried that but to be honest some of them just lie, thinking to save them money

Hi Mikey,

Once, when one numpty left a note on the front door on the day we were due back for the second clean to say he didn't want the windows done, I posted what we'd previously charged him through his letterbox and explained that I was putting the dirt back on as I didn't want him to think that I'd taken his money under false pretences. Never heard a squeak from him, but I'm sure whoever he got for the next clean must have had a good idea of what had happened  Wink

I don't often get ratty with folk but he was special!
Posted by mogs (mogs), 6 February 2004
Huh Huh Huh Huh Huhi had 1 oel bat tht id cleaned the windows for the first time, she used to ave a dif w/c who was semi retired if ya no wot i mean... tho when i called for the money she said tht the other guy had cleaned them also but hadnt done a very good job. leaving bird poo on them, i asked when this was & found tht it was b4 us. asked the women was the poo still there & rightly she said no tht we had removed it. i then asked was she goin to pay us for the job, she told me tht she wasnt payin 4 to w/c's tho she also wasnt paying for her other as he hadnt done the job right.. at this stage i was agout to blow a gasket, tho i kept me cool and said well if ur happy wi the guy tht calls twice a year stick with him. OHHHH but im not happy  Huh. then she said tht if he didnt return on a regular bassis tht she wud give me a shout when she see's me, after not paying me & wasting even more of my time trying to get the money of her u no wot i was saying walkin away. tht was over 2 yrs ago when i first started & she HAS asked me a couple of times to wash her windows which i have bluntley said NO!! ive had the same attitude wi tht sort of person ever since and found tht its no great lose as every time i loose 1 i get another round the corner r even there next door neibour  Grin..
love this job!!!   Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.